WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    As is usual, even among nutritional experts, scientists, and MDs, no less the general public, it's so easy to take things out or context, go off on tangents, and over simplify nutrition and health. And, discussing it has become like TRYING to discuss politics or religion. What were we talking about again? I had to go back to PF's original post to find out. Oh yeah, saturated fat NOT ALWAYS being the huge enemy that some have made it out to be.
    In my industry we have an expression "Fat is Flavor"

IIRC it was the AgriIndustry which helped push the meat-is-bad philosophy in order to increase the demand for their soy-protein which was a byproduct from the oil manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    In my industry we have an expression "Fat is Flavor"
    "Grease is good" if I may paraphrase.

Journal Entries

Man made food products and fats, are far worse for you than natural ones ever were.

Your government, bought and paid for by agri-business , is largely responsible for the horrible health state of much of america.

Quote Originally Posted by googlywoogly View Post
    I posted this on another thread, but it is worth repeating in this one. The video on the link below is worth an hour and 3 minutes of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-tnVZtPgU

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic

David Diamond, Ph.D., of the University of South Florida College of Arts and Sciences shares his personal story about his battle with obesity. Diamond shows how he lost weight and reduced his triglycerides by eating red meat, eggs and butter.
    I watched this when you posted before and was having trouble finding it again. Thanks for reposting. I found this to be an excellent lecture. I will bookmark this time.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post

There is no need to eat any meat for health purposes.

Procuring Venison keeps me active and gets me in the woods for several weeks a year, try lugging a 200lb deer through the woods and then try to deny that it's good for your health, I lost several pounds thanks to all the activity last deer season. Raising my own chickens used to keep me just as busy and if I'm lucky I will be doing it again once I finally give up the lake life and get a bigger property,
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Man made food products and fats, are far worse for you than natural ones ever were.

Your government, bought and paid for by agri-business , is largely responsible for the horrible health state of much of america.
    I don't like conspiracy theories...and I especially hate it when they're completely true!

We keep telling each other over and over and over again. You're doing it wrong. Nobody seems to listen.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I don't like conspiracy theories...and I especially hate it when they're completely true!
    Con Agra and ADM paid everyone off.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've significantly improved my health (according to several objective surrogate measures) by following the rule, "if you hike all day, you can eat what you damned well please." That is my one-line summary about food for health.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I've significantly improved my health (according to several objective surrogate measures) by following the rule, "if you hike all day, you can eat what you damned well please." That is my one-line summary about food for health.
    Tee hee
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Personally i'm a fan of Michael Pollan's summary advice: "Eat [real] food, not too much, mostly plants."

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Personally i'm a fan of Michael Pollan's summary advice: "Eat [real] food, not too much, mostly plants."
    Me too, unless I'm building muscle mass. Then I eat real meat a bit more (still mostly plants).
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Me too, unless I'm building muscle mass. Then I eat real meat a bit more (still mostly plants).
    I'm trying to make venison my staple meat. (I dont eat much meat to begin with) It's Lean, i know where it comes from and do all the butchering myself and it absolutely blows away all those expensively marketed pastured/grass fed meats in the store.

Plus like you alluded to, it's just plants with one degree of separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I retract my claim....it is doable, but I still believe we are omnivores, so we are evolved to eat all types of food.
    I agree. I know we can get all of our protein from plant matter, that doesn't mean I would want to :-)
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Yes we are omnivores, because in nature we cannot get everything we need just on a plant diet. Vegans can do their diets today because of society and the availability of various plants by just going to the grocery store. Those plants are not even "natural", they've all been bred and most of them cannot live in a natural setting; in other words you don't have to worry about tomato plants (or any other cultivated crop) becoming invasive in the natural world. They are much like many of our pets; they are totally dependent on us.

If society were to fall apart everyone would need to eat some crazy stuff, including meats from animals we would not normally consider eating in order to survive. And insects would be on the menu.
    Fried crickets taste kind of like sunflower seeds.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I'm trying to make venison my staple meat. (I dont eat much meat to begin with) It's Lean, i know where it comes from and do all the butchering myself and it absolutely blows away all those expensively marketed pastured/grass fed meats in the store.

Plus like you alluded to, it's just plants with one degree of separation.
    My red meat meals come from bison available at my local coop.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    My red meat meals come from bison available at my local coop.
    That's a bit much for me, it's hard enough dragging a deer out of the woods.

Oddly enough i was actually a vegetarian for a while. When i started eating meat again i got into hunting because I wanted to have control of where my meat came from and how they were killed. (I'm confident in claiming that the deer i shoot live a better life and are killed more humanely than animals on a CAFO). I also agree that the meat wild animals ( or animals that are raised on small farms) is healthier than what I can buy in the store.

WHEWWWW, max warp drive thread drift as is typical with the topic. Another similar textbook example of what happens when you get a bunch of individuals to pass along information unbeknownst to each other and how the story and info changes as it's passsed on to one another. The sky is blue story eventually can become the ball is red.

Quote Originally Posted by googlywoogly View Post
    I posted this on another thread, but it is worth repeating in this one. The video on the link below is worth an hour and 3 minutes of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-tnVZtPgU

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic

David Diamond, Ph.D., of the University of South Florida College of Arts and Sciences shares his personal story about his battle with obesity. Diamond shows how he lost weight and reduced his triglycerides by eating red meat, eggs and butter.
    Thanks for posting this. Another one that blows up the party line and has great entertainment value is Science for Smart People.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++