WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    Where do you get a merino wool removeable sleeve shirt, do you have a link? I googled this, & am unable to find this.

thanks!
    There isn't one.

I use a merino wool t-shirt and then buy the sleeves to add on.

Like these...
    http://amzn.com/B003DONJG2

My favorite is Railriders Ecomesh. Skitters can get through the mesh panels, so sometimes have to add deet or a windshirt if they are really bad.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

The lightest long sleeve, outside of a UL silk shirt @ 2.7 oz, , will be the GoLite Wildwood trail ~3.3 oz. Treat with permethrim and no problems.

I agree with the merino wool sentiment. Best bang for the buck are the golite merino shirts (SS or LS). I have 2 of the former and one of the latter and they are great. You can wear the LS in the summer and still won't overheat (that might be a bit of a stretch)

I like the Patagonia Cap 1 SW Crew. Weighs 3.5 and is super durable. It doesn't breathe as well as Cap 2, though.

Cheap poly "Starter" brand (L/S or S/S, depending on temps) tee plus a squirt of DEET. Cheap, reliable, and totally unfashionable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoD View Post
    Go barechested and let your skin breathe people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    TechnoD you musk be popular with the lasses no?
    Well the lasses would be popular for sure.

I've been using a Silver Ridge Shirt from Columbia which is nice but above 70-75 degrees it gets kinda hot while fully buttoned up. I would usually use a short sleeve mesh running shirt or a polyester short-sleeved dress shirt. The real issue for me is what to do when it's hot AND there are alot of bugs out; that can be challenging for your clothing system, especially if you sweet alot like I do. If there are no bugs and its hot out, I hike in compression shorts and no shirt with two over sized bandanas covering my shoulders and back to avoid chaffing from the straps.

I'm hiking the New Jersey to Mt Washington section during the summer so I need a shirt that is light and protects me from mosquitoes. The Silver Ridge is great, I used it for my section hike from Atkins to Damascus this last week to great effect but day time temperature was about 40-70 which is very mild. When it got warmer (around 75) I experimented and left it buttoned up to see how comfortable I was. Like I said I was a bit warm, but I have a VERY low tolerance to heat and sweat alot. It's a nice shirt so I would recommend it for most users, but I might need something a bit lighter. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Images

Long sleeve Columbia Tamiami Lightweight and picked up for $23 on amazon

I've got several of the Columbia Tamiami shirts. Seem to actually work as advertised. _Wish_ I had only paid $23/each!

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Default Searching for the perfect hiking shirt

Do they list the size? Any idea how much this shirt weighs? I need a light weight bug shirt for Isle Royale this summer. I'd soak this down with permethrin.

Images

I noticed that too, no sizes listed. When I got mine, it said large in the title. It's very light and runs just a tad big. Columbia states it's their lightest weight fishing shirt. They're asking $46 now for the one I got for $23 a couple of weeks back.

My Columbia Titanium XL/TG (white) weighs 7.3 oz and the sleeves cover my arms almost to the knuckles. SPF etc.

Just got the Tamiami shirt today and i'm loving it. It's way lighter than the Silver Ridge. The size they have is XL which fits me perfect. I was taking a risk by buying it as I normally wear XXL but it worked out beautifully. I only wish they had more in different colors. I'm wearing it right now at work. It's very hot in the computer room here and I sweat so this is great for that. I only have two complaints; one, the shirt has way too many labels and patches on it which ruin the look of the shirts but I was able to take them off; second, the color of the loop cords for the sleeves are a weird color that contrasts too much with the rest of the shirts pattern. Besides that it's really cool and after some alterations, stylish and neat enough to wear to work/school.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh yeah one more complaint; the collar losses shape if not buttoned and sticks out weird. A minor point, I know, but I like clothes that I can wear everywear not just on the trail.

Images

Glad you like the shirt! They have another called the Super Tamiami, which all have a very muted checkered pattern. That's actually the one I got for $23.

+1 on the starter brand from Wally World. Cheep and doesn't stink much. And at less than $10...hard to beat IMO.

my two go-to shirts for New England weather summer hiking are,
    Icebreaker Sonic
    It's a short sleeve, at 150weight, but they make this long sleeve at 120weight, which should be even lighter,
    Aero

My other is an OR Echo, which they make in both short and long sleeve. It's the lightest, most breathable shirt I've been able to find,
    Echo

it can be found on STP for fairly cheap.

I've done the Permethrin thing as well with a few of my items. Next summer I plan to use it on all my hiking clothes. I will say the best way to apply it is to buy the 10% concentrate stuff, which can be found at a farm supply store (or maybe even Walmart?), and make a bucket sized mix with water to get to ~0.5% to soak for a few hours. Here's a good link on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    My Columbia Titanium XL/TG (white) weighs 7.3 oz and the sleeves cover my arms almost to the knuckles. SPF etc.

I am 6' 1" @ 212. I've found a lot of shirts (and I'm not a gorilla) have sleeves that are too blinking short.
    Hence the comment about sleeves to the knuckles.
    Florida mosquitos will convene a discussion forum to argue about where to start munching. And deer flies are dive bombers. I cover up as much as I can stand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++