WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1481 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 481 981 1381 1431 1471 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1491 1531 1581 1981 ... LastLast
Results 29,601 to 29,620 of 49000

Mom.... so good to have you back! Hugs all around. You've been missed and celebrated here.

Images

good to see you mom.
    coach and i are leaving for the airport, pick up oz and daniel. check in with you later

Excuse me... excuse me... coming through... don't look now HM, but you are no longer an 11, you are a 12. Someone just bumped you down the list in Café rankings.

Let's see now... WOO could be next?
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 03-16-2013 at 10:53.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

How do I post after that Birdbrain? your tweets are so soapy....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    How do I post after that Birdbrain? your tweets are so soapy....
    Is that a good thing? I try to say something coherent once in a while. I try to be pertinent even less. I try. Oh well, no matter where you go, there you are.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Morning Joke.....

An orienteer was running along one day when he came to the narrowest part of the River Severn in England. Seeing another orienteer on the other bank, he called out, 'Hey, how do I get to the other side?'

The other orienteer, who incidentally came from Wales, looked carefully along the bank to the left, then carefully along the bank to the right, thought a bit, then called back, 'You are on the other side.'
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

It was a windy day as WOO & BirdBrain walked to the top of Katahdin. There they met a UL lady hiker wearing a sports kilt coming toward them. Her kilt blowing in the wind revealed that she did not pack underwear. WOO says to BirdBrain, "what do we say to her, I am distracted". BirdBrain says, "let's talk about the weather". So as she passes WOO says, "Airy isn't it?" To which the UL hiker says, "What did you expect, feathers?"

Update - Landed and taxiing.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Update - Landed and taxiing.
    Latest - Arrived
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    dad got the test results back from the biopsy-no cancer.hes okay
    its all good
    Great news!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hey all you cafe folks, I'm getting married!!

(no, really, she said YES!)

Congrats!!!

Images

hikermom needs hugs. will everybdy send her hugs please?

ok {{{{{{{ hikermom}}}}}}}

good to see you mom.
    coach and i are leaving for the airport, pick up oz and daniel. check in with you later
    Awesome... good luck with everything... HI Coach!! Give them all a hug for mee!!

Quote Originally Posted by S'more View Post
    Great news!!

Quote Originally Posted by S'more View Post
    Congrats!!!
    Sweet!!!...............................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    paddling my canoe with a couple of buddies
    it's pink. really.

thinking of that too. it's 68 right now heading into the mid 70's. Nothing wrong with a pink canoe or kayak.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I fiddled with my 1st homemade alcohol stove some more this morning. I do not get it. It runs good and all. I guess my expectations were too high. Then I looked online for amount of fuel needed per boil for an efficient one. 2oz per boil? That times 16 equals 2lbs. We will be in the woods and average of 8 days at a time on our Maine walk and hope to be able to boil water morning and night. I see no weight savings here even if I had one that worked fantastic. I think I am done with that experiment.
    60 ml per boil? How the heck much are you boiling? My Penny boils a half-litre of water on 20-25 ml of fuel in warm weather. On three-day trips with my daughter, I've never exhausted a 250 ml fuel bottle, cooking for two, making oatmeal and coffee in the morning and a hot meal at night. (I recently packed about 400 ml for myself for a four-day trip, but that was because I thought I might need to melt snow.)

Are you using a windscreen? Not only does a windscreen block the wind, it reflects the heat back into the stove and channels the hot gas around the pot. Big efficiency boost.

Are you using something to keep the base of the stove off the cold ground? You lose a lot of efficiency otherwise. I use the bottom of a soda can, cut right around where it starts to narrow, but with three tabs sticking up to hold up the stove. It doubles as a primer dish in cold weather. (The Penny is supposed to be self-priming, but it isn't, quite, in subfreezing weather.) If I'm not using it to steam something, the disc from my Fauxbaker goes on the ground under the whole shebang to reflect heat upward. That also makes a big difference in efficiency.

8 days, boiling morning and night, is starting to get close to the range where a Whisperlite makes sense. As you stretch out the trip, naphtha always wins eventually, because it simply has a higher energy content than butane or alcohol.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Mom.... so good to have you back! Hugs all around. You've been missed and celebrated here.

I've got PLENTY of friends and BACKUP.... I don't know if "they" do... I think NOT. I'm feelin the love!! Thanks ya'll... I just hurt for a lil while.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yaaaaay! HM's back!

(I know we don't agree on everything, but I try at least to be respectful. I hope I didn't give offense, over in that asinine thread. I should know better than to go feeding trolls.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++