WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 133 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2679
    Journal Entries

Thanks guys you are all such wonderful people! Speedbump Railroad road is a logging road that can be used to access the AT in this area. Its passable via car to near the AT where it becomes impassable about a mile to 1.25 miles south of it. A short walk of about 45 minutes to an hour brings you to the Railroad rd / AT intersection. Check a map and it will help. Banjum rd is another access road to the AT further east that I believe is more vehicle friendly. Hope that helps. PM me for further information. Ill post some pictures of our trip. Even though my post was rather somber we had a great time and the area was really beautiful. I'd recommend anyone to take a hike in from these points and have a look around

Journal Entries

That's an interesting article on Patricia Wallace Mags thanks a bunch! Its interesting how far from the search zone or PLS she got. A commentator of the article indicates she went up and over a 11k pass and then down in completely the wrong direction. She ended up 2-3 miles from where they thought she'd be, evidently off trail a ways. Who knows what terrain she went through. If a 74 year old could do that, either in a delirious state of mind or not, a 66 year old seasoned hiker like Inchworm could get a long way in the much flatter terrain with logging roads and game trails. *sigh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    FWIW, here's a somewhat similar case that happened in my neck of the woods:
    http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette...-believed-have

Note that though this is Colorado, it is HIGHLY used area. In fact, I am pretty certain I know what semi-off trail campsite is referenced in the article.

IF a person wanders off trail for whatever reason, accidents can happen. And the Maine woods are considerably thicker than the Colorado woods.

What I am trying to say, is not to give up hope!
    Thanks for posting this, Mags. I had heard about this when I was hiking in Colorado last year, not long after Inchworm disappeared, and had always wondered what happened. Because it was such a well-trafficked area, it was especially troubling.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Following man found in Maine as a hermit an thief, could he be a suspect?

The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit
    For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...printable=true
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Following man found in Maine as a hermit an thief, could he be a suspect?

The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit
    For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...printable=true
    I'm guessing you didn't read that article since he was apprehended in April of 2013.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

Thanks for that link. How interesting!!! I had never heard about this before and I am enthralled actually.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxpatch67 View Post
    Thanks for that link. How interesting!!! I had never heard about this before and I am enthralled actually.
    I am fascinated by the hermit story as well. I could not find a thread on the topic, but if there is interest enough to discuss it, we could start one.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSeamstress View Post
    I am fascinated by the hermit story as well. I could not find a thread on the topic, but if there is interest enough to discuss it, we could start one.
    I was totally taken by the story. I think that anyone who loves the woods can relate. To survive all those years wiothout contact or help is amazing(he had outside "help", in that he stole what he needed).\

Wow....

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/09/2...pped-to-25000/

Back to Geraldine, the reward has been increased. A couple of new threads appeared for this, but I wanted to post it here for those following.

Do rewards typically get increased because authorities suspect that someone knows something and isn't talking -- to grease the wheels, so to speak or is it usually just an act of desperation?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

oh thats terrible

I think rewards increase as families raise more money and time passes as they get more desperate for answers
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

That's a good question...
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

I hate to say it, but I think the bump up in the reward is more sillto encourage the locals to keep an eye out and start looking around again. Hiking season is almost over but hunting season is just starting. I think the family already assume the worst happened and just want to find the remains.

There's no shame in saying that money is a motive for people to talk - them's just the facts. Yes, 'greasing the wheels' if you want to call it that. IF someone out there knows something, a reward like this could be the tipping point.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I truly hope that this propels someone who knows something about what happened to inchworm to come forward and talk confidentially to the authorities.
    Trillium

In a perfect world _if_ you could reach out to everyone that was within 30 miles of the mountain when Inchworm was last seen rewards would not be an issue.
    But this is not a perfect world.
    In today's world reward$ serve to keep her missing in the public attention. Let's hope it does some good.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

At this point, someone who knows something which might lead her may find themselves to be a prime suspect.

Journal Entries

Clearly posting a reward and increasing it both improves the chances of getting a good tip and for putting boots on the ground in the location of the missing person. Its an old strategy and I'm glad to see it as I haven't heard of any official or unofficial interest in searching for her since I did. Several law enforcement personnel actually inquired if I was a 'bounty hunter' before I did my search for Inchworm, which I wasn't but there were several groups up there who were. In some cases its sad that it would come to that. In others, its a simple method to move would-be recreators to this area. If I still hunted, I'd get my permit for this area and accomplish two things at once.

Journal Entries

A writer / reporter briefly contacted me about the Inchworms disappearance. Keep your eyes peeled for an article or articles in the Boston Globe and possibly other outlets near the first of January.

I am from Maine and have hiked quite a bit in this region. I did the Rangeley to Stratton section in late September. There had just been another two-week search involving 40 wardens, three cadaver dogs and several volunteers. They found nothing. There are signs posted asking people to report anything that might be connected, i.e. clothes, equipment, etc. The locals, including loggers and hunters, are very aware of the situation. The section from which Inchworm supposedly disappeared - Poplar Ridge to the South Branch of the Carrabassett - struck me as a difficult place to disappear. I am not implying anything, but up until the steep drop to the Carrabassett it is relatively featureless compared to other section in Maine, the Mahoosics or the Whites. There are no steep cliffs, crevices thickets or whatever that could swallow someone. The drop to the Carrabassett is very rough but it is rather open and would not conceal much. Two guides that I talked with independently were both of the opinion that she was most likely lost fording the river and the search should be downstream. One Maine Guide considers the Carrabassett the most dangerous ford in Maine. The other told me there had been rain during the previous days and the river was likely high. It was low when I crossed it but I still had the thought that if I fell I would be carried a ways before I could recover. If someone hit their head or broke an arm.....? I also talked to people who said the husband was very sincere although one of the guides thought it strange that the night before he dropped her off they stayed in a motel but the next night he stayed in the car. Again, I'm not implying anything, just reporting on what I hear and observed. I still hope this is solved.

Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 133 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++