WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 82 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2679
    Journal Entries

Interesting article Sawnie thanks for the link. I second your thoughts about these PLBs and similar devices as a must have especially for solo hiking. In a sad way this saga may encourage others to carry one of these when they otherwise might not have. I believe I read somewhere that she did not have a PLB but does anyone know for sure? I've got a lot of info that I'd have to sift through to find the answer.....I second Don H. about Orbeton Stream. It wasn't a hazard for the day she went missing, and is only significant as a way to carry clues or a body downstream as it rose during the significant rainfall and/or an 'easier' path for a lost or mentally incapacitated hiker. I'll check out 4 miles of it. About the only area I'm really an expert in.

Inchworm was carrying a Spot device when we met her in New Hampshire on July 4th last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    This incident in RMNP illustrates the use of devices that should have helped Inchworm if she were in trouble unless she was so incapacitated that she could not operate them. Anyway, kudos to SAR teams throughout the world.

http://www.estesparknews.com/rescue-...s+Park+News%29

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost View Post
    Inchworm was carrying a Spot device when we met her in New Hampshire on July 4th last year.
    Well that's interesting. No one has ever said that she had a SPOT with her.
    Seems that's a pretty important piece of information that would have been mentioned.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Hi Chainsaw,

This is old man Sherpa, we keep running into each other in 2011.

It was mentioned in one of the early news articles which came out shortly after she disappeared. I believe the article stated that she choose not to carry her SPOT for that section of trail in Maine. Those devices don't always work well or at all in heavy tree cover. When my partner and I last saw her, heading north into Crawford Notch to met her husband, she also had a whistle attached to her pack shoulder strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Well that's interesting. No one has ever said that she had a SPOT with her.
    Seems that's a pretty important piece of information that would have been mentioned.

ok. I consider this a pretty weird decision. The idea of a spot is to be found in places like this. I could understand that spot might not work well under a tree cover because it uses satellites to acquire location but even if the spot worked some of the time this would be the place to carry it.

If this was an investigation into insurance fraud then I would think that would be a red flag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost View Post
    Hi Chainsaw,

This is old man Sherpa, we keep running into each other in 2011.

It was mentioned in one of the early news articles which came out shortly after she disappeared. I believe the article stated that she choose not to carry her SPOT for that section of trail in Maine. Those devices don't always work well or at all in heavy tree cover. When my partner and I last saw her, heading north into Crawford Notch to met her husband, she also had a whistle attached to her pack shoulder strap.
    Let me go

Gray_Ghost, I also spent some time with her on July 4th out on the Ethan Pond trail. She said George was at 302 waiting for her, and she wondered how far ahead Blue Moon was. We spent the night at Ethan Pond and Blue Moon was there that night, so she wouldn't have caught up with him before 302. Along with the whistle she had a pencil shaped item on her shoulder harness. I asked her what it was and she said pepper spray. I had never seen one that small. I think she said she got hers in a bike shop. Doubt it would have done much good if she needed it--too small. And I didn't see it on the shoulder harness in the pic of her at Poplar Ridge.

Muddy Boots, We must have crossed paths that day. We were hiking southbound. Dances with Slugs and I talked to Inchworm just north of the Ethan Pond Campsite, where the trail starts to drop down to 302. It was still early in the morning, because we had stealth camped near the highway.

Anyway, I had forgotten about the the pepper spray. She did ask if we had seen her husband at the parking lot. I know that she wanted probably to get rid of any extra weight for the hike in Maine.

Gray_Ghost, jobi wan kenobi and I were also southbound and met her somewhere between Ethan Pond and Shoal Pond trail, so you saw her after we did. We veered off at Thoreau Falls trail for the falls, so you probably passed while we were there.

Default One year ago

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of inchworm's disappearance. Thoughts and prayers remain with the family during this unimaginably difficult time.

The reason for posting is that the Bangor Daily News released an article today with whatever limited updated information there is.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/07/2...r-later/email/

Mystery of missing Appalachian Trail hiker still vexes wardens, locals one year later
    Posted By UnBylined On July 21, 2014 (11:36 am)

CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine — A mysterious disappearance in the Maine woods still has wardens searching for answers. Tennessee hiker Geraldine Largay disappeared while hiking the Maine portion of the Appalachian Trail a year ago. Maine Game Wardens believe they know what might have happened to her, but locals also have their own theories.

There are few parts of the Maine woods that hold more beauty than the kind seen along Route 27 through the Carrabasset Valley, and no part holds more mystery than a small section along this part of the Appalachian Trail.

“Once we find the end of this mystery, it will all be, ‘Oh yeah, now it makes sense,’” Game Warden Lt. Kevin Adam said.
    Adam has been trying to make sense of what happened here last summer, yet the woods have provided no clues.

“Are there people we have looked for that we have never found? Yes. There are still people like that. It’s very frustrating, but it’s very rare. Probably less than 1 percent of all searches, probably less than a tenth of a percent of all searches,” Adam said.
    Missing Tennessee hiker Geraldine Largay, 66, is part of that small percentage. After hiking nearly 1,000 miles of the Appalachian Trail from Virginia to Maine, Largay disappeared just 200 miles from Mt. Katahdin.

