WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Time for a new (and lighter) sleep system

I finished the Arizona Trail about a week ago, and I'm planning to embark on the Colorado Trail in July. First, though, my sleep system needs a little work. I carried a Sierra Designs Nitro 30 (long) bag (1 lbs 13 oz) and a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (long) (16 oz), and I know I can do better with both.

For the sleeping bag, I found the temperature rating very optimistic (hit a cold snap in the northern part of the state and there were nights I was wearing silk base layers, my clothing, a down coat, and wool hat but still cold) and it weighs too much. I'm 6'2", so I'm right in the zone where a regular bag is too short and a long bag is too long. I have a few dollars to spend and I'm open to switching to a quilt. For the same price, it looks like a WM Summerlite bag (30 deg) is 1 lbs 5 oz, or a Zpacks (20 deg) quilt is 1 lbs 3 oz (and the Zpacks 30 is right at 1 lbs). What should I consider when choosing between the two? Are there other quilts or bags I should consider? The immediate goal is the Colorado Trail, but I'd like to get something I can use in the future for longer hikes.

For the pad, I'm actually pleased with the NeoAir Xlite. I used a Tarptent and no ground cloth, but didn't have any issues with punctures, and it seemed to insulate well. I ended up sleeping with my feet on my bag, so the size was overkill. The half size would probably work fine, and cut 8 oz. It's 5 inches narrower, though. For mostly-back/sometimes-side-sleepers out there, has the 20-inch width on the small/medium Xlites been a problem?

One review I have seen on the Nitro gives it a 12oz fill of down (800) and 3" single layer loft.The Summerlite has 9-10oz of 850 down and about 2" single layer* loft so the Nitro should be warmer.
    At the same time for the extra weight of the Nitro you might be able to use more clothing with the WM and make up the difference.

If you don't toss and turn you can shift most of the summerlite down to the top, then up to a point it could be warmer.
    *BTW, my Summerlite is about 4" thick all up.

I have the NeoAir Xlite in the largest size also. Use to use an old TR Prolite 3 short. I LOVE that my elbows stay on the wide pad when I sleep on my back. This pad is so comfortable and light, however, I worry about durability. Having my entire body on the pad (elbows and feet) is a big plus for me. Don't know if I'll ever go back to a smaller pad.

Did you find your pad sliding around on the floor of the tarptent? The times I've used my Xlite in my Notch, I've had a GG 1/8 in. thinlite under my pad, so no slipping. I'd like to know how your Xlite performed WRT slipping on the bare tarptent floor.

Garlic
    Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze and congratulations on the AZT. I also hit a winter storm in April on my AZT hike a few years ago, mid-teens on the Rim with a little snow for about a week. But I had my Marmot Helium 15 and was very comfortable. I would not go into that country with less than a 20F bag, including the CT.

I've been very happy with my 15F Marmot bag and my enLightened Equipment summer quilt. If I needed to buy a 20F system right now, I'd go with another EE quilt. I just use a Z-rest pad since it's cheap, durable, and works for me. I also use a Tarptent Contrail with no ground cloth, even in AZ, and it has worked just fine, too. It sounds like you're on track for a good set-up.

PS: If you're a member of the ATA, I hope to see you on a work event sometime. I'll be on the one in Flagstaff in July.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Look at Underground Quilts.

I'm 6'2 and knkw exactly what you mean. Check out Hammock Gear. Adam is using Argon now and his quilts have really lightened up. I have a burro 40 that weights around 16oz and had him add another 3oz of down to it to bring it to a below 30 rating. Total weight is around 19oz.

I also use a thermarest xlite woman's version for the higher rvalue. 66 inch comes in at 12oz. Not the lightest option but it has kept me warm and comfortable. If you wanted to go lighter checkout the GG nitlight pad. Mine came in at 4.6 oz and I bought two of them. Total weight is 9.2oz. Put some pine needles and leaves under you for extra insulation and you can take m it down to about 45 degrees.

++ New Posts ++