WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First time section hiker- Springer to Fontana Dam

This will be my first AT section hike. I am planning to do Springer to Fontana Dam, beginning early May and allowing 2 weeks for the hike. Is this a reasonable expectation? What's the weather like in May? Any advice appreciated.

With the caveat that we don't know your hiking pace or how many zero days you intend to spend in town....2 weeks is certainly doable (and some do it in less) but I would guess that most people are going to take 16-18 days total (hiking, town time, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Lateo View Post
    This will be my first AT section hike. I am planning to do Springer to Fontana Dam, beginning early May and allowing 2 weeks for the hike. Is this a reasonable expectation? What's the weather like in May? Any advice appreciated.
    If you are a hiker/backpacker no problem. If not, you might consider trying a 3 nighter first.

weather is getting mild (not cold) with highs in low 70s, nights cooler at elevations (40s, maybe lower). it will rain, but not likely snow during mid may. enjoy!

My wife and I are doing this exact same section starting in late May. We have planned on doing it in about 2 weeks, but have at least 3 set aside for unforeseen things. I can't wait. I hope you have fun.

I have done this in May (2 yrs ago) and it is certainly doable in two weeks. I took a couple days off during the trip--one at Neels Gap and one at NOC. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Do yourselves a favor and take a zero at the NOC before your last push. Enjoy a day of rafting, great beer, and good food.

Journal Entries

If you can do 15 mile per day, for 11 days, you can do it. One or two zero/resupply days.

You really want to go from Neels to NOC without re-supply to make it that fast. Getting off in Hiawassee or Franklin to resupply will cost you a couple days potentially.

If you can carry 7-8 days food leaving Neels, you have a much better chance

For a first time, unless you are in great shape with a 25lb pack, Id say its too aggressive though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-03-2013 at 18:38.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, absolutely - great folks at the River's End - NOC is a lot of fun!

++ New Posts ++