WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First night in my hammock

I have a eno just used it last night for the first time. I love it I slept 13 hours!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

AT 2012

got another one. good.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I have a eno just used it last night for the first time. I love it I slept 13 hours!

My first 20 nights were great. Then it got cold.

Images

love mine too. stupid simple to hang... and take down.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

it's the only way to camp out-
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    My first 20 nights were great. Then it got cold.
    The problems of learning to hammock through the summer! Waiting for CT weather to turn a bit colder to see how low I can go with my insulation.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I haven't been in a tent since my first night in a hammock two years ago. Cold is a challenge, but it can be overcome easily and cheaply.

I recommend visiting HammockForums.Net for help.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Switched to hammocks in early summer & will never look back! I've had the best rest in the bush that I've had in years.....and better than pricy indoor beds, too! I've been sleeping in mine for about 90% of the nights since. Various conditions.....hot (80+F), cold (down to 18F so far), muggy, wet, buggy, windy, uneven ground, swamp land, over a stream, side of a rock ledge, you name it & a hammock will work. My Hennessy Hex tarp is with 2QZQ in Lititz, Pa. right now getting doors added to both ends. Looking forward to the real cold, sleet, blowing snows, etc. that occur here in the winter months........ala Shug! My Hennessy Explorer (I have a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro, too) can also work as a ground shelter/bivy if absolutely necessary (hope it never occurs). My stepson just moved to Vail, Co. a couple of weeks ago for ski resort work, so I gave most of my tenting gear to him for use during & after the drive out there. Since my body is getting much older (56) than my brain (26) wants to acknowledge, I think hammocks rock!!! Just be sure to do your homework at Hammock Forums before buying one. Unlike some other things in life......with hammocks, size (and materials) matters!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

I have an ENO and several other cheap hammocks but I've never slept in one over night. I'm going to try sleeping in one soon!

You better get rid of that thing....you'll never get anywhere sleeping 13 hours.

Hammocks are def growing in popularity. I was on Cumberland Island GA) a couple of weekends ago, and of a group of 40 scouts there were around 10 hammocks. I've had a hammock for a less than 2 years - will never sleep on the ground again. Hammocks provide a superior night's sleep.

another hammock hanger...love it!!

I'm been a loyal hanger myself for years and I have 4 season set ups. But recently I've found I enjoy sleeping more in shelters for the social aspect of things and the simplicity of setting things up and packing back up especially during bad weather.

I think ive hit the benchmark in doing everything I can to get my hammock gear weights down and no matter how much I try I can't come close to my bivy and tarp set up. I enjoy a good nights sleep but I enjoy even more the reduced weight on my back and knees when I'm hiking 30+ miles a day especially during the winter months especially since I spend more time on my feet than doing anything else. If I was passed out for 13 hours a night on the trail that might be a different story. I may be giving up on hanging for awhile. Sorry guys you may have lost one :P

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Me too, shonru.
    I've tried all the light weight combos. Of tents and hammocks for hiking.
    I usually stay in shelters for the social aspect. This year I will carry a tarp and bivy for the few times things don't work out for shelter availability.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

It's a glitch, no one should ever be that comfortable when backpacking.

Staying dry is much easier with a tarp only. Off the ground is a huge plus in wet conditions, however, staying warm is the biggest challenge. UQ and TQ combo is the best technique for me.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

I have 3 hammocks, a blackbird made by warbonnet and love it. It comes with a built in shelf to store gear and of course noseum netting. I also have a grand trunk nano that is super ultra light, I made a DIY suspension system. My third hammock is a pauley's island travel hammock I purchased at wal-mart, it was my first hammock. I did a DIY suspension system with this one. It's not as light as the grand trunk but it's much bigger, not as heavy as my blackbird but it's just a hammock only. I have two tarps. A silnilon huge tarp I purchased from warbonnet, silnilon is ridiculously light weight and water proof. I also have an enu pro rain fly which is heavier and smaller than my silnilon tarp. I also have a bug met I purchased from war bonnet I use with either the grand trunk nano or the pawley's Island. Insulation is your biggest trick.

Most hammock users system is lighter than anyone else except the tarp only guys. A silnilon tarp and foam pad is tough to beat however I would put up a down top quilt up against any sleeping bag as far as warmth to weight ratio.

I'm heading down to Cumberland Island GA in two weeks with my girlfriend, going to try out a new hanging style where we both hang side by side on the same trees under the same tarps.
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

I would also suggest setting up your camp at shelters if you're hiking the AT, it's great for socializing with everyone and when you're ready for bed you have privacy, the mice leave you alone as well. Also most shelters have water sources near by and privys which is always nice.

I usually try to plan my daily end point at a shelter or a nice summit, few things top sleeping in your hammock tarp free on a summit with views, the sunsets and sunrises are why we all love hiking.
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

I was just paddeling down the peace river. Drank a little too much rum, I don't usually sleep 13 hours. I'm doing an overnight tomorrow can't wait. I haven't had a problem with cold because I avoid it. I go to the trail in may. I'm sure I could get down to 20 with my system.

Hammocks are the bees knees when it comes to comfort. PLUS you get to play around with Underquilts and fancy dutchware! DOUBLE WIN!!!
    Using Tapatalk

I have a Dream Hammock Darien UL Long claimed to be the lightest hammock on the market with built in bug neting. Total weight including dynaglide whoopie suspension and Dutch TI hooks in its cuban stuff sack sack weights 13.2oz. Hammock Gear custom cuban fly from Adam weights 5.5oz. Total weight 18.7os or 1lbs 2.7oz It would be lighter if I wasn't 6'2.

UQ quilts
    2 Season quilt - HG Phoenix Argon 3/4 UQ 11.2oz
    Winter quilt - HG Phoenix Argon 3/4 UQ 16.3os

TQ
    3 Season quilt - HG Burro Argon Long/ Wide 16.1oz
    Winter quilt - HG Burro Argon Long/ Wide 22.1oz

Even with these low weights I still manage to shave off almost a pound using my tarp and bivy combo while using a woman's neoair xlite which I consider to be a luxery item lol. For those who didnt know the women's version is 66 inches but has a higher r value. 12oz for a 66 inch pad with a 3.9 r value isnt to bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++