WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Marmot Precip Jacket Opinions, Please

Greetings !!

Looking at the Marmot Precip tall, both as a wind shirt and rain jacket. I've seen good and bad reviews. Juggling prices at REI (free shipping + 20% savings ending today: 13 Apr + dividend), I can get one for about $85. Camp-mor has it for about $99 + shipping.

Basic stats: I'm 6'2'" and back up to 210 # or so. I dropped 30 # in 30 days on my 2012 attempt. I have "ape" arms (long).

Questions for anyone who has or used this jacket:

1. How would an XL fit vs. a L, over an insulated vest or something?

2. How has the waterproofing lasted? I've seen reviews that have it gone in a light dew 3 counties away, while others have stated the waterproofing has lasted through the last 125 years of monsoons.

3. Would you recommend this jacket? Why/why not?

Thanks in advance.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

OldHiker,
    I own & use the Marmot precip jacket and rain pants. As you said you will see both good & bad reviews on them, but that is true of most any type of rain gear as people have individual preferences. I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with these 2 items since I have used them only twice (both times in light to moderate rain) but I have been very pleased so far. Like you, I bought mine at REI on sale so I got a good deal. I am 6'4" and about 210 lbs and I wear a XXL jacket. That is what I think would be best if you are going to want room for a vest or other layer underneath. Hope that helps.

Images

Thanks, T-Rx.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

My first delaminated in 3 years. It was used almost daily. I believe that the delamination was accelerated by me stuffing it in my side pockets wet without always getting it out later to dry. Marmot stood behind it no questions ask and replaced it for free. I was extremely pleased with their customer service and still use the jacket frequently year round- I would recommend it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Wearing tall sizes your choices are extremely limited. The only alternative I know is LL Bean, who has a similar jacket I use for biking. I'd say give it a shot. If you're not satisfied, return it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've generally been happy with the Precip. Two to three years of use and it's a lot lighter and cheaper than the typical gore-tex equivalent. No issues with it stopping water from coming in. Not sure on breathability as nothing I've ever used breathed adequately, so I just open everything up that I can without allowing water to funnel in. For what it's worth, it's available at STP right now for $75 before coupon.

The precip is one of, if not, the best budget friendly pieces of rain gear. It works well, breaths ok, is durable, lightweight, compact, has a lot of features, and can be had for cheap. I've seen them on sale or steepandcheap for as low as roughly $60. The low price and very nice warranty from Marmot makes the precip a great value buy.

However, if you are primarily looking for a dedicated backpacking rain jacket, furthermore, specifically for a thru hike, there are much better options at a higher price point.

I would recommend the Marmot Mica or Outdoor Research Helium II. I got my Mica on sale for $100, the MSRP of a precip. Both are excellent, "ultralight" friendly (around 7oz), simple, functional, outer shells. They are simplistic jackets made for backpacking and outdoor use.

Can't go wrong with a precip, but if your trying to lighten up your gear load, this is a scenario where you can save a few ounces on the cheap. REI still has Mica's on outlet for $100. Compared that to finding a precip on sale for $60, and you just saved roughly 5-6oz for $40. That's a very substantial and worthwhile tradeoff in my honest opinion.

Images

I had a Precip. For the price it's perfectly fine. It's reasonably waterproof. I wouldn't wear it as a wind shirt, since for me anyway it's not at all breathable. Lots of decent features like pit zips and pockets and such.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Old Hiker: I am taking it with me on my thru hike of CDT this June 2014.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Section Hiker

Between my son and I we have a women's L and men's L precip. You want the XL, or even the XXL, to fit over anything and also remember you want it a little loose for some air circulation. We are happy with them, though we've had them under a year. He's a scout, I'm a birder and backpacker.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Have two Precip jackets. Good for light rain but not for heavy downpours or days-of-rain type hikes. I no longer bring them on BP trips but they're fine for day hikes or around town.

You might want to check out lukesultralite.com. he can make you one in pac-lite goretex for a bit more than you will spend for the Precip. But you will save several ounces

M currently on AT and have used my PreCip almost daily. Bought a larger size to fit my down under. It has been a good wind breaker and water proof, as have the pants and is a popular jacket

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Have two Precip jackets. Good for light rain but not for heavy downpours or days-of-rain type hikes. I no longer bring them on BP trips but they're fine for day hikes or around town.
    Yours is actually leaking through from the outside (not soaking from perspiration from the inside out)? If so, I'd contact Marmot to discuss it with them. I've never experienced that on either of mine, and have occasionally used them on long motorcycle rides in storms. No issues with them being fully waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Yours is actually leaking through from the outside (not soaking from perspiration from the inside out)? If so, I'd contact Marmot to discuss it with them. I've never experienced that on either of mine, and have occasionally used them on long motorcycle rides in storms. No issues with them being fully waterproof.
    The first couple of times I attributed it to sweat but the third time was on a hike with cool weather and no sweating. The outside of my mid-layer was damp. Luckily, the rain tapered off and the mid-layer dried out before to long. From the water-proof inconsistencies I've read about with this jacket, I think it's hit or miss whether he jacket will be water-proof. FWIW, I don't have any of these issues with my current jacket.

Images

Outside of mid layer getting wet is also indicative of sweat. It's the moisture gradient. Sweat leaves as vapor from your skin, gets cold and condenses against the rain shell or near it. It's part of why a fly of a double wall tent will get wet and is also often misinterpreted as the fly not being waterproof.

The only way you can really know it's not your sweat is to wear a vapor barrier.

6' 1", 200 with long arms, went with XLT. Works good with puffy at night. I like rain gear big to improve air flow. Undecided on pit zips. The hood velcro strap to keep hood out of face does not hold. Pockets not convienent, would prefer a top entry pocket, lose less that way or a chest pocket. Like the features on a Red Ledge Thunderlight, but it delaminated after three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    6' 1", 200 with long arms, went with XLT. Works good with puffy at night. I like rain gear big to improve air flow. Undecided on pit zips. The hood velcro strap to keep hood out of face does not hold. Pockets not convienent, would prefer a top entry pocket, lose less that way or a chest pocket. Like the features on a Red Ledge Thunderlight, but it delaminated after three years.
    I won't wear a rain shell without pit zips. With no way to prevent trapped moisture at the mid layer, zips vastly improve the comfort level as they help regulate moisture and temperature under the shell, IMO.

Images

I like my Precip well enough that I bought a second one when I wore out the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Outside of mid layer getting wet is also indicative of sweat. It's the moisture gradient. Sweat leaves as vapor from your skin, gets cold and condenses against the rain shell or near it. It's part of why a fly of a double wall tent will get wet and is also often misinterpreted as the fly not being waterproof.

The only way you can really know it's not your sweat is to wear a vapor barrier.
    The breathability of older Precips is not very good. Consider the new Precips with "NanoPro" coating and it "43%" increase (17,000 gm / 24h minimum) in breathability over the outgoing version. This means the old version had, roughly, a 10,000 gm / 24h. Not very good. Then there is the hydrostatic head of the current jacket (10,000 mm minimum) which is not that good but we are talking about $50-60 jackets.

My mid layer may certainly have been dampened by water vapor but that is a reflection of poor breathability of the older Precip jackets. My current Jacket is fully seam-sealed and has a 20,000nm, 20,000gm / hr rating. I have not had any issue with midlayers getting damp since switching to this jacket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++