WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post

The previous thru hiker permit had no expiration date, but became invalid if the hiker left the AT. The current permit is valid for only 8 days, but allows the hiker to leave the Trail for whatever portion of the 8 days that he chooses.
    My 2003 Wingfoot states that the thru hiker permit is good for 7 consecutive nights and 8 days.

Images

I just read through the 2011 GSMNP CFR, and it didn't list any expiration date of length of trip maximum for a thru-hiker permit.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I just read through the 2011 GSMNP CFR, and it didn't list any expiration date of length of trip maximum for a thru-hiker permit.
    Thank you.

For sure, the old permit was not subject to the 38-day rule.

Just as a note - at least one TrailJournal mentioned taking 10 days thru the park (of course, several of those were zeros waiting for the snow storm to clear up) - it doesn't appear that that poster was questioned, but it would be logical that something like that would be a legitimate reason for taking more than the 7-8 days usually allotted (since the hiker has no control over weather and the park itself was suggesting people get rides with plow drivers - ie leave the trail).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    My 2003 Wingfoot states that the thru hiker permit is good for 7 consecutive nights and 8 days.
    That's inline with the "General Backcountry Permit" rules: $4/night with a maximum of $20 and 7 nights.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    The National Park Website for "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit" https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=2 says the following:

Thru-Hiker Permit is valid for up to 38 days from the day you obtain it. Thru-Hikers have 8 days to get through the Smokies. A break to rest or resupply in a nearby town does not negate one's standing as a thru-hiker.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Just as a note - at least one TrailJournal mentioned taking 10 days thru the park (of course, several of those were zeros waiting for the snow storm to clear up) - it doesn't appear that that poster was questioned, but it would be logical that something like that would be a legitimate reason for taking more than the 7-8 days usually allotted (since the hiker has no control over weather and the park itself was suggesting people get rides with plow drivers - ie leave the trail).
    There's enough people out there who are fragrantly violating rules (such as taking a dog in the GSMNP back country, camping without a permit, vandalism and destruction of property) that I don't think they are going to be hard @$$#$ with people who are basically trying to follow the rules.

Backpackers that get delayed because of weather or don't want to count "city days" in their 8 day limit just don't compare to these other problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    That's inline with the "General Backcountry Permit" rules: $4/night with a maximum of $20 and 7 nights.

The National Park Website for "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit" https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=2 says the following:
    I was referring to the pre-fee rules.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    There's enough people out there who are fragrantly violating rules (such as taking a dog in the GSMNP back country, camping without a permit, vandalism and destruction of property) that I don't think they are going to be hard @$$#$ with people who are basically trying to follow the rules.
    It's interesting that you cite "camping without a permit" as a flagrant rule violation.

In fact, that is exactly what a thru hiker is doing if he doesn't comply with the rules.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++