WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default North face thermoball vs Patagonia down sweater

I am torn between the north face thermoball and the Patagonia down sweater and was hoping some of you guys may have some advice or personal experiences to offer. The thermoball is about half an ounce heavier then the down sweater. The thermoball has synthetic fill while the down sweater has 800 fill goose down. Anyways any advice or personal experience about these jackets would be greatly appreciated.
    http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...n-sweater-mens

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...ed-jacket-mens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just figured I'd confuse you some more and throw in the montbell ex light down. I love mine.

Thanks for the article, it provided a lot of useful information. I think the down sweater would better fit for me since it's warmer for its weight. The jacket would be my outer shell for my thru hike this coming feburary so I'll need the warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Just figured I'd confuse you some more and throw in the montbell ex light down. I love mine.
    That jacket looks very impressive. It is definitely the warmest jacket for that weight that I have seen for under $200. I'll have to think about if the lack of pockets is a deal breaker or not.

The problem with all these super lightweight coats is that the shell fabric is too thin. They wear out very quickly from abrasion and tear like paper. I'd recommend something tougher if you want it to last into Maine (it gets really cold there at night in September).

Not sure how many ozs of down are in the Patagonia Sweater but I would guess maybe 2-3. I just picked up a Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp..._cd=1&fo_flg=1) on sale for $120 (sky gray) which is 4.7 oz of 800 fill down. It will be a lot tougher and warmer but for a small weight penalty (~16 oz vs 12 oz). I had it down to about 30 this past weekend with a T shirt under it (by a fire) and I was plenty warm. Never thru hiked but something like this might (is probably but again I am a section hiker) be well worth it for a February start. Just a thought...

++ New Posts ++