Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FT Thru Hike

Images

Default FT Thru Hike

Hello all,

I'm in the process of planning a thru-hike of the FT beginning after January 1st, 2014.

Initially, I'd been planning to do from Springer to Harper's Ferry but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it makes more sense for me to just do a thru of the FT. My primary reasoning:

1) I'm a native Floridian and this will give me an opportunity to really get to know my home.
    2) Getting to and from the trail periodically will be easier because I have friends and family all over the state.
    3) I can leave sooner (January) than waiting for the thaw in the Appalachians (April/May).

However, all of my planning thus far has been on the assumption that I'd be hiking the AT. Now I am facing a bit of a scramble to get everything in place for an early January start-date.

So, that being said, I've compiled some basic questions about the trail that I'm hoping can be answered by some of my fellow hikers.

1) How do I get to Loop Road? I've read some info from last year that says the road was closed--is this still the case? Also, are there any shuttles that go out this far? I don't know anyone that far south who would be able to take me into the Preserve so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to get there, short of hitchhiking.

2) Is hiking the FT cheaper than hiking a comparative length of the AT? I know this is a difficult question. It seems to me that there are less options to stop along the FT so therefore, less opportunities to spend money on creature comforts. I'm working up a basic budget and I'm trying to get an idea of how much money I should plan on spending during a thru-hike (keeping in mind that I already have all of my big-ticket gear items).

3) I'm familiar with Florida Hikes, the FTA, and of course this website--are there any other good sources of info for hopeful FT thru-hikers?

4) How useful are water/boat shoes on the underwater portions of the FT? I recognize that I will be getting wet but I'm trying to find a solution to walking in wet socks and shoes all day (if there is one).

5) I have a copy of Sandra Friend's 2002 FT guidebook (the one with the blue cover). I know that there are always changes taking place to the trail--would this book still be sufficient for my purposes, with a bit of editing for the sections that have been rerouted, or should I seek out more updated information?

That should do it for now...but I'm sure there will be many questions to come. Thanks to all

Images

You may find this interesting to read:
    http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspo...lorida%20Trail

I met Christine (German Tourist) on the FT when she was doing her through hike on the FT. She picked a cold wet year to hike. Hopefully your weather will be better. Be prepared to be alone for long periods of time.
    You are supposed to be an FTA member and carry your card where the FT is on private property. I remember sections along the Suwannee River where you literally walked thriugh the back yards of some houses. We never got questioned, but it would be a good idea to have the membership card with you.
    I can't help much with the costs. Keep searching the web for more info, and a lot of folks on this board will have info.

hello

I started section day-hiking the FT last year and hope to continue in another month or so. I will share what I can, but there is a lot I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    1) How do I get to Loop Road? I've read some info from last year that says the road was closed--is this still the case? Also, are there any shuttles that go out this far? I don't know anyone that far south who would be able to take me into the Preserve so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to get there, short of hitchhiking.
    I did a search for "big cypress national preserve guide" and found this guy (http://captainstevesswampbuggyadventures.com). I haven' used him but I figure when I get there, he might be an option.

3) I'm familiar with Florida Hikes, the FTA, and of course this website--are there any other good sources of info for hopeful FT thru-hikers?
    I found some info on trailjournals. This site seems OK: http://thruhikeflorida.jimdo.com/

4) How useful are water/boat shoes on the underwater portions of the FT? I recognize that I will be getting wet but I'm trying to find a solution to walking in wet socks and shoes all day (if there is one).
    I had a no-name pair for water sandals but when they came apart I upgraded to a pair of Tevas. I only used them a couple of times but liked them well enough.

5) I have a copy of Sandra Friend's 2002 FT guidebook (the one with the blue cover). I know that there are always changes taking place to the trail--would this book still be sufficient for my purposes, with a bit of editing for the sections that have been rerouted, or should I seek out more updated information?
    She has a new book coming out in the fall: http://www.floridahikes.com/the-florida-trail-guide

Not that you can necessarily plan this, but try to attempt the Big Cypress National Preserve 30 mile section (map42; way down south) and the Bradwell Bay 12 mile section (map 10, below Tallahassee) after a drought. It will still be wet but at least more easily passable.

Enjoy!

I forgot to mention. I emailed the NPS regarding the Big Cypress 30 mile section and here is part of the response:

"The best time to hike the trail through the Preserve tends to be from late January through mid May. There are no roadways that bisect the trail between US 41 and I-75. I would recommend doing the stretch with an over night stay. Even if not wet the terrain can be very rough.

Please be aware that due to a construction project that will be taking place at the MM 63 rest area on I-75, access to the trail from that site will be closed for the 2013/14 hiking season. It is anticipated that the construction will be completed by fall of 2014."

You might try sending Sandra Friend an e-mail [email protected] and explain your plans and see when the new Trail Guide is being published. I'm guessing she may be using the same printer as AWOL uses for the AT guide. She might even have a PDF copy that is ready now. I'm only guessing, I don't know her. Her new guide is patterned after AWOL's guide and should be the hot ticket for FT thru hikers.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Loop road was rebuilt and opened before last year's season.

