WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Posting Photos: Sizing, Editing, Etc.

I searched "photo size" and found little on the topic and don't see much, generally, about how a poster can control the size, etc., of her or his photos embedded in a post. It would be super-helpful to learn how this works at WB.

For a photo you've posted somewhere else - Picasa, Panoramio, Smug Mug, Flickr - I've found that if you post [img], followed by URL with no space in between, followed by [/img], you get a large formatted display of the pic. So far, so good.

How do you adjust the size of photos you upload from your own PC? How do you get them to display in the post? It would be helpful to have that info out there for WB'ers to see. This can also serve as a help thread for photo editing and effects issues when it comes to posting within thread posts and gallery uploads. A little photographer's in-service and tips and tricks sharing thread, if you please.

Thanks in advance for helpful advice.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Testing, 1, 2, 3 ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    Thank you for replying, ATTroll. I appreciate your help. By "Post Reply", do you mean "+Reply to Thread"? I couldn't find the one, found the other and clicked on it. It takes me to the reply window at the bottom of the page. Does clicking on "Go Advanced" make a difference? It seems to.

My second post, above, came from "Go Advanced". I clicked on the attachments icon and uploaded that picture file. It displayed small, which is not what I want. To clarify my initial post, what I want is for pictures to display large, not small as did the above picture of Franconia Ridge from Franconia village. Is there some tag coding relating to display size?

Happily, by doing [img] followed by URL followed by [/img], I can upload a photo from a remote site (Facebook, Panoramio, Picasa, etc.) into a large display format. It would be nice to be able to cut out the middle man and upload directly from my computer to such as large display as this one of the Bear Mountain, CT to Mt. Everett from Lake Washining:

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

How do I make the image upright? I've edited it and it's fine, but when I leave the pic and see it in the gallery it's sideways and distorted. How do I fix it?

It's the "Thank You Rolls Kanardly" pic of Snacktime in Faces of White Blaze Members
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

To rotate a photo once you have uploaded it you would go to the photo. Then in the upper right corner of the photo, you will see the text IMAGE TOOLS. If you click on that a drop down box should appear. Now click on EDIT IMAGE and you should see a box on the right hand side called "Image Manipulation" and that should give you the option to rotate the image.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++