WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

If you're lucky like I was, the first snake you'll see will be about a garter snake that's about four inches long and the first bear will be the back end of one running away. Then you'll realize you're in their habitat and they have no problem going somewhere else to avoid you. Twice, in VA, during my hike I saw a bear straight ahead on the trail in front of me. Thankfully, not close. At least fifty yarsds off. We both froze when we recognized each other and neither of us moved until I said 'Hey bear' at which point they both walked off into the woods.

I also had a rattlesnake rattle at me in NJ. I stopped in midstep, put my foot back where it originally was and looked around to locate the little guy. I saw him in the grass on the side of the trail about three feet in front of me. I took a couple steps to the other side walked by and turned around to see it slither off on its way.

About 1/3 of the way thru my hike i realized I was more likely to get bit by a dog, which I did see happen to another hiker, than have a problem with a wild animal, bear or snake.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oneoldgoat View Post
    I am just curious at how others have overcome their fear of snakes. I plan a thru-hike in 2018, 19 or 20 (depending on when my kids graduate college) but will be hiking the MST next spring. The one thing I am afraid of is my own fear of snakes. Over the past several years, I don't freak out when I see a snake (I live in the woods, central PA). There is no way that I am going to let a fear prevent from hiking. I've never seen a snake on any of my hikes but rocky Pennsylvania, in the heat of summer??? I'm betting I see a few. Would anyone be willing to share how they've overcome their fear? I suspect that after seeing my first big, fat snake lying on the trail I'll be scared to death, but I am hoping that each time it will scare me a little less until it is no different than seeing anything else on the trail. I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule but I am hoping that someone will share their own experience in overcoming this somewhat irrational fear.

Thanks!

The more you know the more comfortable you will be.

I can only speak about snakes in AZ. I have run into 3 diamondbacks. One could only "hiss" because the temperature was about 45 degrees and overcast ( he couldn't even move! ). One rattled as my group walked by a bush it was curled under, it was about 10 am and the temperature was about 80 degrees. The third was in some thick, deep dry grass, my two friends hiked right by it, but then rattled because a branch caught my external frame pack and I had to stop. It rattled and I could not even see it until it "rose" out of the grass ( I got a good shot of adreniline, out of seeing that ). the temperature was, again about 80 degrees and again it was about 10 am. The two times the snake would rise, coiled and then move off. Each time I heard that rattle my eyes would automatically focus right on the area where the snake was.

I had been hiking many years before running into a diamondback, california kings seem to be more prevalent ( very beautiful and non poisonous ) . To avoid rattlesnakes I have become very aware of the ground temperature. Snakes are cold blooded and regulate temperature by moving in and out shade, and sheltering when the temperature gets too hot or too cold. I also avoid walking where through brush or grass where I can't see a snake. For some reason, I now spend a lot more time scanning the trail in front of me....

Find you a snake you know is not poisonous or will bite, one of those little green tree snakes would be ideal (caught one of those and put him in my shirt while biking, tickled a lot) and keep him as a pet for a while, then turn him loose.

I agree, this is one thing I struggle with. I'm not afraid of anything else. I guess it's insane, but I am not sure I could stay in a shelter when it's warm outside because I am so illogically afraid that a snack will crawl on my sleeping bag. Which I know makes no sense because they wouldn't be awake at night. But still, an illogical fear I have. I am a huge mushroom hunter and forager all year and I doesn't keep me out of the woods, just makes me more aware. And I'm a total wimp when I see one, not the screaming kind. The making funny noises and flapping my arms kind

Oh and mine makes no sense, I've never had a run in with one. And when I was younger, until about Jr. high, I would hold any snake you handed to me. I have tons of pictures of me holding them. My grandpa kept a massive black snake in the barn and I would go looking for it all the time. No idea what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Not ridicule at all. In fact, I respect you for using the term "irrational fear," as it most certainly is. You're much more likely to be hurt or killed driving a vehicle to the trailhead.

As others have said, snakes don't want to tangle with humans, venom takes so much resources to make that it is very precious to snakes and they don't waste it, most bites are "dry" (without any venom), snakes know they can't swallow a human so biting with venom is a waste, even wet bites rarely kill humans, snakes are passives critters, and I'll add that snakes are a valuable, wonderful part of the ecology cycle of nature. Here's a photo of a rattlesnake laying across the Cumberland Trail near Chattanooga, Tennessee last April. Yes, that's my foot next to it.

RainMan

For my post ever post here, I'd like to expound on what Rain Man said, here. In my opinion, the fact that the OP has a 'fear' of snakes, most likely makes him/her LESS likely to have an issue with them. Frankly, its usually people that aren't afraid of them, hence more prone to 'messing' with them, that get into trouble.

