WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default after almost thirty years.

after being a pack to a pack and half a day smoker for the better part thirty years.
    I havent smoked for two days now. so far so good. I think I got it beat this time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    after being a pack to a pack and half a day smoker for the better part thirty years.
    I havent smoked for two days now. so far so good. I think I got it beat this time.
    Since the 2000 here.... just keep thinking about ...."where can I fit that Oxygen bottle in my pack?" Good job......one smoke-free day at a time

congrats bro! saturday will be 2 weeks for me. ive been using one of those e-cigarettes, its helped i guess. its the cravings that are hard at times. when i get a craving i instantly grab a huge glass of water or if i'm at home i throw on some running shoes and go for a quick jog. best of luck and hang in there, it gets better.

Images

I chewed 10,000 pieces of bubble gum! It gets easier with time.

Hi...

May the Force be with you. Congratulations.

Journal Entries

Good for you!! It's hard to change bad health habits that we've indulged in for decades, and I've heard nicotine is one of the hardest habits to break. Then as we age, we watch as others (usually older) succumb to the cumulative effects of their bad habits, and we start thinking that maybe we don't want to experience what they're going through. I've never smoked. For me, it's eating too much. I can't stop eating entirely, of course, but I can stop eating certain things entirely. Forever. And ever. It's been a struggle, and I'm experiencing some success, not as fast as I'd like, but enough to notice, enough to generate a big smile, and enough to motivate more success.

Two days. Feeling some hope.
    Two-and-a-half. Can I do this?
    Three. Yes! I can!!
    Four. Wow!!
    Seven! A freaking week!!!!
    Nine. I'll never be ruled by a plant again.
    Nineteen! Cured.

Pretty soon, you'll feel very comfortable in your new identity as an EX-smoker!

Images

i just got to the point were im so damn disgusted with what they have done to me. In high school I got my jv and varsity letters for track and football. And now I get winded after running up a couple flights of stairs. something had to give. and the cigs wern't getting any weaker. I was

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I chewed 10,000 pieces of bubble gum! It gets easier with time.
    gum or mints or jolly ranchers for sure when i get a chance to get to a store.

Images

:banana Congratulations

Congratulations!
    I stopped about 27 months ago, using Chantix.

Section Hiker

Way to go, hang in there! I am lucky to have never started, I know it is a very tough quit.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I have a Physiology Textbook published in the 1860's and there is a section on how bad smoking is for your health. Ironic that this was 100 years before the CEO's of the tobacco companies were telling us there was no such evidence. Congratulations and good luck.

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Congratulations! It's true that all the cool kids are quitting!

One of the best kept secrets about quitting is that once your lungs are cleaned out not only do you get sick less but chest colds will feel amazingly mild compared to what they used to. The cold germs are no match for our newly boosted immune systems and cleaned out lungs! Hiking gets a lot easier too.

Try to fit in some kind of regular excercised routine that includes a bit of cardio. It will make you feel great (once you've gotten through the first few workouts anyway) and will speed up getting your lungs back.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-31-2013 at 19:43.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Congrats! Hang in there!
    Biggie

It's the best decision you'll ever make and you are young enough to recover completely! I'm coming up on 16 years and wish to Gawd that I had never started. The best advice I can give is to try not to dwell on the cravings, busy yourself at the worst times and use some strong mints such as Altoids, good luck my friend!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Go for it - quit in 1986 - wore my jaws out chewing gum, but made it.
    If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Images

Congrats on the good decision!

17 years ago I asked myself: am I waking up at night time for a smoke? No, I do not need to smoke a cigarette every hour, and my body can "survive" without smoking 8 hours per night. That kind of thoughts came to my head, and I decided to try quit, at least. I was lucky. I quit, and did it for free - no gums, no patches, no medications. For free! It was hard to me. I wish you the best.

I'm around ten weeks smoke free. You can do it when you decide you don't want to smoke anymore. After the first week the smell of smoke was nasty. The most difficult time for me is has been while driving for more then an half hour. Keep it up.

Congrats!!!! Every day, one day at a time, make that concious choice not to smoke. I started smoking in my teens. In the Marine Corps, I was a 1~2 pack a day smoker--nonfiltered cigs. In '95, I was able to quit by slowly tapering my intake. For about 6 months, I only had a pack a day....then 6 months of 3/4 pack/day, then 6 moths of 1/2 pack/day. Then for about 9 months, I smoked 1~3 cigarettes a day. One day, I woke up and asked myself why am I still smoking? I was able to quit for 5 years. I still had the urge every now and then, especially when I was having a beer, or smelled someone else smoking. In 2000, I started dating a girl who chain smoked. One day, I was sitting on the couch between her and her friend--both chain smoking. I broke down and had one cigarette. Within 3 days, I was back to a pack a day. Tried a few times to quit, but never lasted more than a few weeks. Finally, this last New Years Eve, I finished my pack and said I was done. Tomorrow will be 6 months with out a smoke. Feb/March was harder for me than January...I would get cravings almost every day. It has gotten a bit easier, but still, several times a day, I think how nice it would be to have a cigarette. Almost every day, I am tempted to buy a pack or bum a smoke from someone I see smoking. I just remind myself that I choose not to, and walk away.

My advice to you is to have a plan for how you will deal with those cravings. Be aware of those habitual times to light up, such as when you get in your car or after a dinner. Chewing gum, sucking on a Halls cough drop, or having something to flip around in your fingers such as a key ring with a monkey fist on it will all help you get through those tough moments. Avoid hanging out with other smokers at work or where ever you are. Take it one day at a time, and hang in there!!!
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++