WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Very Open Ended Question - Possible Options for a 2-week hike in either NH or ME?

Hi,
    I have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks around late July-early August doing a section hike with the hubby and/or another friend who may come along as well. We're looking at either the Whites or some part of Maine. We'll have at least one car so may need local shuttle support.

My question is basically, what section would you recommend for this time frame, and time of year? We're thinking about the Whites, but don't want to rule out some part of Maine (not Katahdin, we've been sectioning the AT for years and will probably save it for last). I've done from Springer to MA, but I want to get the "hardest" or more challenging sections of the AT done before I get much older That's why we're skipping MA and VT for now.

So, never having stepped foot into NH or ME before, but having plenty of other AT miles and backpacking experience behind us, what do you recommend for a nice 2-week hike up there? I understand the whites are very crowded this time of year, because it's the ideal time to hike there. What is a good start point? Can you get through the whites in 2 weeks if your average hiking speed is around 12-15 miles per day in other places? How far ahead should we look at reserving the huts?

If Maine is your preference, what section would you recommend for a good introduction to the north woods? I admit I would like to see a moose very much but I'm not sure when the male moose go looking for romance, so would want to avoid that time of year whenever it is.

Sorry if these questions are too broad and vague, I'm hoping your responses will help me to narrow down my options so I can start asking more targeted questions. Thanks in advance!

You could start at Rte. 302 in NH and head north over the Franconia Range, Garfield, Galehead, the Presidential Range, Wildcat Mountain, the Carters, Imp, and Mt. Moriah, ending up on Rte. 2 in Goreham. That might take 2 weeks, and it's probably the toughest section in NH. I wouldn't consider it terribly pleasurable, hiking wise - it's TOUGH!

The views, if you can get away from the crowds, are fantastic! Camping away from the crowds is possible but entails dropping off the ridgeline, adding mileage and difficulty.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

as far as time of year, late july through early septemeber, but you want to end up in monson on august 12th.
    squee
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 12-01-2012 at 17:05.

Let me guess. Hiker Feed in Monson on Aug. 12th?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Let me guess. Hiker Feed in Monson on Aug. 12th?
    we're planning the first annual whiteblaze prom.

You could go from 302 over Washington, through the Mahoosucs and end in Rangeley Maine. It's 112.5 miles from the peak of Mt Washington. You could choose any trail you wanted to go up Washington, and then hit the AT north. In my opinion this is some of the best hiking in New England. The black flies should be gone by then, and the moose don't get freaky until October, so that won't be a problem for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
    You could go from 302 over Washington, through the Mahoosucs and end in Rangeley Maine. It's 112.5 miles from the peak of Mt Washington. You could choose any trail you wanted to go up Washington, and then hit the AT north. In my opinion this is some of the best hiking in New England. The black flies should be gone by then, and the moose don't get freaky until October, so that won't be a problem for you guys

yesssssss!

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I just wouldn't know what to do for a dress................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
    its 112 miles of some of the roughest hiking on the entire AT.but spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I still aint dancing! I'm way to uptight to do that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I just wouldn't know what to do for a dress................
    you can refer to the cafe for choice of cummerbunds(tyvek, courtesy of water rat)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    i havent danced since i quit drinking. no no dancing

you say that now, but after a couple glasses of Alpha Dumbass I bet you sing a different tune!

I think I just hijacked my own thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    you say that now, but after a couple glasses of Alpha Dumbass I bet you sing a different tune!

I think I just hijacked my own thread!
    Nope Hikerboy did it! You were an easy target

Images

Nope Hikerboy did it! You were an easy target
    replies to anyone asking for suggestions for the whites or maine will conclude the same way:"as long as you hit monson on the 12th"

Images

youll want to reserve hut space assoon as you know your itinerary as they fill up early. the amc site www.outdoors.org has all the info on the huts, pricing and availability as well as info on shuttles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE-5Ye15PVY

Default Start north from Hanover

How about starting north from Hanover? It's 97 miles to Crawford Notch (Rt. 302) and 123 miles to Pinkham. A Hanover start means you have 2-3 relatively easy days to start - help break in the body! The real hard part starts with the descent off Moosilauke (hope for a dry day) followed by the ascent up Kinsman at which point your daily mileage will drop but I think 2 weeks is still sufficient to reach Crawford and probably Pinkham as well.

Timewise, a late July start gets you out of the black fly season and even the mosquitoes should be gone by mid-August.

Forget the Whites, I would suggest the middle section of Maine. There are pleanty of nice views and short above tree line sections. It's a lot less busy then the Whites, mostly just a few of the early thru-hikers. You won't have to compete for campsites nor pay to use them. You'll much more likely to see a moose (who rut in the fall Sept/Oct) and camp next or near some nice ponds. It's not an easy hike, but definately an interesting one.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Forget the Whites, I would suggest the middle section of Maine. There are pleanty of nice views and short above tree line sections. It's a lot less busy then the Whites, mostly just a few of the early thru-hikers. You won't have to compete for campsites nor pay to use them. You'll much more likely to see a moose (who rut in the fall Sept/Oct) and camp next or near some nice ponds. It's not an easy hike, but definately an interesting one.
    Would you be more specific about what you mean by the "middle section" (put-in and take-out spots)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++