Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default hiking skirts/skorts

I'm interested in recommendations for hiking skirts or skorts. It seems that skorts would kind of defeat the purpose, but my friend who thrued in 2009 (Gangsta) seemed to love hers.

Good skirts/skorts and thoughts on hiking in them?

Thanks!
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

I've hiked in a running skort. It's comfortable and quick drying. It looks a little silly with my boots but hey, I've never seen any fashion police out patrolling the AT.

I've hiked in nylon skirts that I've gotten from thrift stores. I started wearing a skirt my second time hiking Mt Lassen where we spent 4 hours above treeline and the only place to pee was while standing on the trail. I also find hiking in a skirt especially useful on trails with a lot of people, as I can quickly pee (standing up) with minimal exposure. Skirts are a drag if you need to climb over a lot of downed trees. Also a drag in mosquito or tick infested areas or where the trail is overgrown. I've also needed to wear compression shorts under the skirt to prevent chaffing. Needed to wear gaiters to keep debris out of shoes.

I just got back from doing a section of the PCT and happily went back to wearing light colored, nylon long pants. I didn't take a skirt, and didn't really miss it. Several times where I was glad that I was wearing long pants.

This is me, but given what I heard about ticks on the AT... I think that I'd wear long pants if/when I have the opportunity to hike in the East. But plenty of people certainly hike the AT with bare legs.

I like the Bettona skorts from Athleta.
    http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=567658012

The fabric is moisture-wicking and very comfy. The shorts are probably the best I've had in a skort. They're made of stretchy -- but hardy -- mesh-like fabric and they stay put -- no riding up or bunching. The one downside is that the skirt fabric takes a while to dry if it gets truly soaked. But, it's pretty versatile -- I've worn it to the office on casual days and out to dinner at restaurants.

I may try this one next, because I have a gift card I am itching to use. It looks a little more durable for hiking:
    http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=918973002
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Apologies for the invasion ladies- but as a fellow skirt wearer I thought I'd chime in, I researched this topic recently and ended up making my own. While most men call em kilts, I call em skirts.
    To Marshbirder; If the reason you are considering a skirt is to avoid/reduce chafing- you're right- the skort is pointless. There are modesty/fashion reasons for a skort- but eliminating the inseam is the point of the skirt. Panties with skirt is a bigger help than skirt with built in shorts or a skort. Or go commando.

Body Glide, even with a skirt- seems to be the only solution for me during the hottest times of the year. You can find it at many running or sporting goods stores- it goes on like deodorant and because it's made for high temps- the stick doesn't melt in the heat like deodorant can in your pack.

As DLP mentioned- your best bet seems to be a homemade or cheap nylon skirt. They are fairly easy to make- I make mine out of M50 (from thru-hiker.com). With two pockets and an elastic waistband it comes out to around an ounce. One solution to the tick issue is to wear tall socks. On the AT specifically- that's enough. On less well maintained trails- well pants are pants.

QHShowoman has found the biggest issue with most commercial skirts (and many running clothes)- the spandex/lycra count does help the garment retain it's shape/look/feel- but for backpackers- they are a bitch to dry. Perfect fabric for a sweaty run, but not for days of backpacking away from the dryer.

Sport Kilt is one source, but they don't really have much info available- http://sportkilt.com/
    Mountain hardware (several other skirts too but this is one I've heard good reviews of) http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Wome...efault,pd.html
    I was surprised to find that running skirts were hard to find- although my wife has recently had good luck with cheap workout stuff at TJMaxx.

I went with the homemade- weight is good, drytime is awesome. The M50 fabric does have a DWR coating, but a few runs followed by washing with standard detergent has stripped most of that away. I do have to put something small in the pocket (like a quarter) or the skirt drifts up because it's so light. If you want some info on making a skirt PM me.

Images

My wife wears an old Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt, won't hike in anything else. Not sure if they are still available...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I often hike in a Macabi convertible skirt.

http://www.macabiskirt.com/
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ...the biggest issue with most commercial skirts (and many running clothes)- the spandex/lycra count does help the garment retain it's shape/look/feel- but for backpackers- they are a bitch to dry.
    That's why I stopped wearing sports bras... but that's another thread.

I love the Macabi skirt because you can clip it into various lengths depending on what you're doing. It dries quickly and has lots of pockets. I'm surprised everyone doesn't wear one!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    My wife wears an old Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt, won't hike in anything else. Not sure if they are still available...
    I have one of those. They changed models the following year. Looks more like a kilt than a skirt.

Images

I hiked NC and TN in a Mountain Hardware Kilt. Loved it! Easy to pee, easy to change into long underwear in the shelters, and plenty of air circulation to keep problems at bay. Only drawback of the MH is it is heavy. That is why I will be rocking a sportkilt this time around. Much lighter with all the benefits.

