Thread: Yellow Dots

Default Yellow Dots

I have been reviewing my Florida Trail map set and see yellow dots every so often. They are not identified on the map legend. These occur along the Florida Trail on just about every map.

Does anyone kow what the yellow dots represent?

Your guess is as good as mine. There's no real consistency. Road crossings, water sources, campsites, trail intersections, parking areas. That's the best I can figure. Seems to be the most consistent with some type of water source be it surface, canal, hand pump (this I know just from being there) or a public source such as a campground.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Up here if you see yellow dots in the snow, you generally should avoid the area.
    Simple is good.

This might sound silly but try contacting who ever put out the map or the FTA, one would think they should know.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I thought I might get an answer this evening if I asked here. Are you suggesting I should spend a whole night with this question weighing on my fragile mind?

My request to the address on the map came back undeliverable.

Does anyone know what the yellow dots represent?

Uhh, perhaps you had the map open when you were cooking with turmeric, curry, or saffron.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I have been reviewing my Florida Trail map set and see yellow dots every so often. They are not identified on the map legend. These occur along the Florida Trail on just about every map.

Does anyone kow what the yellow dots represent?

Hi...

They were put there by a Florida Optometrist.

sent from my tapadance

This side of the dirt
    Images

I only have a loop trail map and it doesn’t have yellow dots.

The data book states

‘Starting with FTA’s 2006 hiking maps, the center-line of the trail on the maps is, nearly as possible, colored to indicate the blazing or signage colors.’

Further in the paragraph it states ‘Bypass routes and other intersecting trails in the Florida Trail System may be blazed blue or white or (rarely) yellow. The Florida Trail is also intersected by a few trails not built and maintained by the Florida Trail Association. These trails may be blazed or marked in a variety of colors and methods and the FTA has no control over them’

This may explain the yellow dots
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

The little yellow dots on the maps usually found on the trail line itself typically appear to be accompanied by one or more larger icons nearby but off to the side. I believe the little yellow dots provide a more accurate position on the trail (or near it) for the entities represented by the larger icon(s) to the side of the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by C2 View Post
    The little yellow dots on the maps usually found on the trail line itself typically appear to be accompanied by one or more larger icons nearby but off to the side. I believe the little yellow dots provide a more accurate position on the trail (or near it) for the entities represented by the larger icon(s) to the side of the dot.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by C2 View Post
    Looking over the map, that makes sense. Thank you.

++ New Posts ++