WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I tested lighting cotton balls with a striker, and didn't have any problem achieving ignition. Not arguing, just a data point.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Why bother carrying the less effective (but admittedly cool) char cloth if you've got cotton balls and vaseline?
    OK its a toss up - If I have a match a cotton ball is excellent and providing a transition with few twigs . If you don't have a match but a dead lighter a patch will provide a catch and transition to your bird nest. The patches won't add to the UL weight... its good to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    If you want to be "COOL" bring a bow-drill and impress all how fast you can start a fire. You might even get cold by the time the fire gets built.
    Hey SW why do you post about things that you clearly don't care about? I thought I understood brit sarcasm, but you have a wit about you that I just don't understand. One of the best in your world is Ray Mears - wow what a showman, informative, & genuine... I love his series and you tubes. Just because you think you know it - doesn't mean you can avoid the practice. Shame you won't find this thread for a while...

Ray's Way....

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

best fire starter a bic lighter

Hand sanitizer -- which is something that many backpackers carry anyway -- is a great firestarter. That makes it a multi-use item, which in my book is better than carrying a separate firestarter.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I slip a plastic fresnel lens in my backpack and have practiced starting fires with it. It weighs nothing, takes no space and is unbreakable.
    Similar to this:

fresnellens.jpg

Plus, I can read maps or adjust my camera with it!!

I usually always carry chapstick since is has a million and one uses and my first aid kit has a few pieces of guaze and a cotton. In a pinch its nothing to use my chapstick and cotton to make Vaseline cotton balls. Im all about carrying multi use items

Thanks Wise Old Owl. Posts like this are why I keep coming back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++