WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Drugs on the trail

No, not THOSE types of drugs!

So I was off for a day hike (which was one of two this weekend that totally kicked my ass... think I should just stick with spring, winter, and fall hiking) and I passed a guy who had rolled his ankle. He was with a friend and had plenty of mobility, but was going to come off the trail at the nearby road crossing to get picked up. I offered him some Advil but he said he'd already taken something (can't remember the name... some sort of strong muscle relaxer... said it's the only reason he's able to keep hiking.)

This got me thinking, what drugs do you all carry on hikes? I just have advil and benedryl (for my minor bee allergy) as well as tums, which doesn't really count anyway. If I were to have a really bad sprain or something, I'm wondering if the advil would do me any good.

So, what do you all take with you?

immodium

geek

Images

me, just ibuprofen, but if you take drugs for every little thing normally then you might need them. (if you need to take pills as per doc, take them)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Immodium, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Advil.
    * Ibuprofen is not for everyone. Like Asprin, make sure you don't have stomach ulcers and you're not on blood thinners.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Many hikers already know this, but for those who don't: Do not share any prescription painkillers on the trail! No matter how well intentioned it is - if the hiker has an adverse reaction or later is severely hurt from a fall or whatever while it is still in their system, you can be criminally or civilly charged or at absolute worst - charged with manslaughter or intent to distribute.

Images

Drugs on the trail ! Maybe WOO should chime in about now.

Seriously, most carry Ibuprofen, a couple of aspirin, benadryl, and a couple of Tums. IMO, If you need "real" pain meds, you should probably be off the trail for a spell.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Ibuprofen, immodium, nasal decongestant spray (for getting to sleep when my sinuses are clogged) are the three things I don't set off without. Benadryl, Sudafed and Pepto-Bismol tabs are optional but I've brought them along before.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries

I carry ibuprofen, immodium, tylenol, antihistamine , benadryl, and a few oxycodone.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Eppi pen (Epinephrine injection), prednisone, 1% cortisone creme...all for allergic reactions; advair and albuterol for athsma; prescription pain killers; batadyne for severe cuts; second skin for cuts, blisters, etc; most importantly, clove oil for tooth aches out in the field. Always carry a couple of day doses of strong antibiotic...never know when you might get a bad infection.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Doxycycline for Lyme disease.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Ibuprofen (or naproxen sodium). Diphenhydramine. Famotidine - both as an antacid and (an off-label use) to potentiate the diphenhydramine for use in insect bites or poison ivy. Bismuth subsalicylate. Loperamide - just 4x 2 mg tabs, enough to get me off the trail. Maybe a prescription painkiller, again just a dose or two to get me off the trail. Triple antibiotic ointment. Acetazolamide if I'm going to be at higher elevations than we have here in the East. On a long trip I might want to consult a doc about some sort of empirical antibiotics, but right now I don't do long trips. The other stuff will hold me together long enough to get to a doc in a town.

I carry them sorted into tiny plastic bags (such as small electronic parts or notions are packaged in) and labeled.

Oh, and the most important drug of all on the trail - hand sanitizer and/or soap.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

ibuprofen, naproxen, tums all in small pill bags.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I also take generic versions of maximum strength Pepcid AC or Tagament, both of which are twelve hour acid neutralizers. Hiking with a pack on does something awful for my acid reflux. I'm not sure if it's the physical exertion or just having the hip belt synced all day that cause it, but these help a lot.

Besides that as others have said:

Ibuprofen
    benedryl - also helps you sleep at night
    Zyrtec - 24 hour allergy med

Plus these in the first aid kit
    Pepto bismulth tabs
    Immodium

I usually bring more than I need and am willing to give them out to fellow hikers if they really need them. This is one of the reasons I only bring over the counter drugs.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-06-2012 at 22:26.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

While I have regularly used "Vitamin I" (Ibuprofen) on section hikes, what is the difference between ibuprofen and naproxen?

Lots of Ibuprofen and some Immodium AD. Also daily vitamains (A to Zinc, E, C, and baby asprin).

After a case of the Beaver Fever in maine.....Flagyl

Images

Ibuprofen - enteric coated tabs to protect my sensitive tummy-tum, Aleve (can switch off with Ibu), extra strength Tylenol for simple pain, Claritin (spring pollen allergies) for sure next time. I think I'll plan on 1 tab per day of each, 7-10 days worth. Lots of pills, but I won't be taking them all each day, except for the Claritin.

I can't take prescription pain meds - intestinal problems.

Took immodium, never needed.

Hand sanitizer to make sure I didn't have to use the immodium.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Since you asked

I've been on statins for over 25 years -- started with Mevacor but now take Lipitor.
    I've also taken Avalide for blood pressure for about ten years.
    I thus take both of the above every day, usually as one of the first things I do after waking up.
    I take aspirin daily at home, breaking the normal tablets in two. As doing so on The Trail would be a pain, I instead take one tablet three times a week.
    I carry one or two prescription sleeping pills in case my (normal) sleeping difficulties while tent camping get to be a problem.

In my "medicine chest" I have bismuth tablets, cortisone cream, throat lozenges, antihistamine pills, and antibiotic cream.

Bizarre as it may sound, for all the medicines I carry, I've never used ibuprofen in my life -- not even after my knee surgery. If I were hurting THAT badly, I change what I was doing rather than take pain medicine.

Journal Entries
    Images

not everyone knows this, but ZANTAC (stomach acid pill) is also an anti-histamine; as is PEPCID. [of note: prilosec, protonix, nexium are not anti-histamines]
    If you ever go to the ER with an acute allergic reaction, you'll likely be treated with this combination: IV benadryl IV zantac IV steroids and in some cases IM/SQ (muscle/skin shot) of epinephrine.

Because of this, I carry benadryl and zantac. I bring aspirin because I'm afraid if I don't I'll meet someone having a heart attack. I'm a fan of aleve (mostly because it's smaller and stronger). And colace.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

vitamin I, zantac-acid blocker, pepto-bismol, immodium-anti-D ,benadryl, loratidine w/ decongestant, doxycycline, percocet, endurolytes-electrolyte. the Ibuprofen, zantac/pepto, and allergy meds get used...
    See ya when I get there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++