Unless something changes expect plenty of water in Big Cypress this year, we have had above average rainfall in South Florida and not even a real tropical storm yet. Although winter is the dry season, surface water is accumulated during the summer wet season. The are running out of places to pump it.

My preferred swamp footwear these days are water/boat shoes with neoprene socks. Doesn't keep your feet "dry" but it does keep out the crud.

It will cost you less per mile than an AT thru hike if for no other reason than you have less places to spend money on food or on lodging. At least on the lower half of the trail.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

It will cost you less per mile than an AT thru hike if for no other reason than you have less places to spend money on food or on lodging. At least on the lower half of the trail.

That is true for the upper half too. There are no "trail towns".
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I am game.

Following this thread.

made order for my shores.
    looking at flights.

just let me know.....

Images

This is all great info. I'd figured that the water shoes would be okay, my only concern is the pock-marked limestone being too harsh for thinner soled shoes. I'll have my regular shoes with me though, so in a pinch, I could just get them wet.

I've been reading a lot about the Big Cypress and the Bradwell Bay area and they both seem majestic if not a little daunting. I'm excited to see them but I'm also a little nervous about treading through waist deep water. But I guess that's the FT's physical exertion equivalent of the White Mountains.

With regards to there not being a lot of trail towns, I'm guessing then that options for resupply are limited--so I'm thinking that mail drops will be necessary in addition to planning stops at towns along the way.

I'm also looking at routes and while I'd love to hike through the Green Swamp and Withlacoochee area, there seems to be a lot of road walking on the Western corridor.

Also, I'd love to hear from other hopeful thru-hikers and what their plans are, and also so that I'll know who to look for out there

There was a supported group hike of the FT last winter, several of the hikers kept a trailsjournal which would be informative reading. Since I detest road walking, from the journals I learned this is not the kind of hike I would endever to take, but each to their own. Even though it's winter, probably your most important piece of gear will be a good sun hat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hello Old_Man

I current live in South Florida. I can shuttle you to loop road. I hike the Everglade's sections frequently last time was two weeks ago. I will agree with some above posters comments. The swamp could be really wet this year. Especially, for an early January start. We are having a really wet season down here.

-Stitch-

This is all great info. I'd figured that the water shoes would be okay, my only concern is the pock-marked limestone being too harsh for thinner soled shoes. I'll have my regular shoes with me though, so in a pinch, I could just get them wet.

Believe it or not a good shoe to hike the FT is the old Converse Chuck Taylor high tops. They pull out of the muck real easy and don't come off. This is our go to "hunting boot". They drain and dry real well and just like what WM likes about the water shoes and neoprene socks they keep the crud out. Pair them up with some Dirty Girls and they keep the grass and sticks out of the laces.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Cheaper hike ..but only because their aren't trail towns.

Trail angels for resupply are a big help, but our network/community arent as extensive as the AT folks.

Post up when your coming through, especially in the Central FL area and we'll see what we can do to arrange some trail magic.

As far as the first leg .... prepare to be knee-deep and knee-deep for a few days at a time. I was wet up to the knees for 3-6 days at a pop, from day 2 to about Central, FL for both my FT trips.
    A pack mule, just not your pack mule.

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    Hello Old_Man

I current live in South Florida. I can shuttle you to loop road. I hike the Everglade's sections frequently last time was two weeks ago. I will agree with some above posters comments. The swamp could be really wet this year. Especially, for an early January start. We are having a really wet season down here.

-Stitch-
    This is from August 3, 2013. South Florida Water Management District
    The SFWMD reported today that this is the wettest start to the annual wet season in 45 years, with the district-wide average rainfall for the last month at 10.36 inches. Just one inch of rain falling on one acre is equal to about 27,154 gallons of water.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If that's the current and projected water fall, what would a person who is 5'2" do?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There was a supported group hike of the FT last winter, several of the hikers kept a trailsjournal which would be informative reading. Since I detest road walking, from the journals I learned this is not the kind of hike I would endever to take, but each to their own. Even though it's winter, probably your most important piece of gear will be a good sun hat.
    Been trying to look them up....have only found Bamboo Bob's posts (who I actually met on the AT!)

Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    If that's the current and projected water fall, what would a person who is 5'2" do?
    Get a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    Been trying to look them up....have only found Bamboo Bob's posts (who I actually met on the AT!)

www.trailjournals.com click on Florida trail on the list in the upper left corner of the home page and the FT journals will be there, listed in order of latest update.

Chuck Norris and Tigger have supported a group hike for a few years. http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=14398 No idea if they are doing it again next Jan. Randy, I think, is still the long distance co-ordinater for the Florida Trail Assn..

Images

Wow, that's a lot of water. I don't know if anyone watches the show Naked and Afraid but there was an episode where the contestants had to spend 21 days in the Louisiana Swamp without a stitch of clothing and only a knife and some fire starters. They spent most of their time in ankle deep water trying not to get tagged by moccasins. I think they were starting to show signs of trench foot after a couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++