WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    <sigh> Sorry - have to put my two cents in.

Are you really going to support a Chi-com company that has pirated a legitimate copyright? If the same company came out with a $50 knockoff of a LightHeart Gear tent or a Henry Shires' tarptent, would you buy it?

I think you probably mean patent, but I too would be interested in which patent you believe was violated.

Wanted to give an update on this Chinese stove now that I've finished off the first canister. I boiled some water with it as soon as I got it to test it out...didn't time it but it was pretty fast. The first time I used it on the trail I used it to deep fry so it burned for a very long time...I brought some mozzarella cheese sticks (the string cheese) , cut them into cubes, wrapped them in biscuit dough and then wrapped a half slice of bacon around them and fried them. The next few times I used it I was canoe camping and set the stove on the ground between two logs and balanced a cast iron skillet on them...I did this on about 5 or 6 trips and fried fish at night and then cooked bacon and eggs in the morning. So I've mostly used this for longer cooking projects that burned a lot of fuel.

The igniter on this thing acts like the one on your BBQ grill...it will work, eventually...so I usually just use a lighter. Other than that I've had no problems with it. If all I were doing were boiling water twice a day I'd bet I could get about 3 weeks out of a canister.

I haven't used other canister stoves, so I have nothing to compare it to, but for the price I like what this stove can do and have trusted it enough to take it on 2 day trips.

Has anybody else put more mileage on this stove than I have and have anything else to report?

Images

Well I used mine for more than 200 burns over several months without issue and I would buy one again if I need to. I have tested it, backpacked it, kayaked it, bear bagged and droped it from great height and tried to drown it in the rain and the hunk of junk just keeps burning. See I like my coffee in the AM, hot dinner every night and more coffee at the end of the day, so I need a good stove and I like a bargain so Bingo I call it a winner IMHO YMMV Yadda, Yadda.

I like my I giga power, but if I had it to do over again I would spend 1/10 the price on amazon for this one.
    Good find.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I've had one of these for the last 4 or 5 years, hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, fire right up every time, the output on this thing is ridiculous, you could use it to take off in a hot air balloon haha the only complaint I've ever had about it is the the supports for the pot are a little flimsy, but that's to be expected on something so cheap

Journal Entries

Ordered one, it's a pretty long shipping time, but I guess it's actually a shipment that is coming by ship, can't wait till my little foreign exchange stove gets here, and really needed something other then just the jetboil stove.

Quote Originally Posted by TNfire View Post
    I've had one of these for the last 4 or 5 years, hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, fire right up every time, the output on this thing is ridiculous, you could use it to take off in a hot air balloon haha the only complaint I've ever had about it is the the supports for the pot are a little flimsy, but that's to be expected on something so cheap
    That's why I used two logs to balance my cast iron skillet...I've also dug a trench in the sand and set the stove in the hole so the skillet is sitting on the ground with the stove in the hole underneath it...if you don't get it exactly in the middle its going to teter over, and even if you do get it perfectly balanced it is still very top heavy...though this is not as much of an issue if you're just boiling 2 cups of water in a small pot.

Just bought one for $5.73. What canister does it use?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I use MSR Isopro canisters

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    That's why I used two logs to balance my cast iron skillet...I've also dug a trench in the sand and set the stove in the hole so the skillet is sitting on the ground with the stove in the hole underneath it...if you don't get it exactly in the middle its going to teter over, and even if you do get it perfectly balanced it is still very top heavy...though this is not as much of an issue if you're just boiling 2 cups of water in a small pot.
    Yeah, i usually just use my dualist pot with it so I mean it's not too terribly bad, I could see some stability issues with a larger pan, such as yours, good thinking digging a hole for it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Any Lindal valve-type canister sold in many places. .(in other words, anything other than the green propane canister! )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    \
    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Butane...SOPRO+CANISTER

They sell these at Walmart, but there are several different brands...if it looks the same size and shape as this, its probably going to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    \
    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Butane...SOPRO+CANISTER

They sell these at Walmart, but there are several different brands...if it looks the same size and shape as this, its probably going to fit.
    $10.19 per canister & $6.17 to ship via Amazon!

Guess I'll be going to WallyWorld...$15.99

Let's try EBay...

Any other sources for this type of canister?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Right... you can just go to the local Walmart and buy it off the shelf for about $4.99 at least that is what I just paid for a cannister.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Try Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, etc... basically any outdoorsy store will have canisters near the stoves. Brands include MSR and SnowPeak. I get the small canisters for about 5 bucks, large run around $7 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Right... you can just go to the local Walmart and buy it off the shelf for about $4.99 at least that is what I just paid for a cannister.
    The WalMart, and other prices, were for online purchases. Guess I'll be using a "brick & mortar" source!

(May the Great Zelph and all of the other alcohol stove fanatics forgive me for my lapse into using a canister stove!!!)

Images

Because of particular DoT shipping regulations many companies such as REI just won't bother to ship them or as in the case of my search of the Walmart website the fuel canisters are in store purchase only. Those that do ship will charge a higher shipping rate to be able to ship according to the DoT regs which is ground shipping only. I'm at work and can't link to the actual regs. Someone here can.

Either way they are only available in store.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    Unfortunately, none of these companies make gas canister stoves.

Images

Have used this little stove couple dozen times with no problems, except, removed the piezo with a pair of pliers as it never worked. Hey, had to give it a try for 6 bucks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++