WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Overcoming fear of snakes

I am just curious at how others have overcome their fear of snakes. I plan a thru-hike in 2018, 19 or 20 (depending on when my kids graduate college) but will be hiking the MST next spring. The one thing I am afraid of is my own fear of snakes. Over the past several years, I don't freak out when I see a snake (I live in the woods, central PA). There is no way that I am going to let a fear prevent from hiking. I've never seen a snake on any of my hikes but rocky Pennsylvania, in the heat of summer??? I'm betting I see a few. Would anyone be willing to share how they've overcome their fear? I suspect that after seeing my first big, fat snake lying on the trail I'll be scared to death, but I am hoping that each time it will scare me a little less until it is no different than seeing anything else on the trail. I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule but I am hoping that someone will share their own experience in overcoming this somewhat irrational fear.

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oneoldgoat View Post
    I am just curious at how others have overcome their fear of snakes. I plan a thru-hike in 2018, 19 or 20 (depending on when my kids graduate college) but will be hiking the MST next spring. The one thing I am afraid of is my own fear of snakes. Over the past several years, I don't freak out when I see a snake (I live in the woods, central PA). There is no way that I am going to let a fear prevent from hiking. I've never seen a snake on any of my hikes but rocky Pennsylvania, in the heat of summer??? I'm betting I see a few. Would anyone be willing to share how they've overcome their fear? I suspect that after seeing my first big, fat snake lying on the trail I'll be scared to death, but I am hoping that each time it will scare me a little less until it is no different than seeing anything else on the trail. I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule but I am hoping that someone will share their own experience in overcoming this somewhat irrational fear.

Thanks!
    become a student. read about em. watch videos about em.we fear what we dont understand.the more you learn about them, the less you have to fear. snakes do not want to attack people. we are too big to eat.

I think you pretty much nailed it when you said each time the fear will get less and less. I lost my fear but not my respect for rattlesnakes growing up in the swamps of Florida. When you see them stop, look if you like and just walk around. Now chicken snakes that's a whole other story!
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

rattlesnakes are prone to mistake chicken ankles for prey. good idea to give them a wide berth

I jumped back 5 feet and screamed like a little girl the first time almost stepping on a 5 to 6 foot timber rattler in the Smokies. It's a little humbling when 20 miles from the nearest road, without phone service and alone. But I figure I have just as much of a chance getting hit by an engine falling off a plane as getting bit.

Images

Haven't managed it yet. I've learned a LOT about snakes. Very few are actually dangerous (except for the ones that make you run into trees). But no matter what, something in my hindbrain keeps whispering that "this would be a great time to scream and run!". They're harmless (mostly.) They're fascinating. But for some reason, I just can't breath when one's around.

Images

do be aware that western rattlers are much more aggressive thatn those in the east.

Just go out and hike - chances are you won't see one. The more frequently you're out, the more confident you'll be as you realize they're not lurking ready to strike you around every bend. Of course if you go years without seeing a rattler (like I did), you might become careless so even if your fear is past you, don't forget. In other words, if you haven't seen a snake in 20 years, you still tell yourself that you might see one on the next hike.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    do be aware that western rattlers are much more aggressive than those in the east.
    I saw a western rattlesnake once in Sequoia NP - he was a safe distance away and slithered a wide circle around us and behind a fallen log.

But I've heard that in desert portion of the PCT, they're very common and that hikers walk right past them. Are you sure they're aggressive?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Just go out and hike - chances are you won't see one. The more frequently you're out, the more confident you'll be as you realize they're not lurking ready to strike you around every bend. Of course if you go years without seeing a rattler (like I did), you might become careless so even if your fear is past you, don't forget. In other words, if you haven't seen a snake in 20 years, you still tell yourself that you might see one on the next hike.

I saw a western rattlesnake once in Sequoia NP - he was a safe distance away and slithered a wide circle around us and behind a fallen log.

But I've heard that in desert portion of the PCT, they're very common and that hikers walk right past them. Are you sure they're aggressive?
    i cant be sure because ive only done a few day hikes in redrocks canyon, the only hiking ive done out west. here in the east rattlers are pretty common in harriman state park ive had a few encounters where i stepped within inches , a few that slithered away when the felt my approach, and a few that rattled and coiled when i had surprised them. none ever struck though.i have heard from others that wetern rattlers are more prone to strike.
    snakes in general dont want to bother with us unless theyre threatened. like i said before we're just too big.

