WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Passing of Mr Bill

Many of you have ridden with Mr Bill Evans who was a well known shuttler from Franklin in the white Jeep Cherokee. He shuttled from the Hiawassee to Fontana area for several years and we used him a lot to help hikers at our Budget Inns. Mr Bill past away today around lunch time with a sudden heart attact. Bill was a retired law enforcement officer and a great honest man. He was also a friend to hikers and will sure be missed by many. Mr Bill was about 80 years old.

Prayers sent Mr. Bill's way and sympathy for family and friends. I never met the man and with you thinking enough of him to say this - I missed a good one. Sorry about that too.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I think that I did meet Bill. Ron, did he use a cane and have a pic of his granddaughter on his keyring?

Bill and his family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Trillium

Journal Entries
    Images

praying for the family and friends.HS

Images

Sorry to hear that Ron. Bushwacker and I got a ride from him back in February and we both really enjoyed his stories. Prayers for all his family and friends.

Images

Default A true freind has been lost

Ron, if you could find out where and when the services are please post them.
    Or PM me.

For those of you who did not get the chance to met Bill he was what my grandfather would call “the salt of the earth”. Bill had shuttled me up and down the trail many times. I had spent a day with him last spring, just riding along on some shuttle runs. He really did love being around hikers. The story’s he told of the times when he was in law enforcement, the adventures and mis-adventures of hikers he met. His love of the areas History, his work to preserve the Indian history of the area. Stories of the Moonshiners and the revenue agents and some of the deals made between them, and above all else was his family.

The trail community has lost a true friend to all hikers. Bill will be greatly missed by those who were lucky enough to spend even a little time with him.

Please do keep his family in your Prayers.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Wow. A tremendous loss to the hiking community. He will be missed.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Yes, this was him.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    and above all else was his family.

The trail community has lost a true friend to all hikers. Bill will be greatly missed by those who were lucky enough to spend even a little time with him.
    Well, I'm sitting here pretty verklempt right now because I was one of the lucky ones who spent a little time with him. His vehicle needed gas on the way into Franklin so he asked the young man that was also being shuttled in to pump it for him. While he was doing so, Bill and I had a chance to chat. He told me all about his granddaughter and he was soooo proud of her. He shared a bit about Franklin and gave some advice on services in the area. He shared that Mi Casa across from the Sapphire was his favorite restaurant and when my husband arrived, we went and had a fine dinner. Bill was a true gentleman. Please share my sincere condolences with his family.

And Ron, we delivered TankTank safely to the Fontana Hilton.
    Trillium

Images

thanks, hope he does well...

William Hill Evans
    Franklin, NC - William Hill Evans, 67, of Franklin, NC passed away Monday, June 10, 2013. Born in Calhoun, GA he was the son of Leon Franklin Evans and Nell Roberta Davis Evans. He was retired from a career in the preservation of Native American culture. He was of the Baptist faith and attended Rose Creek Baptist Church.

Mr. Evans is survived by his wife of 37 years, Pamela Stickel Evans; two daughters, Angela Dawn Evans of Franklin and Lindsay Evans Smith and her husband Josiah of Pocatello, ID; two sons, Jeff Evans and Billy Evans both of Atlanta, GA and four grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother Daves Southerland and a grandchild, Gabriel Ian Smith.

Memorial services will be held at a later date at Mount Harmony Baptist Church with Rev. Darren Cochran officiating.

The family requests memorial donations be made on their behalf to Bryant Grant Funeral Home, 105 West Main Street, Franklin, NC 28734.

Bryant Grant Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
    Online condolences are available by visiting bryantgrantfuneralhome.com or by email.

http://www.bryantgrantfuneralhome.com/Obits.htm
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Thank you all for your kind words about my dad. He loved shuttling you all to and from your destinations and he always shared his stories with us about the hikers he encountered. We will all miss him very much, and is loved beyond measure. He is now with the grandson he missed and he can now share those stories with him. Thank you again I am glad we all got to know and share these experiences with my dad. Take care and thank you again. Safe travels to all on your journeys.

Default services for my dad

Quote Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
    Ron, if you could find out where and when the services are please post them.
    Or PM me.

For those of you who did not get the chance to met Bill he was what my grandfather would call “the salt of the earth”. Bill had shuttled me up and down the trail many times. I had spent a day with him last spring, just riding along on some shuttle runs. He really did love being around hikers. The story’s he told of the times when he was in law enforcement, the adventures and mis-adventures of hikers he met. His love of the areas History, his work to preserve the Indian history of the area. Stories of the Moonshiners and the revenue agents and some of the deals made between them, and above all else was his family.

Please do keep his family in your Prayers.
    My mother has it set for his 68th Bday which will be July 23rd at 3pm at mount harmony Baptist church in Franklin any questions feel free to contact me. Thank you

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    Many of you have ridden with Mr Bill Evans who was a well known shuttler from Franklin in the white Jeep Cherokee. He shuttled from the Hiawassee to Fontana area for several years and we used him a lot to help hikers at our Budget Inns. Mr Bill past away today around lunch time with a sudden heart attact. Bill was a retired law enforcement officer and a great honest man. He was also a friend to hikers and will sure be missed by many. Mr Bill was about 80 years old.
    met him on the way back to the trail very interesting feller,sorry to hear the news God bless him.ky

++ New Posts ++