WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Snow Peak Lite Max Stove and fuel canister question

Hi everyone. I just got the above stove and am reading through the warnings which say to ONLY use SnowPeak brand fuel canisters. Normally I would think this is a marketing thing but the instructions say that it is due to differing valve configuration and nozzle thicknesses which might lead gas leakage and possible fires. What has been your experience with interchanging fuel canisters?
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” Kahlil Gibran

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I bought the Lite Max for my last section hike and used an MSR canister successfully. Previously, with my old Snow Peak GigaPower, I noticed that it did not thread as well with the small 100g JetBoil canister, but I'm still here to talk about it.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by annamagpie View Post
    Hi everyone. I just got the above stove and am reading through the warnings which say to ONLY use SnowPeak brand fuel canisters. Normally I would think this is a marketing thing but the instructions say that it is due to differing valve configuration and nozzle thicknesses which might lead gas leakage and possible fires. What has been your experience with interchanging fuel canisters?
    From what I've been able to tell, it's just legal @$$ covering.

I've got an MSR Pocket Rocket, the SnowPeak LiteMax, and JetBoil Sol. I've mixed and matched these stoves with MSR, SnowPeak, and JetBoil canisters. I have not noticed any difference in how any of the stoves mate with any of the canisters.

Then consider that most retailers don't stock every name brand of canister, you know lots of other hikers have been forced to do the same. If there was a fundamental difference between the manufacturers causing problems in the field, we would have heard about it in places like this forum by now.

Images

I have the snow peak gigapower... I've used the snow peak, coleman, and jetboil cans. No issues. You could always get a few different ones and do a test: turn the stove valve off, screw canister onto stove, and dunk the whole thing in a bucket of water. Just like looking for leaks on a bike inner tube, where there are bubbles, there's a leak. Take the stove back off, and make sure the little canister seals back. Different burners are probably configured a little differently for different fuel mixes, but your worst problem will probably be efficiency, not a flaming stove.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Thnak you. I appreciate your input.!
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” Kahlil Gibran

I mean, thank you.

There is a little something to it- the folks at Backpacking Light really get into way more than you ever wanted to know if you wanted to really know.
    Cliff notes version- you can interchange nearly any name brand USA canister stove fuel cell- but if you ever travel abroad be careful. Mainly the composition of the gas, dirt in the container, and a few other minor items pop up. A mis-seated canister is pretty unlikely, but it can happen. Mainly from operator error though not threading or o-ring design.
    As Hoo said, is mainly a legal disclaimer- stick with name brand canisters and you'll be fine.

thanks!

Since i last used a stove, it has been several years. At the risk of asking what could be an obvious dilemma to everyone else, i will anyway. I just purchased the Snowpeak and attached the fuel canister, but all it produces are blasts of cold air. I am already running late for my weekend trip and do not know what to do.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackerGreg View Post
    Since i last used a stove, it has been several years. At the risk of asking what could be an obvious dilemma to everyone else, i will anyway. I just purchased the Snowpeak and attached the fuel canister, but all it produces are blasts of cold air. I am already running late for my weekend trip and do not know what to do.
    Bring a bunch of firestarter (e.g., vaseline dipped cotton balls; dryer lint) and matches and hope that the tinder is dry.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++