Images

Here's one of 3 Rattlesnakes I encountered on the trail in Shenandoah Nat'l Park this year. This one was really angry.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo/.php?v=406722612696679
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Good thing is that rattlesnakes are gentlemen, they let you know when they're about to bite you. I've walked right passed copperheads and they didn't mess with me. Chances are you have walked right passed them before and not even noticed
    can't never did

Quote Originally Posted by TNjed View Post
    Good thing is that rattlesnakes are gentlemen, they let you know when they're about to bite you. I've walked right passed copperheads and they didn't mess with me. Chances are you have walked right passed them before and not even noticed
    Agree with that. I was hiking down the lakeshore trail in that haze you get in around 15 miles and walking slightly downhill. Looking ahead but not really paying attention. Then comes that rattle. If it had not done that I would have crashed right into him/her. It's maybe the 4th rattler I've seen and I saw the other 3 from a distance before they rattled.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Here's one of 3 Rattlesnakes I encountered on the trail in Shenandoah Nat'l Park this year. This one was really angry.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo/.php?v=406722612696679
    John, was this a big year for rattlesnakes in SNP? You've hiked there for years - have you ever seen 3 in one season? Per Facebook, I noticed that Peanut also encountered one on an SNP weekend hike in Spring - she got a short video of it hissing & rattling. I've hiked in SNP for > 30 years and never saw a one, not even on my trail maintenance - maybe the weekwacker scared them away LOL.

I would say if you hike the entire MST (PA, I assume?) in spring/summer, you will see snakes. Including rattlesnakes. The good news is that the rattlers are extremely docile. I've unknowingly stood about three feet from them a couple of times (once on the MST), without incidence. Just don't pick them up. Relax, and you'll be fine. At most all you have to do will be to bushwhack lightly around them.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Haven't managed it yet. I've learned a LOT about snakes. Very few are actually dangerous (except for the ones that make you run into trees). But no matter what, something in my hindbrain keeps whispering that "this would be a great time to scream and run!". They're harmless (mostly.) They're fascinating. But for some reason, I just can't breath when one's around.
    That's a perfect description of my experience and reaction. My "hindbrain" is even scared of fake snakes.

Along with learning about snakes to remove your fear, there are also some simple rules when hiking that can lesson your chances of "stumbling" onto one. For example, you shouldn't step over a log or rock and land on the backside that is out of your sight. You should step on the rock or log, so it a snake is curled up on the other side of it, you won't startle it, and it won't startle you. Know the areas that they tend to like to hang out in, for example rocky areas. Know the temperature and when they are most active, for example, you may see them sunning themselves on a rock in the morning, yet getting shade in a crevice during mid day heat. I have never heard of a rattle snake actually being an aggressor (moving towards its target) like a black mamba would in the Crocodile Hunter. In all my experiences running into them in Arizona, they seem to either stay still or slither away. I am not a huge snake fan either, but sometimes when you hike, you just have to let go of certain fears and move on. It is kind of like when you fly in an airplane, if it is your time to go, it is your time to go so you may as well just sit back and enjoy the flight. Same thing with your hike.

I can't speak for cottonmouths, or other species you may have down there that we don't here in MD, but I know the timber rattler and copperhead are both generally non-lethal bites, even when untreated. The only time you really hear about deaths is in groups that are already at a greater risk, like the very young or very old... Which is similar to the flu. It's really just not a major health concern. Learn all you can about snakes in general, and the specific poisonous species in your area but other than that you don't need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12:1371282
    I can't speak for cottonmouths, or other species you may have down there that we don't here in MD, but I know the timber rattler and copperhead are both generally non-lethal bites, even when untreated. The only time you really hear about deaths is in groups that are already at a greater risk, like the very young or very old... Which is similar to the flu. It's really just not a major health concern. Learn all you can about snakes in general, and the specific poisonous species in your area but other than that you don't need to worry.
    One thing I remember about rattlesnakes is that they can control the quantity and quality of their venom. Getting bit is rare and almost always a low amount of venom. A Eastern Diamondback could give you a 500ml venom shot which probably would kill you. But that would most likely be a second or third bite if you didn't move. I remember that from wildlife class in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    One thing I remember about rattlesnakes is that they can control the quantity and quality of their venom. Getting bit is rare and almost always a low amount of venom. A Eastern Diamondback could give you a 500ml venom shot which probably would kill you. But that would most likely be a second or third bite if you didn't move. I remember that from wildlife class in high school.
    Ya a bite out of fear is usually a much lower dosage than a predatory bite. Either way though, statistically speaking the chances of death from either a copperhead or timber rattler are incredibly low... Even if you don't receive any treatment. People make such a huge deal out of snakes in my area, but very few know that fact. A healthy adult just really doesn't need to worry. Take precautions of course, but don't worry over it.

If you want to obsess over something then make it ticks. Lime disease can cause serious complications that last a lifetime.

Images

My two biggest fears: Bears and Snakes.

This summer i encountered 6 bears while hiking alone on the AT in Georgia, I have now overcome my fear of bears and have done alot of research on the black bears on the east coast. Very spiritual to overcome such a fear, I have now embraced my fear, hence my trail name my girlfriend gave me.

As far as snakes, my biggest fear is stepping on a copperhead or rattlesnake. 10 years ago I nearly stepped on a copperhead walking on a trail, my dog walked right over it and I was about to step on the little sneaky bugger, he slithered just enough for me to see him before I took 2 more steps or I would have stepped right on him. Since then I have always had a fear of stepping on a poisonous snake in the woods.

Im sure once I reach PA I will overcome this fear as well, I am bound to encounter more snakes on the trail.

So far I have only seen one snake, a tiny little ring snake, had to look it up when I got home...

You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++