WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default White House landing

I saw recently that White House landing is for sale....does anybody know if it will be open as usual this year?

White House Landing has been for sale for years. The owners have been openly marketing it for years, especially to every hiker that shows up on their dock. It is a beautiful place for sure but I really wouldn't recommend it to any hikier that is just enjoying their time on the trail. The husband in particular is quite unpleasant and you'll likely find yourself wishing you hadn't stopped. Just my 3 cents.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pingus View Post
    White House Landing has been for sale for years. The owners have been openly marketing it for years, especially to every hiker that shows up on their dock. It is a beautiful place for sure but I really wouldn't recommend it to any hikier that is just enjoying their time on the trail. The husband in particular is quite unpleasant and you'll likely find yourself wishing you hadn't stopped. Just my 3 cents.
    All the more reason for someone more friendly to take it over, eh? Haha
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

I had a very pleasant stay there.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Gotta agree with Marta. Stayed two nights in 2008, and they were plenty friendly.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

i found them to be very pleasant.and the cheeseburgers awesome

Images

White House Landing is a unique stop along the AT and should not be missed. It is expensive due to its remote location. Bill can be a bit moody but his wife Linda is most accomodating.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

I felt similarly, but I'd be damn moody if I lived there and had to deal with whiny hikers all season. Drunken 22 year old buffoons marching in your house acting like they have the world figured out cuz they graduated from college and walked 2,000 miles . Either way it's a nice place, but honestly, weather not being a factor , I would probably skip it if there again. I think a factor hurting their business might be the AMC expansion into the area. I would love to go hunt and fish in that area for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingus View Post

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

My stay there was the highlight of the 100 mw. The food was great and both Bill & Linda were nice. I think that Bill is an introvert and as such comes across to some as unpleasant. Linda is just the opposite and is very outgoing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to return to do a multi-lake kayaking tour.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I had a pretty good stay there.

The only thing I found annoying is every time I'd get near their resupply food someone would come out and watch me like a hawk like I was going to steal a pop tart or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tds1195 View Post
    All the more reason for someone more friendly to take it over, eh? Haha
    That's a good point. But the price is high. They want a million dollars for the business and property. And the property is on a land-lease with a large paper company. Which would make the purchase quite risky.
    And yes, Linda is a lovely person, the food there is fantastic and a short canoe ride from there will generally yeild a moose or eagle sighting.

Images

I met bill and linda and their son ben in 2008 while doing the hundred mile wilderness. great people, we became fast friends. And as a result in the last five years i've spent at least 30 days at their place working on different projects for Bill. From the roof on the lake shore cabin to building a garage. And i got to say they are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet while hiking the trail. And as for bill being grouchy, he's an old navy guy who runs a tight ship and works his ass off to make sure his place is as beautiful as the wilderness that surrounds you. I would bet that most people who have had a problem are younger with a childish view of what the world owes them, or older people with a childish view of what the world owes them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I met bill and linda and their son ben in 2008 while doing the hundred mile wilderness. great people, we became fast friends. And as a result in the last five years i've spent at least 30 days at their place working on different projects for Bill. From the roof on the lake shore cabin to building a garage. And i got to say they are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to meet while hiking the trail. And as for bill being grouchy, he's an old navy guy who runs a tight ship and works his ass off to make sure his place is as beautiful as the wilderness that surrounds you. I would bet that most people who have had a problem are younger with a childish view of what the world owes them, or older people with a childish view of what the world owes them.
    Do you know of it will be buisness as usual this year....I am sort of counting on it as a resupply point...?

Journal Entries

Correct. Additionally I might add anyone who has a $1 million to buy this joint has too much to run it as a hostel. That kind of money is a rich guy looking for a hunting cabin or selling to amc to turn into a money maker. r
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post

Don't blow the horn twice, even if you wait over 30 minutes.
    APPALACHIAN ​STATE

Yes but back to the original question does anyone have an 2013 update?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Yes but back to the original question does anyone have an 2013 update?
    yes...i would like to know as well, since we are contemplating a visit this year...

Images

I am sure AWOL contacted these folks and if there was a question about being open in 2013 it would have been mentioned in the AT Guide.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Whitehouse Landing was contacted by Companion field editors in 2012 for the 2013 edition and any changes have been updated

Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road/White House Landing Wilderness Camp—East 1.2 miles to
    Lodging: White House Landing, (207) 745-5116. Northbound directions: Follow A.T.
    2.8 miles north of Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to to third road north of lean-to, go east
    0.2 mile on Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road to Pemadumcook Lake, follow lake shoreline
    south 1.0 mile to boat dock. Southbound directions: Follow A.T. 1.5 miles south of
    Nahmakanta Stream Campsite, go east 0.2 mile on Maher Trail/Maher Tote Road to
    Pemadumcook Lake, follow lake shoreline south 1.0 mile to boat dock. At boat dock,
    sound airhorn one short blast for ferry ride to camp; no ferry after dark. Owners Bill,
    Linda, and Ben Ware offer bunkhouse $39pp, private rooms $49pp, includes AYCE B
    and shower for guests only. L and grill menu 11–1; D for overnight guests only. Ice
    cream, cold drinks, campstore (long-term resupply), butane/propane canister fuel,
    denatured alcohol, white gas. No mail drops. Visa and MasterCard accepted; fee might
    be charged.
    Like any private resupply facility it's best to call before sending any packages.

Man up and carry your own supply for the 100 mile wilderness. It ain't all wilderness, but it ain't called the 50 mile wilderness either.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++