P9290111.jpgP9290111.jpgP9290111.jpg

Images

Hmmm, there are times when I have seen "double" in my life, but this is a first seeing "triple", lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    I hiked NC and TN in a Mountain Hardware Kilt. Loved it! Easy to pee, easy to change into long underwear in the shelters, and plenty of air circulation to keep problems at bay. Only drawback of the MH is it is heavy. That is why I will be rocking a sportkilt this time around. Much lighter with all the benefits.

P9290111.jpgP9290111.jpgP9290111.jpg

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I bought two REI skorts for my trip to Europe. They were absolutely comfortable. Definitely would wear them on the AT

Images

Thanks for all of the input! I don't wear short skirts in the "real world" but I think that would be a better option for me on the trail because I don't want anything rubbing on my knees. At least when I'm in sections that don't require a lot of sliding on my butt or climbing over large fallen trees. I have an L.L. Bean skort that rubs too much on the top of my legs if I'm walking for a long time. I have plenty of time to try some out...
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

I also don't see the point of a skort ... it's the same as shorts! I guess the point is that it's cuter, which I totally understand. Lookin' good never takes a day off.

I'm pretty new to backpacking, but I did a 4-day backpacking trip to Kings Peak, Utah, and I LIVED in this running skort I bought at Target: http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champi...Slot=large_1_7

It was seriously the most comfortable thing ever. I packed capris on the trip and wore them the first day, but never went back.

Ladies (and interested gentleman)- I'm leaving for the LT in a few hours, so I'll have some trail tested feedback soon. Since making my M50 skirts I also found some non-coated ripstop material and have played with that too. I plan to take both with me on my trip, but find myself liking the ripstop model better. My M50 model weighs a whopping 1 ounce. It is so thin and wispy though that I need to put a small rock in my pocket to stop it from floating away. I'm also a bit worried about long term durability, although no issues on 10 days worth of trips and a few dozen day trips. I have a hard time believing it would make it though a thru hike or even a busy season.

The "heavy duty" model came in at 2.5 ounces. It dries in 15 minutes (I wore it in the shower, washed it, wrung it out, and put it on) and has two pockets, comes to knee length. My other skirts are mid thigh- very comfy, breezy and more than modest enough when walking- but not so much when taking a break. This slightly longer model, if you'll forgive the mental image, leaves me much more contained when taking a break. If all goes well on the trip I'll let you know- but if folks are interested I can provide some instructions for those that sew or possibly make a few for folks if needed.

Skirts are the way to go, when temps dip you can add your own undies if needed. Keeping them separate makes laundry easier and leaves you cleaner and more versatile. I experimented with built in (sewn in) undies but found that to be less versatile and no weight savings overall, and the longer length (just touching your knee) seems perfect all around. While probably not a fair comparison- I can tell you ladies that squatting to poop in a skirt is a much more comfy choice than balancing with short-cuffs around your ankles- and no risk of accidently peeing on your shorts (you're still on your own with your shoes). I even found myself squatting to pee a few times when hiking the crowded local forest preserves here at home- a quick squat seems much less conspicuous. There are a lot of easily alarmed rich suburban housewives on the trails by me that don't like furry fellows with pigtails and a skirt to be standing around peeing while they walk their designer dogs. So as an occasional pee squatter (don't get to excited hill-ape)- skirts seem to be the garment of choice.

If any of you have info on the sport kilt (weight and reviews) please share- they seem to be the closest thing available. All the others were heavy- near a half pound, slow to dry, and had high lycra counts. Maybe no biggie out west, but in the humid east- even my New Balance running shorts at four ounces turn into 16 ounce sponges for the bulk of the trip. Keep that in mind when checking out a commercial skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    While probably not a fair comparison- I can tell you ladies that squatting to poop in a skirt is a much more comfy choice than balancing with short-cuffs around your ankles- and no risk of accidently peeing on your shorts (you're still on your own with your shoes). I even found myself squatting to pee a few times when hiking the crowded local forest preserves here at home- a quick squat seems much less conspicuous.
    LOL us ladies have figured out that if you squat, you should pull your pants/shorts down to your knees. Why would you pull them all the way down? This makes no sense, and as you pointed out only increases the risk of soiling them. But I applaud your efforts to enter the glorious domain of squatting.

I have a related question about underwear and skirts. I love the idea of a hiking skirt since it would be so much easier to pee, but is it safe/acceptable to just wear them with normal underwear? Or is it better to wear shorties to keep the bugs/dirt/rocks away?

Section Hiker

KacePace, I've been looking for and trying on hiking skirts but having issues with fit including them being VERY short (useless)--still looking. But I did get some women's boxer briefs from a company called Wickers to try under the skirt when I find the right one. I plan on wearing those or my regular wicking hiking undies under the skirt. Right now I'm seriously contemplating the men's Mountain Hardwear kilt, nothing quite so useful specifically for women.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++