WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That looks much less convoluted than my method. I'm glad somewhere here knows chemistry.

Zelph,

If your venom can use white gas is there some other reason you stick to alcohol? Do you have any other suggestions to make a modified venom ss work with a Sidewinder?

Attached are renderings of a pot lid to fit zelph's SS pot. Its all carbon fiber with the piece shown in gray to clarify that its a separate piece. Projected weight is 0.2oz.

SS Pot Lid Assembly.jpgSS Pot Lid Assembly Render 2.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by iamscottym View Post
    Zelph,

If your venom can use white gas is there some other reason you stick to alcohol? Do you have any other suggestions to make a modified venom ss work with a Sidewinder?
    I'll try one with my Ti Cone. The pot will rest on the Venom stove pot support. The cone may not be giving any support and that is ok. It provides windscreen protection. My cone is made to hold the pot 2" off the ground. The modified Venom stove is 2.250+ in height.

On the drawing of the 2 part lid I can visualize placing a ring of carbon fiber onto the male mold first and then laying a sheet of fiber over the entire dome to include the ring. The ring sits in a grove of the appropriate depth and has ample mold release. Let's say the ring is 1" and the part that is in the grove is 1/4" ............3/4" of the ring will the be covered with the overlay of fabric that forms the dome. How does that sound?

If your venom can use white gas is there some other reason you stick to alcohol?
    I stay with alcohol because of the volital nature of white gas. I feel more safe with alcohol.

I sent you an email. I think I figured out a way to do the lid in a single piece.

You have a good point about white gas. Its probably worth the extra few ounces to carry alcohol and not burn my face off. Perhaps I'll just switch to ethyl alcohol for a bit of an improvement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by iamscottym View Post
    Zelph,

I tried a modified venom super stove using white gas today. The first 2 min. went just fine and then it started to go radical I had to quickly snuff it out. Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Images

Default The Starlyte & The 12-10

Chad Poindexter did a comparison video of the 12-10 burner and the Modified StarLyte. Interesting results.

The Caldera Cone has really made a difference in how water is boiled.

Stiksblog:

http://sticksblog.com/2013/08/02/the...yte-the-12-10/

Last edited by zelph; 08-02-2013 at 22:53.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Chad Poindexter did a comparison video of the 12-10 burner and the Modified StarLyte. Interesting results.

The Caldera Cone has really made a difference in how water is boiled.

Stiksblog:

Chad has updated his comparisons by removing the choke ring from the Modified StarLyte burner. See what his findings are:

In summary chad says:

So, by removing the choke ring, I now get the same results as I would with the 12-10 stove, at least with the 1.3L cook pot & Sidewinder cone. This really narrows the comparisons between the 12-10 stove and the Starlyte stove down, for me at least. Considering they get the same results now, I will likely go with the Starlyte over the 12-10 simply because I like its ability to transport left over fuel in the stove, and that it can’t spill out if accidentally knocked over. As well, in smaller cook pots, the Starlyte stove will fit easier. The benefits that I can see with the 12-10 over the Starlyte is that it has a larger fuel capacity, and may be easier to light in colder, or windy situations. (However, I have not personally experienced any issues when lighting the Starlyte stove. It has always lit very easy for me.)

Anyway, thanks again to my readers. I appreciate the feedback such as this. Keep it up!

Thanks for stopping by.

~Stick~
    Last edited by zelph; 08-03-2013 at 13:58.

I have no experience with the Starlyte, but one of the things I like about the 12-10 in a CC is that I can bring 4 cups of water to a boil with just over an ounce of alcohol, either in a Stanco aluminum "grease pot" or in a 1.3 L titanium Evernew. Can the regular Starlyte do this? I assume that the modified Starlyte may not put out enough heat. The other small alcohol stove that I have been able to boil 4 cups of water with was the classic "Penny Stove".
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I have no experience with the Starlyte, but one of the things I like about the 12-10 in a CC is that I can bring 4 cups of water to a boil with just over an ounce of alcohol, either in a Stanco aluminum "grease pot" or in a 1.3 L titanium Evernew. Can the regular Starlyte do this? I assume that the modified Starlyte may not put out enough heat. The other small alcohol stove that I have been able to boil 4 cups of water with was the classic "Penny Stove".
    Yes, the Regular StarLyte burner will get 4 cups to boil using the Cone and the Stanco Grease pot. The StarLyte will hold 1.250 ounces of fuel and burns hot with that amount of fuel

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I use a large tealight cup with a 1.3 evernew on short trips for 2 people. Doesnt take long for a cannister to become more efficient though. Simple Al flashing windscreen. Boils 4 cups on 0.91 wt oz = 1.1 fl oz.

