WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hello Daniel and Teresa, I've watched this thread develop with interest. Much good advice above from thousands of miles of hiking experience. Lucky man. I'll add my 3K re: hitchin' along the CT.

I've been hitchhiking since I was 16. I'll be 61 this April. Like HB above, I've had wonderful experiences. And to be truthful, a few weird ones. (There was that state cop on I-80 in 1970 near Chicago. a-hem...)

When I was planning my 2009 CT hike I had several questions about road conditions, traffic, etc. I called some offices in CO where people work who might be familiar with the roads and trail. Like the DNR, Chambers of Commerce, Sports/Bike/Hike shops, etc. I introduced myself and told the person who answered why I called. More often than not, that person said, "Oh, you need to speak with..." and passed me along. I got great info that helped me make decisions.

There was a woman on here in the last year or so who was planning a hike on the CT. She was concerned about hitchin' to and from the trail to resupply. It occurred to me that she might make contact with some persons in those towns in order to secure rides. I suggested she call the sheriff or local police, the Chambers, the librarians, Rotary (Lions, Moose, Elk) Clubs, etc... anyone she could think of where she might make contact with someone who knows someone who might be willing to provide a shuttle for her. Obviously a cell phone, and service, are key. She, like you, had plenty of time to make contacts and make plans.

I'd suggest the same idea to you. You are a veteran. Google the vet's organizations around the state where brother or sister veterans, relatively close to the trail, might be willing, or know someone who is willing to provide a shuttle for you, et al. In your case, taking the dog may prove a bit more difficult to get a ride (unless perhaps in the back of a pickup). Additionally, as noted by them-there above, you're talking about A LOT of road walking... Some state highways where the cars and truck are really moving and sometimes the shoulders are fairly narrow. Your dog's feet may suffer. In my view, the money you'd spend for the shuttles will be well worth it.

The very best ride of my hitchhiking life was along the CT with a feisty old rancher who also happened to be a veteran from Korea.

RE: All the gear questions... Believe me, during those first few days on the trail, you'll quickly figure it out. (I mailed 4 packages home at the start of my AT hike in 2006... Stuff I just absolutely thought I HAD to take along. HA!)

You're a personable guy, Daniel. Make a few calls and get acquainted with some locals along the CT. I'm betting you'll make the connections and be off and back hiking the trail fast, instead of walking the roads to resupply.

Print this... http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

And oh yes... Of course... HYOH! Good luck!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Thank you McPick, that is great advice. I'll certainly follow up on that. I've already made numerous modifications to our packing list and itinerary. This advice has been wonderful.

My biggest struggle yet is working with Teresa to not bring more weight. She's seeing her (now) 7lb bpw as an opportunity to bring things like shampoo, conditioner, lotion and nail polish. Apparently she's forgetting why I'm carrying a lot of her gear and all of her food. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to say, "No, you're not bringing that" without sounding overbearing. Luckily, years of friendship will prevail. I've had her watch YouTube clips and read articles which explain our need to stay light.

3/19/13 - Updated list and itinerary:

Daniel’s Pack
    Gear
    Person’s Gear:
    Location on Pack
    Weight (Ounces)
    Name and Link
    Backpack
    Daniel
    N/A
    Osprey Atmos 65
    Tent
    Both
    Main Comp.
    Sleeping Bag
    Daniel
    Main Comp.
    Sleeping Bag
    Teresa
    Main Comp.
    Water Container
    Daniel
    Main Comp.
    CamelBak UnBottle Insulated Reservoir
    Water Filter
    Daniel
    Main Comp.
    Headlamp 2x
    Both
    Top Comp.
    USB Cable
    Both
    Top Comp.
    Compass
    Both
    Top Comp.
    Cell Phone
    Both
    Top Comp.
    Galaxy Note 2 + Otterbox Defender
    Sunscreen
    Daniel
    Top Comp.
    Special Sunscreen
    Teresa
    Top Comp.
    Kindle Paperwhite
    Teresa
    Top Comp.
    Deodorant
    Daniel
    Top Comp.
    GPS
    Both
    Belt Pocket
    Pocket Guide
    Both
    Belt Pocket
    Solar Panel
    Both
    Top, Outside
    Ventilated Shoes
    Daniel
    Side, Outside
    Sleeping Pads
    Both
    Bottom, Outside
    Thermarest Foam Pad (Halved)
    Pack Totals:
    BPW: 15.56 lbs
    Water: 6.50 lbs (3 liters)
    Food: 32.00 lbs (2lbs/day/person, 2 people, 8 days max)
    Total:

Worn by Daniel
    Gear
    Weight (Ounces)
    Name and Link
    Hat
    Sunglasses
    Headphones
    Long Sleeve Shirt
    Gloves
    Shorts
    Socks
    Ventilated Shoes
    Asics Scout
    Trekking Poles
    Teresa’s Pack
    Gear
    Person’s Gear:
    Location on Pack:
    Weight (Ounces)
    Name and Link
    Backpack w/ 3L Reservoir
    Teresa
    N/A
    Long Sleeve Shirt
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Ventilated Pants
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Top Base layer
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Bottom base layer
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Gaiters
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Dirty Girl Gaiters
    Socks 2x
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Underwear 2x
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Insulated Jacket
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Rain Jacket
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Rain Pants
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Buff
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Towel
    Teresa
    TC’s Clothes Bag
    Socks 2x
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Underwear 2x
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Insulated Jacket
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Long Sleeve Shirt
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Shorts
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Gaiters
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Rain Jacket
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Rain Pants
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Towel
    Daniel
    DF’s Clothes Bag
    Water Filter
    Teresa
    With Reservoir
    Ibuprofen
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Rx Meds
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Toilet Paper
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Wet Ones
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Vitamins
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Zyrtec D
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Vet Wrap
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Neosporin
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Band-Aids
    Both
    Small Pocket
    Tooth Brush/Paste
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Deodorant
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Comb
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    MP3 Player
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Tampons/Pads
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Baby Wipes
    Teresa
    Small Pocket
    Ventilated Shoes
    Teresa
    Side Straps

Totals:
    Gear:
    Water 6.5 lbs
    Total:

Itinerary

Day - Miles - Daily Weight, mid-day (Weight reduces as we eat and drink)
    Day 1 - 13.1m - 49 lbs

Day 2 - 13.1m - 45 lbs
    Day 3 - 13.1m - 41 lbs
    Day 4 - 13.1m - 37 lbs
    Day 5 - 13.1m - 33 lbs
    Day 6 - 13.1m - 29 lbs
    Day 7 - 13.1m - 25 lbs
    Day 8 - 13.1m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Breckenridge, CO (Shuttle to and from TH)
    Day 9 - Rest
    Day 10 - 14.7m - 49 lbs
    Day 11 - 14.7m - 45 lbs
    Day 12 - 14.7m - 41 lbs
    Day 13 - 14.7m - 37 lbs
    Day 14 - 6.5m - Mount Elbert Summit (WEIGHT - Drop the 33 lb pack in a hidden location, use Teresa's pack for food and water)
    Day 15 - 15.0m - 29 lbs
    Day 16 - 15.0m - 25 lbs
    Day 17 - 15.0m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Buena Vista, CO
    Day 18 - Rest
    Day 19 - 15.7m - 33 lbs
    Day 20 - 15.7m - 29 lbs
    Day 21 - 15.7m - 25 lbs
    Day 22 - 15.7m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Salida, CO (Shuttle back to trail)
    Day 23 - Rest
    Day 24 - 16.7m - 41 lbs
    Day 25 - 16.7m - 37 lbs
    Day 26 - 16.7m - 33 lbs
    Day 27 - 16.7m - 29 lbs
    Day 28 - 16.7m - 25 lbs
    Day 29 - 16.7m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Creede, CO (Shuttle back to trail)
    Day 30 - Rest
    Day 31 - 14.7m - 37 lbs
    Day 32 - 14.7m - 33 lbs
    Day 33 - 14.7m - 29 lbs
    Day 34 - 14.7m - 25 lbs
    Day 35 - 14.7m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Silverton, CO (Shuttle back to trail)
    Day 36 - Rest
    Day 37 - 15.5m - 37 lbs
    Day 38 - 15.5m - 33 lbs
    Day 39 - 15.5m - 29 lbs
    Day 40 - 15.5m - 25 lbs
    Day 41 - 15.5m - 21 lbs - Arrive in Durango, CO

Assuming we eat all of our food and still have 1.5L of water each, I’ll be arriving in resupply towns with a 19lb pack!

