Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

FYI, my OB/GYN who is a hiker, says that some of the bra related rashes (mine are under the underwire) are caused by the same fungus that causes athletes foot and can be treated with the same creams or ointmentw.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    FYI, my OB/GYN who is a hiker, says that some of the bra related rashes (mine are under the underwire) are caused by the same fungus that causes athletes foot and can be treated with the same creams or ointmentw.
    That's correct. It's actually a type of yeast infection. It's really important to wear a bra that is moisture-wicking and quick-drying for this reason.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Default Yes!

Great info! I'll have to try these out, they may be just the ticket.

I have been searching for a new, comfortable bra unsuccessfully. I'm full figured all over, but not that big in the cups. Getting a bra big enough to be comfortable all around without having cups too big has been a problem. I used to love the sports bras, but find they aren't that great getting them on and off, especially when hot and sweaty. I tried a zip-front bra from Academy a couple of years ago. My first thought, when I tried it on at home, was how comfortable it was. Then I stretched my arms out a little and discovered the zipper wouldn't stay locked and if I stretched just "right" the entire bra front would unzip and pop open. Back to the store it went. I'm pretty sure it was a Champion, but now I'm eager to try out the Hanes y'all are talking about. Thanks for info. Jill
    If not now, then when?

Journal Entries

I finally just gave up. I wear an underwire on the trail for support, coverage, and separation - I wish ventilation was better. Change into a comfy sports bra to sleep.

I don't mind the uniboob, it's the headlights I have a problem with. Any recommendations? I normally wear Moving Comfort, Fiona cause it fits the best.

I too have been looking for the perfect bra and haven't been having much luck. My problem is that my backpack straps seem to line up with any racer back sports bras I try, I can only find cotton bras that are spaghetti straps without adjusters(because these always seem rub and make raw spots under my pack too). I mostly get irritation on my collar bones from the racer back style. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying a smartwool bra with thin straps, altering it so the straps just fit and don't adjust... Has anyone tried any of their bras?

I bought an EMS sports bra because it was on clearance for $14 and it turned out to be my favorite for backpacking and hiking.
    The straps are very thin, so there's minimal rubbing under your pack, it's quick-drying, and the straps can be worn crisscross or regular style. There's a bit of ruching and seaming in the center, so you don't get a terrible uniboob effect. But the material is pretty thin, so it won't hide the headlights that well.

I am a 36C and got the L/XL size. It's not supportive enough for high impact stuff like aerobics or running, but I love it for hiking:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...7318.11302148#
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

I recently wore the bra from the OP while horseback riding and it worked great.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Well I"ll be! I'd given up on this issue too! After rotator cuff surgery, I couldn't wear bras that you put on overhead. (Got "trapped" in one once and had to ask for help to get it off- we're talking total humiliation!). I'm gonna get one of these. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    I don't mind the uniboob, it's the headlights I have a problem with. Any recommendations? I normally wear Moving Comfort, Fiona cause it fits the best.
    My wife (and most of the runners in the area) highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona as well. She is a 32 D- tricky bit of fitting for her so she's been through them all. No more wearing two sports bras with this bra for her. She found it generally thick enough for all but the worst headlight issues (I asked). The recommendation came from our local running shop and since asking around it is a very popular choice for runners everywhere. Another bonus (although not really a trail issue?) is that she has found it to be highly adjustable, so much so that she is going to stick with it as her pregnancy bra. Last time she went through half a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    My wife (and most of the runners in the area) highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona as well. She is a 32 D- tricky bit of fitting for her so she's been through them all. No more wearing two sports bras with this bra for her. She found it generally thick enough for all but the worst headlight issues (I asked). The recommendation came from our local running shop and since asking around it is a very popular choice for runners everywhere. Another bonus (although not really a trail issue?) is that she has found it to be highly adjustable, so much so that she is going to stick with it as her pregnancy bra. Last time she went through half a dozen.
    Yep, it's excellent for running and I bet it'd make a good breastfeeding bra because of the velcro straps. I'm an L & D/nursery/women's surgery nurse and never thought about recommending this bra for breastfeeding, thanks for the idea.

I generally wear thin, tighter-fitting shirts which doesn't help the headlight problem but that's how I stay cool. I've never been around anyone who rudely stared so I've learned to swallow my embarrassment. I wish I had the guts to go braless when hiking.

Braless- I hear in Europe there are clothing optional trails. You wouldn't have to wear anything. So make yourself comfortable, wear what you want, hike your own hike.

That is actually super cute and looks really moisture wicking. The zipper seems slightly pointless...but very sexy! I have so many that look just like this (just minus the zip) and you can get them for cheap at any sporting good store. Who knows I may not even wear a bra. Girls with small tits are more fortunate in that they can do that

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58 View Post
    Actually I didn't go in the store. I checked it out online and there was a feature on the website that you could check to find out which stores carry it. The closest one is 45 minutes away. So I think I'm going to order it online. I'm wondering if this bra is being discontinued. I couldn't find it anywhere else online, including the actual Hanes website. Maybe I'll order 2! I can always return them if they don't fit.
    I think you can still order it online for pick up at your local store can't you?

Thank you for this post! I joined this forum specifically for this section - I don't have many female hikers in my life and I get lost when it comes to gear. I've always hiked in normal bras because I have a very hard time finding a sports bra that isn't completely out of my price range or that fits (I'm a 40C and for some reason that's no trouble with a normal bra but with a sports bra they automatically make the band size 5 inches too small!).

This is the most comfortable sports bra I've ever owned, and I've tried on quite a few recently. I cannot wait to wear it on a hike. It will be a vast improvement on my underwire cotton bras. Performed well at the gym, but thankfully I am not a runner...it would definitely not hold up to much bouncing around.

Now I just need to find the perfect panties...

Thank you for this topic!!! I'm a 34D and find it so hard to be happy and comfortable while exercising. I will be trying the moving comfort bra soon...

I don't wear anything that doesn't have an underwire.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    I don't wear anything that doesn't have an underwire.
    Your panties must jab on those steep climbs.....yikes.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Your panties must jab on those steep climbs.....yikes.
    -_-

I see what you did there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++