WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: BPL is dying

Images

Default BPL is dying

For years I've used Backpacking Light and this forum. BPL more for technical discussions, and this forum more for discussion long distance hiking techniques. Unfortunately spam at BPL has grown worse over the past year, and much more so in the past week. It looks like the owner and administration there is completely unwilling to take even the most basic, free and effective steps to save their forum.

I know quite a few people here participate there too, and I suspect more people will sign up here as the fallout at BPL continues. While the primary purpose of Whiteblaze is for the AT, I hope it can accommodate BPL refugees as well.

Trailplace is pretty dead too

Perhaps the Ultralight sub-forum here will see more traffic. it is sad how BPL has gone down the drain, it got me back into backpacking after a long hiatus. It was pretty evident last year when Ryan stopped posting all together, despite nasty criticism and complaints, that he was letting it burn to the ground.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

They still sell subscriptions though... Been a member for years but for the articles, not the forum.

Maybe they ran out of Kool Aid.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Maybe they ran out of Kool Aid.

Touché . . . . . . . . .

Journal Entries
    Images

Sad to hear.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I moderate / administer various other topic internet discussion forums. The spammers have gotten more and more savy. I am sure that there are many attempts to infiltrate here (many of them I have reported, and our team here has responded very quickly to!)

At the risk of over-dramatizing things, I know it is hard to watch a forum decline. You invest something of yourself in a 'place' when you choose to post.... and watching that go by the wayside is difficult.

I hope all the BPL refugees find their place here, and have a smooth transition.

Might I also suggest that a small contribution might be in order.... we all invest in a site when we post, but a small donation can go a long way in building / maintaining a resource we all use and enjoy.

This gives you donating members privileges for one year.This is a yearly donation for WhiteBlaze.net
    Your extended privileges include:
    • All Google ads are removed
    • Can edit your own post for up to 15 days
    • Upgrade your PM storage to 200 PM's
    • Upload your own custom avatar
    • A portion of your donation will go to the ATC
    • Waiver the 30 post limit required before posting in the "Selling Used Gear" forum

Send checks or money orders to:
    WhiteBlaze
    159 Oak Hill Road
    Litchfield, Me. 04350
    Please included your WhiteBlaze username in with your donation.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I really have liked BPL and have been distraught that they have not found a way to effectively address the spam problem, at least yet, for the forums. The articles are still good. If the WB UL forum here benefits, that will be OK with me, but would not like to see BPL go belly up.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    They still sell subscriptions though... Been a member for years but for the articles, not the forum.

Me too... You are wise 10-K... I go there for the Technical info, here just for the jokes and snarky comments to new members asking questions... OH, and of course Hikerboys Cyber Cafe...

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    I moderate / administer various other topic internet discussion forums. The spammers have gotten more and more savy. I am sure that there are many attempts to infiltrate here (many of them I have reported, and our team here has responded very quickly to!)

At the risk of over-dramatizing things, I know it is hard to watch a forum decline. You invest something of yourself in a 'place' when you choose to post.... and watching that go by the wayside is difficult.

I hope all the BPL refugees find their place here, and have a smooth transition.

Might I also suggest that a small contribution might be in order.... we all invest in a site when we post, but a small donation can go a long way in building / maintaining a resource we all use and enjoy.
    I made a donation to Whiteblaze several months ago and right afterwards my entire series of around 25 trip reports got deleted and lost forever in the bowels of interweb effluvia. In fact, the entire Thread category got deleted and "lost". So, adding cash money to a site is no guarantee that money will help to maintain a resource. Plus, Whiteblaze has gotten bogged down several times with ceaseless spammers too.

Yes, no forum is immune to these guys... using the little "!" (in the triangle) at the bottom of the post to "report spam" makes life as a moderator much more easy.....

There are several spammers who have gotten so clever they actually quote snipets of a conversation from the thread in their posts.... hard to catch and tough to ban since they can look an awful lot alike a legitimate poster.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Just to be clear - I have been a member of BPL for years primarily for the articles.

I've also been a paying member of WB since 2007.

I was just over there. Seems ok as far as spam goes though there was a few.

But, to say it is dying is a bit extreme IMO.

Images

I did not renew my subscription this year. There are other places to get the info I need
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

I never joined BPL. They turned me off by requiring payment before you could read virtually anything. No way to judge if it was worthwhile or not. As others have said, plenty of other places to get the same information.

Images

The problem right now is thier software, its old, outdated. But the people there are great, and the information is the best.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

So what software are they using?
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Images

Thier forum is outdated, its from like the prehistoric ages.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    But, to say it is dying is a bit extreme IMO.
    Given that they having had any useful changes in response to the spam attacks, and that they rely on memberships to keep their business afloat, I don't think it's extreme, I think it's logical.

Spam attacks have been going on for the last year that I recall. It's become especially bad in the last couple weeks, and even more so in the last week.

The ONLY change is a script that deletes the posts of the spammer, but also makes the threads containing spam invisible. The change also seems to allow the spammer to continue spamming while banned.

Subscribers get 2 benefits of membership, primarily.

1. Access to articles.
    2. Ability to start Gear Swap threads.

The second benefit goes away if the sale ad is spammed unless the subscriber is technically proficient and persistent enough to keep bringing their threads back.

All members, including guests, benefit from having online conversations. Unfortunately those are disappearing too. What's the point of having a lengthy online conversation when it can disappear once or twice a day?

There is no reason to believe these attacks are going to stop. I don't see why membership will continue when the spam is dominating the forum during and after the attacks. I also don't believe Ryan Jordan cares enough about BPL to operate it in the red if membership does indeed decline.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++