I think there is a legitimate shot that we may be a day or so behind you as we get on at Goldhill Trailhead on the 4th of July, later in the afternoon.

Daniel, a few points

1. I know your preference is not to have a warm hat for evenings and early mornings but what about Teresa? I didn't see any head gear for her. You may not need these every evening or most evenings, but you're sure to have some cold mornings and evenings where a hat makes a difference in your comfort level.

2. Your rain gear should be easily accessible in the packs - perhaps put your and her's rain jackets and rain pants in one bag near the top.

3. I reiterate my previous recommendation to consider slackpacking Segments 7 and 21.

4. I know that you know that the mileage will vary somewhat as you're actually on the trail. The scarce water in the Dry Heartland between Salida and Creede will necessitate some longer days.

5. A small point - I wouldn't bother with deodorant on a hike; I suspect most hikers don't. You may want to use the space for bug repellant instead because you will have mosquitoes.

Great points again CH.

1) I'll make sure to tell Teresa about a warm hat. I'll add a buff to my list, mainly for sun protection, but also, as a light head warmer. I strongly doubt I'd need more due to being an incredibly warm person. (I slept in my REI Igneo with shorts and a t-shirt down to 6 degrees two nights in a row, without feeling the least bit chilly)

2) Good idea about the rain gear. Additionally, we do plan on taking a break during the afternoon showers if plausible to do so.

3) I'm still debating slackpacking or not. I'll get back to you.

4) Yes, the daily mileage is just a general suggestion, as to how far we must walk, each day, to get to the next town before we run out of food.

5) Thanks! You're validating my opinion. I told Teresa we didn't need deodorant. She insisted for us both.

So question: Should I take cookware? Like stated previously, I never cared for it much, and Teresa seems to like nuts, seeds, berries, chocolate and snickers bars enough to do without as well. However, everyone else seems to insist on taking it. Is it crazy to not take it? Like stated, I know I can do without it, but should I take it anyways?

Next question: Our newest transportation plan is to drive one of our POV's to Colorado, leave it "somewhere" at the start (Denver side) and then use a rental car to get back to it. Research says people with dogs must start at the Indian Creek TH. So, where do we park the car? Is there long term parking at Indian Creek? If we park it away from the TH, what's the easiest way to get from the car to the Indian Creek TH?

My initial idea was to drop Teresa, Seven and our packs off at Indian Creek, driving the car and myself to WCT, leave the car there and meet up with Teresa in the middle, but that's 12 miles of separation. Is there a better way?

FWIW, I try to clean up a little and apply some deodorant before trying to get a hitch. I cut up a solid deodorant stick and slip a small section, maybe a sixth of it, into a baggie and carry it in my toiletries bag. It weighs next to nothing. I just apply it with my fingers. I don't know if it helps me get a ride but I like to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher View Post
    Next question: Our newest transportation plan is to drive one of our POV's to Colorado, leave it "somewhere" at the start (Denver side) and then use a rental car to get back to it. Research says people with dogs must start at the Indian Creek TH. So, where do we park the car? Is there long term parking at Indian Creek? If we park it away from the TH, what's the easiest way to get from the car to the Indian Creek TH?

My initial idea was to drop Teresa, Seven and our packs off at Indian Creek, driving the car and myself to WCT, leave the car there and meet up with Teresa in the middle, but that's 12 miles of separation. Is there a better way?
    My hunch is that it's OK to park at Indian Creek Trailhead. I've been there when we started our thruhike on the Indian Creek Trail because the Waterton Canyon was closed to hikers in 2011. There was ample parking and the area saw plenty of use from horse riders, mountain bikers, and hikers i.e. it's not isolated in the middle of nowhere. But the access road from Sedalia winds and twists which probably deters vandals.

