WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I bet GSMNP doesn't care that you hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I hate the GSMNP so the only time I hike there is on a thru or up to the Mt LeConte Lodge. And its been years since I've done that.

The paper permit requirement is consistent with what Laurie P of the ATC told us a week ago. The ATC has recommended that thru hikers print out their permits just before they leave home to start their hike.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

A realistic response!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    You should see what people have to do when getting a Yellowstone, Glacier (or even RMNP) permit when hiking the CDT. I understand that paying for a service that used to be free can be contentious, but at least it is MUCH easier than what people have to do for other trails.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Thanks for the info on this, Rock and others. I'm assuming this new process will make it into the 2014 guides (not that I'll forget but I can be a little slow on the ball at times).

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Has anyone asked the Park Service why they don't charge the AUTOMOBILES to park at Cades Cove instead of a few hikers on the Appalachain Trail?
    It must be that overcrowding in the backcountry is a MUCH bigger problem than overcrowding on the Cades Cove Loop!!! After all, there are way more traffic jams in the backcountry. Plus, hikers move faster than the traffic in Cades Cove.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Has anyone asked the Park Service why they don't charge the AUTOMOBILES to park at Cades Cove instead of a few hikers on the Appalachain Trail?
    Two things:
    1. No one "parks" in Cades Cove. They all sit "idle" waiting for the bear jam ahead of them to clear to traffic can get moving again.
    2. The park service has put forth ideas on how to relieve congestion on the Cades Cove loop. But every time they do, the "public" voices the opinion that they don't want limited access to Cades Cove.

(Apparently the public voicing their opinions on cars in Cades Cove is MUCH larger than the public voicing their opinions of back country fees... why else were the fees passed over objections, yet NOTHING has yet been done regarding congestion in Cades Cove).

Default Locations where Nobos can obtain Smokies permits along A.T.

Although ATC encourages northbound thru-hikers to purchase their permits before they leave home, some hikers may want to wait until closer to their arrival to the Smokies to purchase one. I've compiled a list of options for northbounders who want to wait to purchase their Great Smoky Mountains National Park A.T. thru-hiker permit and get it somewhere along the way.

It is possible to wait until just before you reach Fontana Dam at the southern end of the park and get your permit at one of the businesses off the Trail, but it could add a measure of stress to your hike worrying that everything will fall into place when you get there. You might become close friends with someone who doesn't want to leave the Trail at this point and then you have to go your separate ways, or there could be some glitch that prevented or delayed you from getting the permit (power outage, computer or printer problem, etc.)

In addition to locations listed below, various business in towns along the Trail may have computer/printer services available. The Nantahala Outdoor Center is currently the only place right on the A.T. where you can print a permit. I obtained all of the information below via phone today by calling the businesses below.

Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap (32 miles north of Springer, on the A.T.) - Currently does not have a dedicated computer and printer. They are seeking donations of these items, and will install them if they become available.

Hiawassee (Towns County) Library (70 miles north of Springer, 11 miles west of A.T.) - Computer and printer available M-F. Hours 9-5, except Thurs. 10-6.
    15cents/page (permit is 2 pages).

Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) (137 miles north of Springer, 29 miles south of Fontana Dam, on the A.T.) - You can access a computer and printer and acquire your permit at the Outfitter Store or Guest Relations Office, both currently open 9-5 seven days a week. Starting March 7, both will be open 8-5. In mid-May, the hours will expand to 8-8. This is the only location actually on the A.T. where you can print out a permit.

Fontana Village Resort (1.4 south of Fontana Dam visitor center, 2 miles west of A.T.) - In the next few days will have a computer and printer for public access in the lodge accessible 24 hours/day.

The Hike Inn (1.4 south of Fontana Dam Visitor Center, 6 miles east of A.T.). - No computer access for hikers, but owners can assist hikers w/ permits using phone, email and their personal printer.

The Fontana Dam Visitor Center (on the A.T., just south of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park entrance) does not usually open until May, and there is currently no public computer/printer access.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Anybody whoever made a reservation for the GSMNP in the old days via telephone is jumping for joy over this new system.
    Actually, those of us who obtained permits before the old days jumped for joy when the telephone permit system was implemented. Back then, you had to obtain your permit in person at a ranger station or visitors center. And, to top that off, a hike during the cooler months required that a ranger inspect your gear before issuing the permit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Anybody whoever made a reservation for the GSMNP in the old days via telephone is jumping for joy over this new system. Now Mt LeConte Lodge needs to enter the 20th century. Down right impossible to get thru on the telephone on the first day that reservations become available for the next year.
    I'd prefer telephone and free rather than online and $24-$48 (family of 3 for 2 to 4 nights).