Wardens have conducted 15 searches for Largay and are still looking, but the terrain has made those efforts difficult. Maine’s 281 miles are known to be the trail’s most rugged. “The footing’s sort of treacherous, and you have to pay attention to where you step,” said Adam.

Largay was an experienced hiker and was prepared for her journey through Maine’s western mountains. Wardens believe the trail wasn’t her problem but the woods off the trail.

“I think she got off the trail somehow for some reason — I don’t know why — and there’s some very unique terrain up there. Boulder fields [where] you can stand at the top of the boulder and not see the bottom. Very narrow openings that people can fit through. That’s a theory,” Adam explained.

Theories have developed among local shop owners and motel owners as well — everything from alien abductions to murder.

“She probably hit a crevice or a hole of some sort, ” Ann McKee of the White Wolf Inn and Restaurant said.

“I think one of the main theories is that somebody took her, because where is she? Where [are] her supplies and equipment? There’s no sign of anything,” Mark Humphries, who owns the Northland General store, said.

“All those theories have been looked at, and nothing has popped up,” Adam advised.

Wardens are focusing on three or four miles around Poplar ridge, the area Largay was last seen. The mystery remains in the woods until she is found, an ending that seems as far away as the length of the trail.
    Godspeed, Mrs. Largay.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Hello, I have been following this thread from the very beginning of it being created. I am not an avid hiker but I am a lifelong resident of Maine. I grew up in Franklin County, the county in which Inchworm vanished. I take great interest in this story because my partner is an avid hiker who often hikes the many mountains and trails in Maine alone. I always questioned the safety of such practice, not because of any other reason than the fact that there are many odd individuals out in the deep woods of Maine or not far from the trails. I have never been so naive to believe that “it can’t happen here in Maine” because the reality is “it” can and “it” does happen here in Maine, anything and everything possible has happened in this state. So in following all the local and national news and threads available about Inchworm I cannot help but wonder if she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and met up with a sociopath.

Several weeks prior to Inchworm’s disappearance there was a disturbing Sheriff’s report in the Daily Bulldog, an online news source for Franklin county. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me because when I initially read it I was concerned for my partner who was heading to Baxter State Park for a hiking trip. Here is a cut/paste of the original report:

07/06/2013 Deputy Zecher responded to the Appalachian Trail in Wyman Township regarding a complaint from a female hiker. The complainant stated that there was a strange man who goes by the name of Richard (nickname brown blazer) had been acting strange. He has been leaving threatening messages on the AT trail recording logs. No one person has been targeted, however, she wanted to report it to law enforcement. A check of the trail heads did not reveal any vehicles that came close to the alleged offender’s first name. Notification has been made throughout the hiking community.

I was amazed how for weeks this information was never mentioned to the public but I figured the police and wardens were aware of the information because the incident occurred only weeks prior to Inchworms disappearance. Is this simply a coincidence? The posting eventually was mentioned in the news however it was marginalized. If you were to go to the Daily Bulldog website and in the search section of the site type in Franklin County Sheriff’s Department weekly report it will provide you all the reports entered since the Bulldog was established. If you were to spend some time reading the many weeks of reports and if you have any knowledge of the Franklin county area you will read many reported issues in the area of the AT trail heads. I am incredibly bothered by the fact that ageism appears to be interfering with a thorough investigation into some potential clues such as the above factual report. I remember hearing something on the lines that she would not be a likely target of violence due to her age. In the Maine woods age is irrelevant, age is also irrelevant to sociopaths and Maine does in fact have a fair share of such individuals.

There are old trails, old logging roads and trail heads in which someone with sinister motives is capable of harming someone. I really hope that the LE and Maine’s dedicated wardens are not naive enough to believe “it couldn’t happen here because she doesn’t fit the typical desirable victim that a sociopath seeks out”. The fact is that tomorrow is one year and still no answers, her disappearance could very much be connected to the above Sheriff's report so why is there not more investigation into it?

Thank you for reading my post, I will continue to pray and hope for a resolution to this mystery so that Inchworm’s family, friends, the hiking community and Franklin County Maine can have some sort of closure. I wish you all well and thank you for maintaining this thread. I hope what I have written has not offended anyone as that is not my intent; I just wanted to share and/or remind others of a report that was marginalized and could actually hold a clue into her disappearance.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <wontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

It was mentioned here as I recall, quite extensively.

Hi HikeMaine - welcome to White Blaze!

I too recall a discussion on this thread way back at the beginning. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I know there was talk of Brown Blazer, the wardens were well aware of him, and checking his whereabouts, it was determined that he wasn't in the area at the time of Gerry's disappearance. I'm not sure where they found him, but I think it was quite a ways south - maybe Vermont?