The answer is to call Pike National Forest and get their recommendations. It's possible you'll have to pay a fee; some National Forests are charging for overnight parking but not all.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

No official long term parking at Indian Creek TH that I am aware of. You may want to call the call USFS office. Also, you may want to call local businesses and see if there is a place where you can keep your car and maybe score a shuttle.
    http://www.sedaliacolorado.com/ The storage area mentioned in my doc may be an option, too
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I just spoke to the South Platte Ranger District. (Pike NFS forwarded me there) The person on the phone was very sure that Indian Creek Loop and the CT do not meet. He said he will speak with a Rec Officer to make sure and get back to me. I asked him to ask about parking too.

Not to change the subject but you gave me a twinge when you mentioned the Viet Nam era radio in one of your posts. USMC 65 to 68
    Have a great hike.

Cat in the Hat

I just spoke to the South Platte Ranger District. (Pike NFS forwarded me there) The person on the phone was very sure that Indian Creek Loop and the CT do not meet. He said he will speak with a Rec Officer to make sure and get back to me. I asked him to ask about parking too.
    Not true unless the Indian Creek Trail has been re-routed in the last year. As I stated, I hiked down it on my thruhike. Here's the first day's entry. And here's the obligatory start-of-the-hike photo. The trail is 4 miles and it joins the Colorado Trail at the latter's Mile 7.9 at an area called Lenny's Rest. In fact if you have the CT Guidebook, you'll see that the Foundation recommends the Indian Creek trail in the Segment 1 discussion as an alternative for hikers with dogs.

First of all, there's more than one "Indian Creek Trail" - there's one in the San Carlos Ranger District which may be the loop you referred to. But we're talking the trail described here in the South Platte District which starts at the equestrian campground.

Secondly, it appears that you will have to pay to leave the car so you should consider Mags' suggestion - he's usually right on all things Colorado. But it's worth checking with the Forest Service to make sure.

The Indian Creek Trail most definitely hooks up with the CT:
    http://www.coloradotrail.org/Seg1Map...osureHiRes.pdf

Here's the storage facility info:

If you wish to have long term parking for this alternate, here’s some info posted online:

If you’re starting at Indian Creek TH, parking in Sedalia might be convenient for you. Maybe phone Sedalia RV Storage (303) 688-3842, owner Jim Sikora, and get a price quote etc. There are many other RV storage places where you might also inquire but some won’t take cars.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-20-2013 at 12:36.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Great info mags, thank you. It's looking like $38/month (Not too bad) Just need to find a ride from Sedalia to the TH. That shouldn't be too hard. Thanks

Great info mags, thank you. It's looking like $38/month (Not too bad) Just need to find a ride from Sedalia to the TH. That shouldn't be too hard. Thanks
    For secure storage and a peace of mind? Sounds pretty good actually. Maybe you can get a shuttle from the genteman, too? If not, esp on a weekend, there is a fair around of traffic going that way. Popular recreation area.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-20-2013 at 14:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Not to change the subject but you gave me a twinge when you mentioned the Viet Nam era radio in one of your posts. USMC 65 to 68
    Have a great hike.

Cat in the Hat
    What we used in Basic/AIT and FTX's with the 3rd ACR:

l.jpg

What we used in Iraq:

ELEC_AN-PRC-148_MBITR_Hello_lg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For secure storage and a piece of mind? Sounds pretty good actually. Maybe you can get a shuttle from the genteman, too? If not, esp on a weekend, there is a fair around of traffic going that way. Popular recreation area.
    Teresa and I agree. This is the way to go. Thanks Mags. BTW, is ditching the camp stove/cookware a bad idea? Or reasonable depending on preference? When I hiked on part of the AT, I disliked carrying it, but then again, it was always 40f degrees+.

Or reasonable depending on preference? When I hiked on part of the AT, I disliked carrying it, but then again, it was always 40f degrees+.
    I go cold often here in Colorado (Thanks Garlic! ) in terms of meals. But, as you said, it all boils down to personal preference. Mrs Mags insists on a hot meal, so I bring the stove when I am with her. In other words, ask Teresa!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++