WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Images

Default can somebody explain to me the advantage of a quilt over a bag?

outside of the obvious zipper-weight savings, is there any advantage of a quilt vs a sleeping bag?

Images

More room to thrash around. Less confined feeling. Less fabric and down needed for same temp rating.

Cons: no hood.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The main advantage for me, being that I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and feel too constricted when I'm in my bag, is the freedom. Not having a zipper means not having to deal with a stuck zipper (or fail, as I've had one do on a bag). On warmer nights, I like being able to drape it over me, as I would and stick my feet out
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

Easier to vent if you're too warm. Not laying on top of part of your insulation, rendering it ineffective.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Easier to vent if you're too warm. Not laying on top of part of your insulation, rendering it ineffective.
    what do you lay on?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    what do you lay on?
    Sleeping pad, same as you do in your bag. With a bag though, the the insulation you're laying on gets compressed, effectively rendering it useless.

Journal Entries

your pad provides the insulation under you, you lay on it.
    much easier to roll and toss and turn without getting "wrapped up" in the bag
    Easier to get in/out of too, mostly. Depends on if using straps and how though.
    Its really more like sleeping on a mattress, with a blanket, than sleeping in a sleeping bag.

Images

the bottom of the bag gives you little in the way of insulation as you lay on it -its added weight from this perspective compared to a top quilt

Like I told you before HB. All the cool kids are using quilts today!

For stomach sleepers a mummy bag is uncomfortable and I always wind up breathing into the hood section. Plus I like to stick my feet outside.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stink Bug View Post
    Sleeping pad, same as you do in your bag. With a bag though, the the insulation you're laying on gets compressed, effectively rendering it useless.
    well in my case its not really true. i have a wm highlite mummy style as im a side sleeper and the bag just moves with me when i turn in my sleep, so im compressing different down at different times. i do understand the compression on the bottom. my winter bag is a BA lost ranger, their bags are designed with a sleeve for your pad and all the down on top, on the same principles as youre describing.im not sure i would be comfortable sleeping directly on my pad.
    i need you to convince me so i can justify throwing away $1200 worth of sleeping bags and blow some more money on quilts!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

i need you to convince me so i can justify throwing away $1200 worth of sleeping bags and blow some more money on quilts!!
    Only you can convince your self of that.

I bought a quilt this past summer. Takes some getting used to, but I like it for 3-season use.

Don't think I'd want to use one for winter, but that's just me. Others love them even for deep winter.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

HikerBoy, glad you started this thread. I was wondering about quilts as well. When I sleep in a bed under a quilt, it doesn't seem to "hug" me and keep me warm like a sleeping bag does. The edges creep around and I get cold air from the outside sneaking in. I can't seem to keep the edges under me while I toss and turn.

Plus, I don't like sleeping on my plastic (closed cell Ridgerest) pad with bare skin.

I'd have to find a fairly cheap one and someplace cold to try it out before I made up my mind.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

well in my case its not really true. i have a wm highlite mummy style as im a side sleeper and the bag just moves with me when i turn in my sleep, so im compressing different down at different times. i do understand the compression on the bottom. my winter bag is a BA lost ranger, their bags are designed with a sleeve for your pad and all the down on top, on the same principles as youre describing.im not sure i would be comfortable sleeping directly on my pad.
    Regardless of you being a side sleeper or the bag moving with you, the insulation directly underneath you is compressed enough to reduce its R value. That being said, quilts aren't for everyone and they do have their cons, most noticeably they can let in cold drafts. For me the pros (weight savings, freedom, venting options) vastly outweigh the cons.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Comfort. Every sleeping position in a quilt feels better to me than in the more confined space of a sleeping bag. I will admit that I never had a really badass down mummy bag before I switched to quilts, so I can't speak to whether my quilt is more comfortable than, say, a Western Mountaineering Summerlite. It's definitely better than the Mountain Hard Wear Phantom and various synthetic bags I'd used before.

Thermoregulating on warm nights is also a lot easier. It requires a lot less thrashing around and zipping/unzipping in the middle of the night.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries

They are great in hot weather too.

Because they are shaped right when opened up (rectangular) , shorter (no hood) , and so darn light (hopefully), they ventillate better than a bag used as a quilt. I have used my 40F quilt comfortably in "blanket mode" when travelling, in a 70F house at night when sleeping on someones floor.

outside of the obvious zipper-weight savings, is there any advantage of a quilt vs a sleeping bag?
    Oh most definitely, but just now I'm at a loss.

But since you posted in the very general thread....My big agnus bag has no batting in the back, so if I turn it, say 30 degrees, is that not a quilt?
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-24-2013 at 22:15. Reason: It's a very good question HB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stink Bug View Post
    Regardless of you being a side sleeper or the bag moving with you, the insulation directly underneath you is compressed enough to reduce its R value. That being said, quilts aren't for everyone and they do have their cons, most noticeably they can let in cold drafts. For me the pros (weight savings, freedom, venting options) vastly outweigh the cons.
    but i still have the same pad insulation as you do. the bag stays wrapped around me as i turn in my sleep.not so sure the same can be said for the quilt. those nights its that hot, i sleep on top of my bag anyway

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Oh most definitely, but just now I'm at a loss.

Like Rasty said..."all the cool kids are using quilts today". ...AND they are less constrictive .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Like Rasty said..."all the cool kids are using quilts today". ...AND they are less constrictive .
    i can buy into the cool kids argument.
    but im still unconvinced.
    but i do so want to be a cool kid

For me a bag is just too confining, I tried different styles and sizes just could not get or stay comfortable. I sleep on my side and belly while sticking my feet in and out from under all night. I haven't zipped my sleeping bag in years, just used it as a quilt, when it is time upgrade/replace I will just get a quilt and not have the hood flopping over in my face, but may invest in a down cap for cold weather times. In the mean time I will quick stitch some velcro on my bag to hold the hood in place.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++