I have always had a fear of snakes. I remember when I was a child I came across a huge snake.. it hissed at me and I ran back inside as fast as I could! I always like to keep some snake proof boots in my truck. I have the second one on that page.. works pretty good. I'm new here and realized this is an old post so this might not get seen again but MDsection12 if you're still following this... I've had some encounters with the cottonmouth and that's not a snake you want to mess with!

So have there been any snake bites on the AT the last few years?
    And what should a person do if they do get bit ?

Unknown about the number of bites....

First, if you do get bitten, you are either male, sub 30yrs, or did something to cause the bite (play with the snake, antagonize, or even corner it) - first rule I follow is, give it space to flee, and AVOID A BITE SITUATION.

If that cannot be avoided - do first aid - clean, dress the wound, keep the bite lower than the heart, and call if possible. The good news is (from what I read) most encountered AT snakes only bite of reflex, and the venom injected is (usually) small - but you should not discount this - its still a dangerous situation.

In Saudi Arabia, one of our guys got bit by a sand snake (nasty bugger), and our medic hit him with Atropine, to increase his heart rate, and let his metabolism 'burn off' until he could be Medivac'd out. Makes sense.... he induced an IV, and monitored until the helo approached. It worked.

Not sure of the AT method, but avoidance should be enough, but seek help as quickly as possible after basic first aid

I was on the Virgin Falls trail last weekend and saw My second Rattler in 5 years. I was hardly scared but quite respectful. I had to manage about 13 boyscouts and 4 day hikers around him. He was huge lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I was on the Virgin Falls trail last weekend and saw My second Rattler in 5 years. I was hardly scared but quite respectful. I had to manage about 13 boyscouts and 4 day hikers around him. He was huge lol
    Cool, I've yet to see a Rattler....plenty of copper heads and others.

Snakes don't even compare to the top ten of predators. I think dying of a snake bite would be much nicer than any of these methods http://io9.com/9-predators-with-the-...ques-510100768

Wow, never knew a shrew had venom...sweet! I wouldn't mind being bit by a snake...as long as he lets go right away, I don't want to have to shake him off....that's BS, just bite me and move own, it should feel like brushing up against a stick or somethin'...those are my rules for gettin' bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Wow, never knew a shrew had venom...sweet! I wouldn't mind being bit by a snake...as long as he lets go right away, I don't want to have to shake him off....that's BS, just bite me and move own, it should feel like brushing up against a stick or somethin'...those are my rules for gettin' bit.
    Tell all your friends...if I gotta shake ya off, your gettin' turned into a wallet.

I love snakes, but can't overcome the "scream and run for your life" reaction when you stumble across something unexpected. We came across a timber rattler in NC last month. He was totally unimpressed by our presence and sat in the middle of the trail sunning. It certainly reminded me to pay more attention to the trail ahead.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

MidTenn Trekker

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I hike the Virgin Falls trail fairly often - also with Boy Scouts. Curious - where on the trail did you see the sizable rattler? On the top in the hardwoods, in the mid-altitudes with the rocks and falls, or down by the Caney Fork? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RADHiker View Post
    I love snakes, but can't overcome the "scream and run for your life" reaction when you stumble across something unexpected. We came across a timber rattler in NC last month. He was totally unimpressed by our presence and sat in the middle of the trail sunning. It certainly reminded me to pay more attention to the trail ahead.
    Identification of snakes, for me, is easy, if it looks like a snake its a North American Death Adder. I give all Death Adders wide berth and much patience to move on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    That's likely to be a crime. It's illegal to kill certain snakes in many states (I admit I haven't looked up which ones), whether you do it with a gun or a dog, makes no difference to my knowledge.

May be another example of a dog needing to be on a leash or a dog owner that can't or chooses not to keep their dog under control.

Rain Man

Where I live in Tennessee the redneck-afflicted love to kill pit vipers wherever they find them, including designated wilderness areas and NF lands. This is lunacy in my opinion as afterwards your karma will be so bad you'll get bit by a cobra on the face in the future . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
    I agree, this is one thing I struggle with. I'm not afraid of anything else.
    This is a bold statement. What, not afraid of lightning bolts when camping atop an open bald at 6,000 feet in North Carolina? Not afraid of a 3 day rainstorm and getting across the high water of a creek? Not afraid of a windstorm in a dead hemlock forest and falling blowdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by RADHiker View Post
    My only rule with the pit vipers is to focus on the trail in front of your feet and that's it. There could be a hundred rattlesnakes all around the trail but if they are not actually in the trail and you do not step on one, there's nothing to worry about. Oh, and when you throw off the pack to take a break next to the trail, look first. And when hiking by a creek, keep a careful eye out for camo copperheads in the leaves.

A copperhead blending in on the Slickrock Creek trail in NC.

A hard to see copperhead in camp on Citico Creek in TN.

A copperhead on the Bald River trail in TN.

Here are some snake pics on my recent trips---
    http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/snakes/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++