Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Sleeping Pads for Women

Oh woe is me. I can not seem to get any sleep on my REI Women's Sleeping Pad. It's the Lite - Core 1.5. Worse yet, it's leaking air so I need to figure that out.

With any pad I've tried, inflatable or not, my hips hurt as I tend to sleep on my side, and I wake up with a sore back as well. Sometimes it's so sore it's hard to roll over during the night. Some thru hikers told me on last section hike that it would go away and I would adjust over time. But I'm not a thru hiker and don't have time to get used to it. I'll be out a lot this summer for one and two nights at a time.

I really need to get some sleep out there. I need some cushion under me that will protect my hips a bit.

What do you other gals use?

I use a closed cell foam pad, a Z Lite. Yes, I get sore, but I prefer it to messing with the inflatables. I really sleep more on my stomach, anyway, but side sleeping isn't all that comfy with either in my experience. You could try hammock hanging. Wasn't for me, but it eliminates the ground sleeping.

Images

Neo-Air, 2.5 inches thick.

hammock was the only solution for me and I am a side sleeper too!

I went with the Exped UL 7--almost 3" thick and much smaller than anything else I saw. I am a side sleeper with big hips but a smaller waist and upper body, so I know exactly what back pains you're talking about, but this is the first pad I've had where I haven't had that issue very often. It took a bit of time to figure out how much air/firmness was most comfortable for me. They also have a long/wide version that's positively luxurious for about 5 extra ounces (21 v. 16). We have one of each. I would recommend getting a pump bag of some sort to avoid getting condensation from your breath in the pad and to make set-up easier. The pad isn't cheap, but I've used it enough now to know it's worth it for me. If you're an REI member, you should be able to get 20% off this weekend.
    Mat: http://www.rei.com/product/811907/ex...t-ul-7-air-pad
    Pump bag: http://www.rei.com/product/829645/ex...nozzel-pumpbag

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBager View Post
    Are these loud when you roll over? I went from an older Thermarest version to a light weight Nemo, and I can't stand how much noise it makes when I move. I have actually had people in shelters comment about the noise too!

No, it's not loud, and that's the primary reason I went for the Exped rather than the Thermarest. I makes a tiny bit of noise (I think all thick inflatables do), but nothing that sounds like a potato chip bag being rattled, which is what those Thermarests sounded like to me. And the noise is more like a little squeak/groan against the tent floor (a product of a change in friction) rather than anything within the mat itself.

When I'm going out for a night or two and there's not too many miles to carry my stuff over (i.e. it's not 20+ miles each day), I carry both closed cell mat and an inflatable pad. Combination of these two makes my bones more or less happy.

Obviously, leaking air = not a pad, ground cloth at best, to be replaced or fixed. That's why I always carry a closed-cell mat, they are indestructable and I never have to sleep on the ground.

Default Sleeping Pads for Women

+1 on the exped ul 7. I never slept comfortably when backpacking until I got one last year. (I'm in my late 40s and always sleep on my side or stomach. I'm also a light sleeper and toss and turn all night). Quite simply, I loved this pad. My husband also got one and we both thought it was the best gear purchase we made in years. We used them on our hike from Katahdin to Caratunk, ME and tent camped every night. There were a few times when the only spot we could find for our tent had more rocks and roots than we would have liked but the couple inches of air in our expeds made for a good night sleep anyway. It's surprisingly quiet and the slightly wider outer tubes keep you from rolling off of it. We did buy the bag pump to fill it (doubled as a dry bag for my sleeping bag and pad) and it made blowing up our pads a piece of cake (once I got the hang of it). Do be careful where u blow it up. I always waited till I was inside the tent to blow ours up and likewise deflated and rolled up while inside the tent. (We usually deflated and aired out on a line with our bags for a few mins each morning before rolling up). I did get a small leak in mine the last night in the 100 mile wilderness (I'm pretty sure I had overinflated it) but the repair kit worked perfectly and I had no problems with it after that. (My husband's never leaked, and I really am virtually certain it was an over inflation issue). I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same pad again if something happens to the one I have. This thing was worth every penny. Light, easy to use and very comfortable for my aging body.

Images

Thanks for the tips on the Exped ladies, that sounds like the ticket for me. I'll be looking into it!

Good sleep is important!

Images

I'll chime in! +100 on the ExPed UL7. I just came back from using mine for 3 months and really love this sleep pad. It is worth the price! I am a side/stomach sleeper and never had much luck with other sleep pads. I was hesitant because of the price, but it was definitely worth it. Its not noisy, you can adjust the amount of air you want in your sleep pad, and it was super warm....kept me insulated from the cold ground.

I didn't get the pump bag, but have not yet had any issues with condensation in my sleep pad.

Love my thermarest women's prolite. Never been more comfortable on a sleeping pad before.

I will add that it's a lot easier to get a good night's rest when you're exhausted!

Images

Hey,

Reopening this thread to just say thank you for recommending the ExPed UL7. I got one with a pump bag and I am very, very optimistic. I bought all new base gear this year and the last of it came toay. I plan on sleeping in the tent (got a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex) in the back field tonight to test it out.

I set up the tent this afternoon and the Exped as well, then laid down for a bit and I actually fell asleep!

The older I get the more important it is for me to be comfortable out there. I'll update again in the morning in case anyone is interested.

I want to know.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I suppose someone should note that all of the above goes for men, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Can you side sleep in a hammock ?

Images

Just wanted to update that the sleeping pad was very comfortable! WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Just wanted to update that the sleeping pad was very comfortable! WIN!
    That is good news. I see that Exped has added a medium wide. They read my mind. The SynMat UL 7 MW is now on my short list along with the large Xtherm. That will be a tough decision. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That is good news. I see that Exped has added a medium wide. They read my mind. The SynMat UL 7 MW is now on my short list along with the large Xtherm. That will be a tough decision. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Wayne

I found that the REI Stratus pad worked as well as the SynMatUL7 LW, similar loft, similar R value, similar dimensions. Only 4 ounces heavier on the L, but the fabric seemed to be more durable on the REI. This probably explains the weight gain. 1/2 the price of the SynMat. Unlike other pads, there is no issue with rolling the REI up and getting it back into the OEM bag. Its been very good for a side sleeper like me. Can't imagine going to a different pad other than a non-insulated air pad for summer-only camping. If anyone knows of a good one of these, for under 50 bucks, I'd appreciate the heads up!

Thank you! Good to know.

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++