WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Gossamer Gear G4 Backpack... thoughts?

Hey guys, does anyone have the G4? It looks really good as far as weight, price, and size goes. However, the one concern I have with it is that it doesn't have pockets on the side for water bottles that are accessible without having to remove the pack. Has anyone gotten around this? What other methods (besides platypus) do people use? Thanks guys.

I have a G4 I used on the Colordo Trail. Base weight 15 lbs. I use a 2 liter platy with hose, in outside pocket. A one liter platy with gatorade on the opposite side for when I stop about every two hours. I love the pockets, but have had to add a 1/4 inch bent aluminum frame and my old Kelty hip belt, along with round pipe insulation in the shoulder straps to pull them away from my neck. With loads going over 20 lbs., easy to do with food and water, just was not comfortable. The bottom also is so far below belt it rides on your butt, a source of irritation especially in warm weather. If you want accessable bottle water, try carry loop on you shoulder straps similar to ULA's setup.

I had the same question. I prefer to use bottles over Camelbak-style hoses. Maybe they would make a custom one with a short pocket on the right (or left) hand side?

I made one: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...My-DIY-G4-pack

Works great. I have just enough flexability to pull a water bottle out of the side pockets with the pack on. I use platypus soft bottles. I do have a long torso, but the pockets aren't too hard to reach either.

Images

I love my g4! And there you have it, seriously though, keep your base weight low and balance your weighty items such as food more towards the middle of the pack and it carries like a dream. I did however put small compression straps on the shoulder strap to carry a water bottle, I only carry one quart bottle and no bladder. I don't like to carry to much weight. I just finished the 100 mile wilderness this Sept and all said with food for 5 days I came in at 18lbs. The one key with the g4 is It's not like an osprey pack with the thick padding everywhere you really need to cut down your weight, and the lighter I am the more miles I do. But you find what's comfy for you, happy trails..

I did a write up on my blog about my G4 pack. I was my first 'ultralight' pack. I had a 4 pound Sierra Designs pack that I was using and wanted something different. Here's the link: http://geartoons.wordpress.com/2014/...-gear-g4-pack/
    It's also got cartoons.
    g4-TOON.jpg

Has anyone tried these Botspot water bottle holders? Only 1oz. They're out of stock now but it may be worthwhile to email the seller regarding restocking. (disclosure: I have nothing to do with Simblissity or Botspot)

http://www.simblissity.net/botspot.htm

++ New Posts ++