Nothing simpler, cheaper, or lighter.

There aint anything magic about the stove. Its all in the windscreen and air supply.

There is one little twist to getting the alcohol to vaporize a little faster to do it, a bent piece of al flashing in the tealight. Wicks more heat into the alcohol, speeds vaporization and heat output.

I wouldnt say it was totally optimized either, it ought to be able to routinely do it on 1oz even.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-14-2013 at 22:26.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I use a large tealight cup with a 1.3 evernew on short trips for 2 people. Doesnt take long for a cannister to become more efficient though. Simple Al flashing windscreen. Boils 4 cups on 0.91 wt oz = 1.1 fl oz.

Nothing simpler, cheaper, or lighter.

There aint anything magic about the stove. Its all in the windscreen and air supply.

What are you using a Caldera Cone as pot support?

You're right about nothing simpler, cheaper, or lighter than a tealite cup.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    What are you using a Caldera Cone as pot support?

You're right about nothing simpler, cheaper, or lighter than a tealite cup.

Wire mesh pot support , same one I use for my flat bottom fosters pot.

support - 0.24 oz
    windscreen - 0.85 oz (fits in pot, about same ht as pot wall), ~ 1/4" gap around with tabs to keep it centered on pot
    tealight and bent piece of metal - 0.14 oz.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1311970
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-17-2013 at 17:33.

Images

Trail Designs takes their testing to the next serious level

The ultimate gram weenie. I love it.

Images

I did a few tests with denatured alcohol to see the difference in boil times and total burn time between the Regular StarLyte burner and the Modified one. (modified one is being made available by Trail Designs as an option to their 12-10 stove)

The results of the tests show the efficiency of the burners within a Ti Cone using 1/2 ounce of fuel. 2 cups of water boiled with fuel remaining.

Here are the results using 1/2 ounce Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol per test. Fuel measured out with 1 ounce graduated medicine cup.

2 cups of water in the Fire Pot. Starting temperature of water 70 degrees. Calm conditions in my garage.

All surfaces were allowed to cool before starting next test.

Modified StarLyteBurner

1 – Boil 9:30-------------Flame out 12:00 min.

2 – Boil 9:30-------------Flame out 11:42 min.

3 – Boil 9:30--------------Flame out 10:40 min.

StarLyte burner regular

1 Boil 7:47--------------Flame out 9:30 min.

2 Boil 7:30-------------Flame out 9:38 min.

3.-Boil 7:17--------------Flame out 9:19 min.

The video shows how I determined when the flame went out. It's a photobucket video so click on the photo to view video: :roll:

Images

Simmering abilities are on their way for use with the Caldera Cones.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...Alcohol&cid=18

Quote:

Daniel Collins
    ( Diablo-V )
    Starlyte Simmer stove on 10/11/2013 07:30:28 MDT Report Post Print
    Rating: 5 / 5

I just got my newly debuted Starlyte simmer stove from Zelph. He was monitoring a forum thread here at BPL where we were discussing a need for something that would simmer in a Caldera Cone Tri-Ti. He decided to release this on the market as the thread was ongoing.

I have not had time to post a full technical review yet but this tiny featherweight stove will earn its weight in saved fuel by allowing me to reliably simmer with a Caldera Cone. The stove comes with the cap to save unused fuel, is convenient and safe with the carbon wool holding the unburned alcohol. This is a practical answer to spirit stove cooking as no stove does EVERYTHING well. This one gets slipped in when the food has reached boil- to replace the boil stove. It should simmer as long as anyone would need. I will post numbers when I get them. Bravo and thanks for this stove.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++