As for LeConte, just send them an email ahead of Oct 1 with your request. On Oct 1st, they have (at least) one person answering phones and (at least) one person randomly selecting faxed/emailed requests. If you're not picky about dates, I've never wound up with 'nothing' when I've requested an "any date" reservation via email.

Images

You can't make a reservation more than 30 days in advance.

The last day before you leave for GA print out your permit from home. You have 30 days plus 8 days to get thru the park, or 38 days total. Thats more than enough time.

This is the approach recommended by the ATC.
    I'm going to go with that but I will have to do it about 8 days before starting the trail.
    I will put the maximum date that I can as my expected date entering GSMNP and hope nothing goes wrong. Looks like about a fortnight from start so that should give me plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I'm going to go with that but I will have to do it about 8 days before starting the trail.
    I will put the maximum date that I can as my expected date entering GSMNP and hope nothing goes wrong.
    Waiting until you get to NOC should be a very safe option. Lots of support there, and the trail goes right through the middle of their operation.

Images

made the reservation on the Iphone with 3g service. it was not bad if a bit slow to load. when the map comes up it takes a minute to function. then after you select the site and date from the drop down menu it takes some time to get to the save/continue. but it may have been the phone or the 3g. very convenient making reservations around 2 am. it allows follow on dates from your first date even though they are more than 30 days out. same as when you had to call.

Okay, so I understand I have to get and pay for a permit, blah, blah, blah. My question is this: according to the permit website "A Thru-Hiker Permit is valid for up to 38 days from the date you obtain it. Thru-Hikers have 8 days to get through the Smokies. A break to rest or resupply in a nearby town does not negate one's standing as a thru-hiker" so.. if I hike for four days, then spend two nights in Gatlinburg, do I have four or two days remaining to get through the Smokies? I find the wording of this regulation confusing. I need to know if I'm going to have to carry 4 or 8 days of food at a time. Anyone know the answer to this?

Images

The way I read it as 8 days to get from one end to the other. Town days count against this limit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    The way I read it as 8 days to get from one end to the other. Town days count against this limit.
    I think the wording is a bit ambiquous as the question is not addressed directly. However, I could understand someone to interprete the phrase "Thru-Hikers have 8 days to get through the Smokies." to believe that to mean sequential days.

However, I believe the spirit of the rule is that Thru-hikers are not allowed to 'linger' in the park. The $20 fee is equivilent to the cost of 5 nights in the back country. They don't want you to pay on $20 and then spend 38 days hiking the Smokies (after all, there is nothing that says an AT Thru hiker must remain on the AT).

And as a practical matter, you're not required to check in when you enter the Smokies. So if you enter the park, then travel to Gatlinburg for a few days, the Park Service has no way to track that.

Remember, the Park isn't trying to make this permit system burdonsom... other than the fact that we now have to PAY for permits so that the new online reservation system can be paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Amazing! The Park Service could muck up a McDonald's franchise in Times Square.
    I heard that McD's closed down....
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    (after all, there is nothing that says an AT Thru hiker must remain on the AT).
    There is something that says that a thru hiker permit is not valid anywhere except the AT.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ehrenlynne View Post
    I need to know if I'm going to have to carry 4 or 8 days of food at a time. Anyone know the answer to this?

It took me 16 days to get from Springer to Fontana Dam, the beginning of the Smokies.

Then 3 days to get to Newfound Gap where I hitched into Gatlinburg for resupply.
    Then another 3 days to get to Standing Bear just north of the park for another resupply.

Barring bad weather I think the average hiker can do the Smokies in 6 days.

So you get to decide if you want to carry 6 days and go through or 3 days and stop in Gatlinburg.
    If you're hiking in the early or late season consider carrying a day's extra food in case of bad weather.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Thank you very much Sgt Rock for starting this thread and keeping up with the latest info! Greatly appreciated.
    Thank you to Laurie for stating places along the AT to apply for and print out a permit!
    Thanks to all for participating in this discussion, including those with humorous replies.

I'm going to apply for my permit at the NOC.
    Trillium

Images

I think there may be a little over thinking this. Get the permit and do the best you can with the dates. If weather goes south and you have to hole up in Gaitlinburg for a couple days forcing you to take 9 days then I suspect it won't be a major problem. While I'm not a big supporter of this system, think intent not letter of the law. They had to put in guidelines, no way they can cover every possible scenario.

Mountain Crossings now has a laptop and printer.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++