WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Branch shelter near Standing Indian

Thought ya'll might like to see a few recent (yesterday) pictures of this latest addition to the Nantahala section. Beautiful design and construction. Looks like it would hold 20-30 hikers comfortably and plenty more if the weather got rough.Not sure what it means, but in the latrine...there are handicap handholds installed. After a 20 mile day they might come in handy to get up from the 'throne' !
    Did not see any bear cables to speak of, just a few abandoned when the line got hung-up. Excellent stream within 100 yards. I was planning on staying the night, but decided to move on and found a great little ridge site a few miles north of the shelter. God, I love the AT !!

Think I will nickname this shelter the Taj Mahal !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice pictures. Love that section. Did you notice a broom at the shelter? Next time I go, I'm carrying in a broom. Last few times there I couldn't find a broom and the floor was really really dirty. From the looks of the privvy, I'll bring in a toilet brush also.

Did you mean near (North of) Albert Mountain?

We stopped for lunch there in May. It is indeed a great shelter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, a few miles north of Mt. Albert. Looks like you might have been some of the first visitors !! No grafitti to speak of....

Big Spring shelter on the backside of Albert was in bad shape and was close to a forest service road. The water supply was unreliable, and the few times I passed by, the shelter was trashed with beer cans and mice had established a pretty good presence. The shelter is scheduled to be removed...might already have happened.

Long Branch is a welcome addition to this area and a great place to stop for lunch or hunker down if the weather is bad.

daddytwosticks..did not notice a broom. Sure it could use one !!

Thats the shelter that was listed in AWOLs Guide as being open. Only problem was that it wasn't. Pissed a lot of thru hikers off who planned on staying there.

Speaking of brooms; one year I sectioned GA a weekend at a time. I carried one broom each trip and left it at a shelter. By the next year every one was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats the shelter that was listed in AWOLs Guide as being open. Only problem was that it wasn't. Pissed a lot of thru hikers off who planned on staying there.

Speaking of brooms; one year I sectioned GA a weekend at a time. I carried one broom each trip and left it at a shelter. By the next year every one was gone.
    Just about every broom I've seen in shelters were missing a handle. Must make great walking staffs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Just about every broom I've seen in shelters were missing a handle. Must make great walking staffs.
    Or firewood

++ New Posts ++