Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Lightbulb The Great Bra Search Is Over

Ok, I have found the perfect bra, finally, for hiking the AT. Backstory, I have tried several kinds, i.e. front snap, back snap, sports bras, cool max bras. You name it and I have tried it. My problems with all of them revolved around the ability to wick, dry fast and BE EASY to take off in my sleeping bag in a modest way (think crowded shelter in a downpour). Most of them met the first criteria but were a pain to get off from inside a zipped sleeping bag. Some met the EASY test, but couldn't perform in the wick or dry criteria. Enter the zip-front sports bra by Hanes... perfect and on sale for under 14 bucks. Nirvana!

I ordered the large and extra large to try 'em out. The Ex Large measures in at 38" band width and the Large is 36". Doesn't come in cup sizes because it is more like a sports bra than a regular bra;

• Zip front closure for easy dressing and better fit..easy on and off
    • Molded cups minimize movements and give support...not the usual una-boobs from regular sports bras
    • V-neck bra is attractive and keeps you well covered, great for v-neck shirts
    • Compression support lets you go about your active movements worry free
    • Moisture control fabric keeps you cool and dry
    • Thick racer back straps stay in place comfortably and let you move up the trail without the straps slipping
    • Fabric: Nylon/spandex Not the heaviest fabric, but not flimsy either
    • Care: Hand wash, tumble dry

I intend to swim in this bra also. I tried it out at a friends pool this weekend, worked like a regular swim top and dried out quickly. This one's for me! Ok, I know I went a little overboard on my enthusiasm, but I have been looking for over six years for the best hiking bra for me. Who knew they made zip-front bras .... I didn't. Good luck ladies, stay comfortable out there.

http://www.sears.com/hanes-zip-front...a=018J0079000P

I'd be interested to know if the zip front causes any chafing after a couple of days of sweaty, vigorous hiking.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

I'll let you know, so far on sweaty day hikes it hasn't been a problem. The zipper has an inner cover, very well made product.

Journal Entries

After reading several of the reviews at the link provided in the OP, I see that they are mostly positive, but there appear to be real concerns about a perceived lack of support with this product. I ran out to Sears during lunch today to check the product out...

I bought a black one, and I'll try it out in a couple weeks. Sears had them available in white, black, and pink.

There is a flap under the zipper that should prevent any chafing.

I wouldn't describe this as having "molded cups." It is a seamed cup, so there is some shaping incorporated. The primary feature I was looking for is enough structure to avoid the uniboob problem. For those that may not understand, the uniboob issue isn't just appearance. For me, it's about separation. Without separation, I develop a hot uncomfortable rash. I'm looking for a bra that can fix this problem, still be comfortable and quick to dry, and provide adequate coverage. So now I'm wondering if maybe the flap could help.

Images

Yep, I agree with illabelle about the "molded cups". The separation is more in between a regular bra and a sports bra. It's a hybrid, lol.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Sorry for posting in a women's forum, but I just wanted to pass along thanks for the pointer from my (non-hiker) wife. She's been having trouble doing up bras (other than the "surgical appliance" ones, which had troubles of their own) ever since her heart surgery this spring. These things appear to be just the ticket.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if it crosses the line.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Perfect timing. As I was leaving the gym yesterday, I was wondering what kind of bra I could use for a thru. The uniboob sweat issue was really bothering me and I felt so gross (sorry, TMI).
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Great info.! I was looking to see if they had it at my Sears and they don't. So I went searching online and found tons of different styles and brands of zip-front bras on Amazon. Who knew? There is one by Under Armour and one by Champion that are described as "tech" material. And some are made for larger cup sizes. Just thought I'd pass this on in case the Hanes one doesn't work out for others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Sorry for posting in a women's forum, but I just wanted to pass along thanks for the pointer from my (non-hiker) wife. She's been having trouble doing up bras (other than the "surgical appliance" ones, which had troubles of their own) ever since her heart surgery this spring. These things appear to be just the ticket.

Glad we could help A.K., hope it works for your wife, good luck with her recovery

Thank you!!

The best I could find last year was the one by EMS.
    It did very well on the trail.
    But now, it is running a little tight.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58 View Post
    Great info.! I was looking to see if they had it at my Sears and they don't.
    I didn't see it at Sears either - at first. There was a sports/athletic clothing section downstairs that had several sports bras on display. I looked and looked, but couldn't find this product and was thinking I would have to walk out empty-handed. Instead I asked an associate, who pointed me upstairs to the lingerie department. There they were. So don't give up if you don't see them. Ask.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post

Oh Kelvin....why would we want to delete you? You're probably one of the few guys on the planet who could sincerely contribute to a discussion of uniboobs vs separation and have something intelligent to say!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I didn't see it at Sears either - at first. There was a sports/athletic clothing section downstairs that had several sports bras on display. I looked and looked, but couldn't find this product and was thinking I would have to walk out empty-handed. Instead I asked an associate, who pointed me upstairs to the lingerie department. There they were. So don't give up if you don't see them. Ask.
    Actually I didn't go in the store. I checked it out online and there was a feature on the website that you could check to find out which stores carry it. The closest one is 45 minutes away. So I think I'm going to order it online. I'm wondering if this bra is being discontinued. I couldn't find it anywhere else online, including the actual Hanes website. Maybe I'll order 2! I can always return them if they don't fit.

I just ordered two on line because they are on sale just this week. I hope this will solve my problem finding a good bra. Thanks so much for the post.
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

I will definitely be checking these out. If it works, it will save hundreds of dollars spent/wasted on UA brand bras since they are the best thing I've found so far. I abhor the uniboob and hate trying to squish my not so small ladies in most sports bras.
    Cash Crate - it's not hiking but it helps make pocket change.

Journal Entries

Default No joke!

Bought a black one of these bras a couple days ago intending to try it out on a short section hike later this month. Decided I couldn't wait that long, so I tried it out for a few hours yesterday just around the house. While the bra is better than many of the sports bras I've tried in the past, it DOES NOT solve the sweat/heat rash problem! I had hoped that the flap under the zipper could be used as a "separator", but it was disappointing in that role.

However, I did have a perhaps slightly brilliant moment of inspiration that I will share with you. You can laugh all you want. You can make fun of me. You can tell me what a stupid idea it is. But I tried it out for a few minutes before I went to bed, and it seems like it will work. Lightweight, easily available, cheap. If you can't bear to be so cheap, send me 5 bucks and I'll "make" one for you, even personalize it with your name on it. Give it a try as soon as you can and report back on this thread.

Stick an empty toilet paper tube in your bra as a separator.

If your cleavage is hot and sweaty enough to cause a rash, that toilet paper tube is going to get damp with sweat after a couple hours of hiking and turn into a piece of mush.

Athleta, while pricey, has a great selection of sports bras - both wireless and with underwire - that won't result in a uniboob, like these:
    http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&clink=6952487
    http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=819373

I actually bought these to sleep in, originally, but wore one on an 11 mile hike last weekend and it was great. I suspect it's not super quick-drying, though, but for 2 for $12, you can't really go wrong: http://www.target.com/p/hanes-women-...FUHNOgodORMADw
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I bought two online. They should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back. I live in FL so it's always hot and humid here and I will wear it as a normal bra for a couple days and see how sweaty it gets underneath. Just as another idea, my mom sometimes puts a handkerchief under her boobs to absorb sweat.

Zipper could cause serious chafe long term. With my non-front zip sports bras, it takes me about 3 weeks of hiking all day to start getting really painful boob chafe. So even if you test it could be misleading. In some ways though, there is no way to prevent this if you're big boobed like me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++