WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default ULA CDT or Golite Jam 50 compatibility with a CCF pad

Hey guys, I'm currently looking to upgrade my pack. I like both the ULA CDT and the Golite Jam, but my problem with them both is that there are no external straps to strap my CCF sleeping pad (I use a hammock) to. Have other people been able to reasonably combat this problem? I see there is the one clip on the top of each pack, could the pad slide in there without an issue? As always, thank you guys

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

When I had a GoLite Pinnacle, which was a larger version of the current Jam 50, I was able to lash my RidgeRest vertically on one side using the side compression straps. I was still able to keep a water bottle in the side pocket even with the pad there. I think you could probably also lash it on top horizontally underneath the closure strap, but you'd have to take it off every time you wanted to open up the pack.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

The CDT is a frameless pack and is meant to be used with your CCF pad INSIDE the pack, acting as the frame. If that's news to you, maybe you should do a bit more research about how to pack a frameless pack.

Also, one strap across the top of a pack is more than enough to hold a rolled up pad in place, even in windy conditions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    maybe you should do a bit more research about how to pack a frameless pack.
    i carry a golite pinnacle and i hammock. i carry no pad. have i been doing it wrong?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    maybe you should do a bit more research about how to pack a frameless pack.
    I'm well aware that the CDT is a frameless pack, thank you very much. I'm also well aware that you do not HAVE to use a CCF as the frame.

If you use a Z-rest which folds flat instead of rolling up, the Z-rest can be used in place of the small, thin piece of CCF supplied with the pack for the "frame". This does however use up a lot of the valuable space inside the pack, which there isn't much of in the CDT. You can use a roll up pad inside the pack by making it a "tube" and stuffing everything in the middle, but that really takes up too much space.

So, if you want to put a CCF pad inside one of these packs, you really got to be a minimualist and have really compact gear. You can devise ways of attaching the pad to the outside of the pack like mensioned above, or add some strap anchers to the bottom of the pack. But I really hate to have stuff hanging off the outside of my pack so I try to avoid doing that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used the ULA CDT on my thru last year. I was the only one I ever saw using the CDT, which kind of surprised me. To answer your question, I'd trust the top strap/clip enough to keep the pad pinched in there. It may be slightly unstable depending on the width/size of your pad, but I bet you could tighten it enough that it wouldn't be an issue. I used a zlite pad (I used 8 sections, for a torso length pad) inside the pack for the frame, anything more and it takes up too much space inside. At the same time I also carried a nice foam sit pad I found in a hiker box that I folded up and strapped under that nifty top strap. I never go anywhere without that pad strapped on up there

I normally carry 2 pads with my CDT. A GG foam torso pad for comfort and insulation that I use as the pack support. And a full length 1/8" foam pad that I use for lounging during the day and as extra insulation when needed that I carry rolled on top under the top strap. There is no issues with it staying there. However, it does get dragged by branches and brush that have overgrown whatever trail you are on. I have a few small missing chunks in my current bad as a result. No issues with any pad staying up there. However, the thicker the pad you have is, the more weight you'd be putting on top of your pack which may affect how it would carry. I have occasionally carried it on the side of the CDT with the bottom stuffed into the side pocket and the compression strap holding the middle. Though this would only work on a rolled pad with a small enough diameter to fit in the side pocket.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox12 View Post
    I used a zlite pad (I used 8 sections, for a torso length pad)
    I'm considering getting one of these, and I would probably use a torso length one as well because that would suffice fine in the hammock during the summer months.

Images

Zrest on top of my older ULA circuit with the same single top strap. I will open the pad like shown and strap it down in "pack umbrella mode." Also lowers the profile if your pack is full so you can look behind you. I like having it there, if I stop for a break I can use it as a sit-pad. The hike pictured included 50+mph winds at one point...the pad didn't budge. pic 021 Todd in sleetsm.jpg
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I see there is the one clip on the top of each pack, could the pad slide in there without an issue?

