WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: DIY Rain Poncho

Default DIY Rain Poncho

I had some excess silnylon left over from a tarp project and decided to make my own rain poncho.

I considered making a poncho in the past, but I worried that the hood and visor would be too complicated to make. I even considered a hoodless poncho in an attempt to simplify the sewing (see here) but I ultimately decided for the full enchilada. I’m happy to report that it was WAY easier than I expected. I borrowed ideas from here and here, but ultimately went with my own design.

I opted for a version with a visor to keep rain off my glasses (a pet peeve of my beloved, but ridiculously heavy, military poncho). I also added an extra foot of material in the back to cover my pack (the first prototype had 24” of excess material, but it was excessive). I debated myself on how to secure the sides. I considered Velcro and zippers, but ultimately sewed cordage ties down each side. My thinking was that Velcro would attract dirt and a zipper would minimize ventilation. Ties can ultimately be tied loose or tight, allowing for variable ventilation options.

I used 0.5” grosgrain for all eight tie-outs (four corners and one centered on each length). The tie-outs will allow me to use the poncho to close-off the end of my tarp or maybe as a temporary rain/wind shield without setting up my full tarp. All tie-outs were reinforced with triangular pieces of silnylon. I sealed the poncho with a mixture of mineral spirits and 100% silicone caulking.

The final dimensions are 62X93” (slightly bigger than my military poncho) and the poncho weighs 8.9oz sealed. Included in this weight are four hanks of G-line and a shockcord waste band secured within the side ties for easy deployment.

I tested the poncho in last week’s rainstorms. It works great.

I’m pretty happy with my zero cost, 8.9oz piece of new gear. And it was a blast to make.

Thanks for reading.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nicely done. Any chance of more detailed information on the hood pattern and how it is attached?

Thanks. I used the following sites for guidance:

http://frankrevelo.com/hiking/sewing_poncho.htm
    http://royrobinson.homestead.com/ponchoplans.html

I modified the guidance to suit my needs, but the hood/poncho attachment method pretty much mirrored Step #8 in the second link. This same site helped with the hood pattern, but I ultimately copied the shape of my military poncho. If I had to do it all over again, I would make the hood about 10% smaller.

Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
    Does this help?
    Yes...very helpful. Thanks!

Images

Great poncho ... I'm a sewist ... this is next on my list!
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Images

Great looking poncho! I'd like to make one of these myself, thanks for the links..

That thing is sweet...Gonna try and make one soon out of some DIY Silnylon Marpat camo I got..

You certainly inspired me. I love that do-it-yourself "free "stuff

++ New Posts ++