Please feel free to bring any info you have to the table here - I know this thread is impossibly long now to have to go back message by message, we're happy to bring you up to speed anytime, so just jump on in here!

sherry
    aka Turtle Feet
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Journal Entries

Hi Mike thanks for the input. Turtle Feet is spot on as usual so I second what she said. I'll elaborate slightly that there is no evidence that ANYONE crossed paths with Inchworm at any point after her departure from Poplar Ridge Shelter. She was hiking in a 'bubble' of almost no north or south bound hikers and no logging activity or other reasonable sort of recreation in the time and area she disappeared.

Journal Entries

So my small team is heading in August 11th and 12th to search in specific areas of Inchworms PLS (Point Last Seen). We most certainly are looking for volunteers to assist in this search. If you are interested feel free to PM me. My team is well equipped and we've been preparing for months. Lt. Kevin Adams gave us the green light to search months ago. Our goal is clear but we're not a hardcore group and this all essentially boils down to a hike in the woods with a good food and relaxation in the evenings. A decent vehicle with better ground clearance than our Subaru and anyone that can play an instrument around the campfire is a plus. I'm not expecting much in the way of volunteers but thoughts and prayers for the Largay family and our safe passage in the search would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone for all of your insight. Namaste

Journal Entries

So we didn't find her but we tried like heck and we think we're better off for the effort. A lot of positive came out of the trip I think and for the sake of information sharing here are a few things: We searched 4 miles of the Orbeton Stream south of the AT intersection. Every nook and cranny, every strainer, undercut, and deep pool with goggles and good sense. We actually walked the river, up to our ankles and necks in water. I moved log jams, huge mounds of beached debris, swam under waterfalls and crashed through all sorts of seemingly solid debris fields. We shined multiple flashlights into the depths of water sun couldn't reach where nobody has likely looked for inchworm. We even encountered a Solo Outward Bound group of a dozen well spaced small camps nearer the AT and south up to about a mile. These kids were truly out there and were, to some extent, quite likely searching around the river too. I can in full confidence say that no only did we find no trace but I could not possibly imagine a body being able to travel through the maze of strainers and blockages at any level without being caught or stuck on something. There were two or three spots where I couldn't search due to danger that she could easily have been but if shes there shes is forever lost. Since the other drainages have been searched, shes either in the Atlantic or elsewhere. We did find an abandoned tent along the stream in a very remote area all by itselt. It was super creepy to see as it seemed to be supported by something inside but it was just a tarp rolled up. The tent did not seem to be a backpackers tent and seemed too old and abandoned to be significant. I'll still let the wardens know of the find. Aside from that the only other interesting things we discovered were the constant but random received text message events we got. We had asked people to text us a lot during the multi-day search and we did receive about a half dozen text from our At&t, Verizon, and Straight Talk phones at some very unusual spots several hours after they were 'pushed out.' One example was while I was swimming inside a large water filled crevasse in one of the two gorge/canyons of the Orbeton deep in the valley with just a little daylight when my cellphone received a text. It was buried in my backpack underwater in two drybags when I heard it chim and vibrate. Our conclusion is that text messages can be received just about anywhere in this area, either sitting or in motion. It is almost impossible to get a text message out, much less a phone call. We were in the deepest/lowest part of the entire valley, so its reasonable to conclude that at a higher elevation a cellphone would eventually receive a text, even if motionless. Railroad road at the moment (8-18-2014) is being logged and is in excellent condition. Any vehicle can travel it to very near the AT area (1.25 miles). The washouts have been repaired. I'll try to post some pictures or a link or out search for anyone who is interested. I will not be pursuing this search in 2014 or probably ever but if you have questions feel free to pm me here. I feel I'm one of the few dozen or so 'informed' folks unofficially involved in Gerry Largays case when it comes to the full details. Feel free to write. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    So we didn't find her .....
    Starfly - you're an angel! I'm certain that the family, the wardens, volunteers, everyone involved in Gerry's search is eternally grateful for your time and effort. It was a tough job, but the not finding her, is just as important as finding her at this point. You've erased yet another possible scenario from the list. Great job!!!

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

i agree with Turtle Feet & TOW. . .every time a search has gone out i have held out hope for an answer as to what happened to Inchworm. . .although i knew Inchworm briefly, i knew something about her. . .my hiking partner & i met Inchworm at poplar ridge leanto and i took a photo of her the morning she left the leanto, the last known sighting of inchworm. . .she was so full of joy that morning, just like many of us feel when we are on the Trail and are following our plans. i hold that moment dearly as i continue to hope. . .

my heart goes out to her family, please know i think/pray for Inchworm.

.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

FWIW, here's a somewhat similar case that happened in my neck of the woods:
    http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette...-believed-have

Note that though this is Colorado, it is HIGHLY used area. In fact, I am pretty certain I know what semi-off trail campsite is referenced in the article.

IF a person wanders off trail for whatever reason, accidents can happen. And the Maine woods are considerably thicker than the Colorado woods.

What I am trying to say, is not to give up hope!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Starfly, was there a road nearby............. a logging road ?
    Just ignore it

Page 82 of 134 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++