When I want to carry a rolled up 1/4 - 3/8 soft CCF pad for extra insulation I carry it under the center top strap on the ULA CDT. No problem with it staying there however it gets chewed up by snagging on branches just as Miner says happens to him. I have thin soft 1/4 and 3/8 CCF pads that are chewed up from doing this which is why in my thinnest CCF pads I usually fold them in half after rolling them up and then place tightly secured under the strap. I also agree with Miner that if you start doing this with a heavier wt or thicker CCF pad it changes the center of gravity and/or carry. The ULA CDT also has velcro near the top cowling for holding trekking poles that probably are not long enough for holding a large CCF pad and almost certainly not a ZLite 8 section pad but perhaps for a thin(1/4) shorter length rolled up CCF pad. There are also bottom set length loops on the bottom of the pack for holding the other end of the trekking poles that you could possibly rig up to hold a thicker 8 section pad like the Zlite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nar Nar View Post
    I'm considering getting one of these, and I would probably use a torso length one as well because that would suffice fine in the hammock during the summer months.
    This brings up another question as I think Burger was getting at. Since both the GoLite Jam 50 and ULA CDT are both rucksacks what are you going to use inside the pack for suspension? especially if gearing up with two CCF pads? Personally, I think you have to be careful with how you provide suspension and with what pad if going that route because as Chatterbox said more than about 8 sections of ZLite and you've taken away substantially from the interior volume of either the Jam or CDT.

BTW, I have used both packs extensively and felt the ULA CDT was not only slightly less wt but had better features and better load handling ability and comfort. I switched from the Jam 2 50L to the ULA CDT after I got through the Sierras on a PCT thru-hike in 08 and have never looked back. It was a good go to pack move for me. Now, I'm downsizing from the CDT for some 3 season thru-hikes.

One last question Nar Nar: You said you "are looking to upgrade your pack." Can U be more specific( in volume, cost, features, durability, etc)?

Images

i unroll my ccf on the inside of my jam then pack everything inside that tube lined with a trash compactor liner.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    One last question Nar Nar: You said you "are looking to upgrade your pack." Can U be more specific( in volume, cost, features, durability, etc)?
    I'm not going to be carrying two CCF pads, just the Zlite (maybe). I'm switching from a cheapo Amazon pack to a real ultralight pack, along with upgrading the last bit of my gear which has not already been upgraded to UL status.

Journal Entries

THats what the top strap IS FOR.

Don't forget to factor in volume into the UL equation! UL IS NOT just about wt of things. It's also about volume of things. I've seen countless pieces of hiking gear that were UL in wt BUT quite volumous. I think this is especially significant to consider because of the rather limited volume of the two packs you are considering. Personally, it has taken me(as well as IMO most other advanced ULers) time to to evolve into our current UL scenarios. IMO, it's not always advisable or possible to happily instantaneously adapt from a conventional kit down to an extreme UL philosophy. IMO, many factors and things are connected when getting into the more extreme side of UL hiking. I only tell you that so that perhaps you can make fewer errors and questionable choices along the way than I have made like having spent more than a few very uncomfortable even life threatening nights outdoors, purchasing much gear that saw little use, etc.

So I've recently switched from a CCF to an x-lite inflatable pad, making the rest of this post nothing more than philosophizing...

I have a CDT and what I would do is cut off a section of CCF pad the same width as the back of the pack (I'd use the thin foam pad as a template). I would keep this section in the pack body as a frame sheet. This would maximize the internal space of the pack while still giving you some structure. I personally don't like the "tube" approach as that really eats up the capacity of the pack (unless you're using a cut-down CCF already).

I'd then roll up the remainder of your CCF and strap it under the top strap. That strap is clearly enough to keep the pad in place.

Simple and simply stated Mak. There ya go.

Images

I'm a hammock camper with a 50L Golite Jam. I carry a 3/4 length self inflating pad http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...677338.3705268 (actually a little kid pad - but it's big enough for warm weather). I roll it up inside the bag and pack the inside. When it gets cold I carry a full size pad and a tarp instead of the hammock. My winter set-up pushes the limits of the volume of the 50L Jam.

As a hanger myself I would recommemd the following.

1. Ditch the full CCF pad an get a UQ. Down compresses and reduces volume. Get a 3/4 length. After that get a GG nitlite pad which serves as your insulation for your legs and feet, pack frame, and sit pad if you need it. I personally hate surfing on CCF pads in a hammock.

2. If you are going to use a pad vs quilt get a Thermarest xlite woman's version. Its 66 inches long and has a higher rvalue then the mens and is lighter then a regular length. Get a GG nitlite and cut a section off of the three that fold. You can youse that for your legs, pack, and sit pad.

3. If you really wanna go hardcore get a smaller CCF pad Toro length amd use your pack for your legs and feet. When the CDT is empty it works well for your lower kegs just stuffed with items your not wearing like rain gear ext. for additional insulation.

++ New Posts ++