WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best 6 1-Week Hikes

I am fortunate to have 6 weeks of paid vacation this year and would like to use each week for a section hike. I would like to work my way NOBO starting at Springer. I would like to to use the last week to finish on Katahdin. Progressing south to north, what other 1 week sections would you consider the best. I have a window from 5/1 to 10/31 to do this. Kind of a "sampler" hike. Transportation will not be an issue at either end of the sections. Actually, I will post the trips to offer rides for others if it makes logistical sense. I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Rightfoot

Im only familiar with the south, i would have to think the smokies- yes youll have to reserve shelters and pay $20 but they are still very cool and unique, Something in the area of hot springs-big bald and max patch which are pretty cool, damascus area/grayson highlands, carvers gap tn area, are some of my favorites in the south.

Images

How many miles a day were you planning on hiking or will difficulty of terrain determine that ? A section from Pearisburg north to Daleville, just under a hundred miles, would be my first choice in Va.
    This section includes the Audie Murphy Monument , Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

If I understand you correctly, No. 1 is from Springer and No. 6 ends at Katahdin so what you're looking for is the 4 in-between.

1. Erwin, TN to Rt. 321 outside Hampton - 83 miles - hike in June when the rhododendron blooms on Roan Mountain are at peak

2. Damascus to Atkins (I-81 crossing) is 75 miles - if not long enough, continue on another 11 miles to Rt. 42

3. Pearisburg, VA to Daleville, VA is 93 miles. Highlights include Keffer Oak, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs

4. NH White Mts. - Franconia Notch to Gorham/US Rt. 2 - 75 miles of spectacular scenery much of it above treeline - do this in summer.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

You need to think more in terms of 6 or even 5-day hikes. Travel time will be about a day in each direction, maybe even longer if you're heading up north. And there are often logistical issues, etc. that slow things down.

If getting a bunch of the trail done is your goal, you'd be better doing longer sections, maybe 3 2-week hikes or 2 3-week hikes. Longer section hikes are mroe fun--you get in better shape as you hike instead of having to start over each time.

I would suggest to go from Hot Springs N.C. to Erwin TN you should be able to do that in 5 days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You need to think more in terms of 6 or even 5-day hikes. Travel time will be about a day in each direction, maybe even longer if you're heading up north. And there are often logistical issues, etc. that slow things down.

If getting a bunch of the trail done is your goal, you'd be better doing longer sections, maybe 3 2-week hikes or 2 3-week hikes. Longer section hikes are mroe fun--you get in better shape as you hike instead of having to start over each time.
    Burger brings up a good point. To arrange for rides/shuttles and resupplying in town,laundry,etc will no doubt take away from the time on the trail. Three 2 week hikes might work better.

1) Sinking Creek(rt.42) north to Rockfish Gap, is 186 miles and every highlight , from the large Keffer Oak to Tinker Cliffs can still be seen in addition to the scenic trail thru the Blue Ridge Mountains.
    If time allows, you can hike a bit further into SNP for a few days. Waynesboro is 3 miles from Rockfish Gap on Rt.250 and is trail town with hiker services,including shuttle options.

I love it when the OP asks for information and the responders change the question to whatever answer they want to give. What part of 6 one week hikes do you not understand? Did he mention days on the trail? No. Did he say he was interested in 3 two week hikes? No.

Cookerhiker makes some great recommendations. I tend to do 20 - 25 mile days so I'll refrain.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I love it when the OP asks for information and the responders change the question to whatever answer they want to give. What part of 6 one week hikes do you not understand? Did he mention days on the trail? No. Did he say he was interested in 3 two week hikes? No.

Cookerhiker makes some great recommendations. I tend to do 20 - 25 mile days so I'll refrain.
    Lighten Up Fred.
    My initial suggestion to the OP s for a one week hike. Giving the OP some sage advice that he may not have considered is NOT a bad thing, let them decide.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My favorite "weeklong" sections, from S --> N:

Clingmans Dome to Hot Springs: The Dome, Charlie's Bunion, Cammerer Lookout, Snowbird, Max Patch

Erwin to Damascus: Beauty Spot, Roan Highlands, Watauga Lake

Hampton to Atkins (overlaps with Erwin to Damascus): Watauga Lake, Grayson Highlands

Dragon's Tooth to Buena Vista: Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, James River, Punchbowl Shelter, Lynchburg Reservoir

Kent to S. Adams: Housatonic River, Mt. Greylock

Glencliff to Pinkham Notch: The Whites

Crawford Notch to East B Hill Road (overlaps with prior): The Presidentials, Wildcat, Carter Notch, Mt. Moriah, Goose Eye, Mahoosuc Notch, Old Speck, Baldpate
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

so out of boredom basically i'm going to read too much into the OP's use of the word "sampler" and whether intended or not play with the idea that hikes spread out across the entirety of the trail rather than concentrated in the far south and far north are more what hes looking for. so with that in mind, obvious things like the whites and the smokies are out because theyre too close to the 2 hikes that are already set. so, i'd suggest-

killington to bennington (90 miles)
    taconic state parkway (NY) to high point (93 miles)
    SNP (or perhaps the south end of the park to beyond the park boundary, at the edge of my personal experience)
    and i'll let someone else make a recommendation for something that begins at least 350 miles north of springer and ends less than 700 miles north of springer (2nd 6th of the trail)

Journal Entries

One week vacation covers you for 9 days including adjoining weekends. Theres some travel time in there.

Default Best 6 1-Week Hikes

Shenandoah National Park...

++ New Posts ++