Thread: Baby powder

Default Baby powder

My wife just had her first backpacking experience and well I love getting nice and funky for 4-5 days, she was a little uncomfortable by the end of the trip with the smell and dirtiness especially down there. She asked if next time if she could bring baby powder along to help. Of course I said NO I"M NOT CARRYING ANY EXTRA WEIGHT!!! But in all seriousness is there any risk (I'm thinking mostly smell related) with using/bringing a small bottle of baby powder? I asked her if she would prefer something else, but that seemed like it would work for multiple things for her so whatever she wants is fine with me - I just want to be sure its safe and see if maybe there are some better options out there from more experienced female backpackers. Is it safe to leave out at night or should it go in the bear bag? Thanks in advance.

I always carry baby powder and I keep it in my hygiene bag with toothpaste etc. I've never had any problems not hanging it. I wouldn't hike without it

Well, I am a guy, and I’m not trying to be a smarty, but have you considered the following:

1) If you are going to put baby power all over your feet and other body parts, what difference does it make if you hang the container from a tree in a bear bag?
    2) There are no known cases on the AT of a bear entering an occupied tent during the night and attacking a backpacker for his/her baby power.
    3) Telling your wife that you love her because she came backpacking, not because she normally smells good.

i personally like gold bond powder instead of baby powder

Journal Entries

One of the best things I did to feel better "down there" was to purchase a P-style http://www.thepstyle.com/pages/What's-a-pStyle%3F.html . The P-style is a female urination device, lightweight, cheap, comes in 6 color choices. Allows a woman to pee standing up like a man (a little bit of mental adjustment may be required - LOL), and properly used, catches the drips and leaves a woman drier.

Second issue is sweat, which is unavoidable. Baby wipes and airing out a bit before changing into dry sleeping clothes are helpful at reducing funk and preventing rash from developing. To avoid skin-to-skin stickiness or at least make it tolerable, I sleep in lightweight long johns and a lightweight long sleeved shirt. We avoid hiking in the worst heat of summer, July-August. Not sure what I would do if it was too hot for my long johns.

I do carry and use some powder, currently gold bond, to alleviate the heat rash that develops between/under my breasts. At home I use regular baby powder, but the gold bond has anti-fungal stuff in it - dual use. I don't like the smell though. Maybe bears don't like it either. I carry a few ounces of powder in a ziploc - weight ain't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    Winner! As a guy, this stuff works all over (the stuff in the orangy container)...feet, "down there", etc.

As a guy who lost 50 pounds on the trail I can say that until I lost the extra blubber on my legs this solved the chafing problem. I wouldn't go on another long distance hike without baby powder.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Maj. Sidney Freedman, M*A*S*H, RIP Alan Arbus.

Listen, boys and girls: Just because you're out camping for a week or twenty, doesn't mean you should give up washing down there. In fact you will be much happier, and healthier, if you learn how to stay clean even when you don't have access to a shower. All you need is water, but if you want to you can use a small amount of soap as well. Gather some water, you do not need to filter or treat it unless it is really bad. Move well away from the water source to wash up, rinse well, and broadcast any dirty water when you are finished. Easy as pie and your nether-parts will be happy.

I usually carry a 'pee jar' that is a bowl with a screw on lid. In the morning, after I empty it, I wash it out with soap and hot water. I then use it as a washbasin for morning clean up and then again at night. I use a drop or two of Dr. Bronners and a bandana. During the day it holds my soap and extra TP and sometimes wetwipes. +1 on yellow Gold Bond powder.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll mention the gold bond and see if that is more appealing for her. For the record I wasn't necessarily worried about bears when I said put it in the bear bag, but all the smaller creatures (raccoons, mice, porcupines, etc...) that are attracted to our smells at times. And since we always backpack with our kids in one tent it was not me that was worried/complaining about anything. This was all for her personal comfort.

The pstyle does look interesting! We have 2 daughters that are now thankfully used to going in the woods, but at first it was an adventure for one of them and that would have been nice. On our last trip I was the only one that used the privys at all! They preferred to be out the in woods.

Images

+1. Love Gold Bond powder, and I keep the small bottle in the hip belt pocket of my pack all the time, even in camp and overnight. (Not interested in my food smelling like GB Powder.)

Also, +1 on washing. It's easy to do with a bandana and a water bottle. Wet wipes are even better, though not necessary. Wet the bandana, wash the head, face, and neck. Rinse, then wash the upper body. Rinse, then wash the crotch. Finally, sit down and wash the feet and lower legs. A dry bandana is useful as a towel, but again, not really necessary. Now put on some clothing that you keep clean for camp/sleeping/town, and you're good to go. This can easily be done every night when arriving in camp.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

When living in rural Cameroon for a few weeks, I was showering with a bucket every 3 days and it was over 100 degrees (F) each day. I used hand sanitizer on my armpits and vaginal area every night and felt WAAAY cleaner! Every time I've gone camping since then, I've used hand sanitizer daily on my armpits and between my legs and it works wonders. Many of you will probably tell me that hand sanitizer weighs too much, but it not only makes you smell better, it is a disinfectant.

You need nothing more than something to pour water from in order to wash up, even if you're female. Pull down your pants, squat, cup one hand lightly over your genitals. Pour water down your arm from a bottle in your other hand. The water will run down your arm and into your washing hand. Slosh and swish it around your genitals, then add a drop or two of soap if you wish. Soap up, then repeat the water pouring/sloshing. You can have squeaky clean lady parts using less than 8oz of water if you use this method
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Check out anti fungal powder. I tried it on my last long car camping trip. It was nonscented, but it seems to have prevented odors for the most part.

Journal Entries

LOL I just love these conversations. Who discusses this anywhere else? No one. Yet, if you don't discuss it then people become timid and afraid to talk about it otherwise. Thank you all.

Baby powder works great for chafing - also great for your feet to prevent blisters, and in your hair to keep it from getting too greasy. A great and cheap dry shampoo.

If you want unscented powder use cornstarch. If you're using powder in your hair and don't want it white, cocoa powder works for brunettes.

Since I don't see anyone mentioning this, personally I love using a deodorant crystal.
    It seems to prevent smells from developing in the first place for me. You know, in the lady places.
    I just carry a small piece of the crystal so it is not too much extra weight.
    I don't care for wipes, too cloying for me.
    In the evenings in my tent I have a dedicated sandwich sized ziplock bag I fill with water and a few drops of Dr. Bronners soap. With a 4 x 4 piece of cloth, I'm refreshed.

You have a wife who is willing to spend time with you in the woods, on the trail? Do everything and anything to make it enjoyable and comfortable for her. Let me let you on a secret: every outdoorsman wants, more than anything, a woman to share it with. Other men get boring, but your wife, never.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can speak from experience, about the above post - Gold Bond hurts when chafed down there, already learned that the hard way. And it won't heal, please do not do this.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Try to have her test at home...maybe after a summer workout, delay shower and apply baby powder, or gold bond. Sometimes I had the chafing issue...used the gold bond to fix chafing issue at hips when I lost weight but couldn't use it on genitalia. I ended up going with the Always wipes. They are individually wrapped (a little more trash) but have proper ph balance and help give that fresher feeling. Very helpful when in places where water limited and bird bath not an option.

++ New Posts ++