WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hostels in Ga

Default Hostels in Ga

Hello:
    Planning a section hike for the coming spring for the whole state of Georgia. Having never hiked the AT in Georgia, just wanted to get some advice on the hostels along the trail. I have plans to make it to Gooch gap on day 1 and stay at Wolfpen Gap cabins. Then get to Neels gap and stay at Goose Creek Cabins. My question is how easy is it to get to these hostels from the trail, are there shuttles and what are the conditions of these places? Also plan to hitch into hiawassee and would like some recommendations on places to stay there. Trying to stay where there are some beds because of aging shoulders and backs. We do realize we will have to sleep in a shelter a few nights but would enjoy a shower and a comfortable bed a few nights. BTW I'm not set on those hostels and I realize we are hiking at a busy time so ANY advice is welcome.

You can actually slackpack all of Georgia if you are willing to spend the money.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/slackpack.php

I have never been to Wolfpen Gap Cabins or Goose Creek Cabins so I can't comment on them.

You need to get a Companion.

Wolfpen will shuttle you from Woody Gap. I don't know about from Gooch. Hiker Hostel will shuttle you from Woody or Gooch. If you are going to go during thruhiker season you should make your reservations with Hiker Hostel as soon as you know your date. I really can't tell you anything else about Wolfpen.

I'm pretty sure Goose Creek Cabins is closed but at Neel gap there's a hostel and Blood Mnt Cabins. If you get further on there's also inexpensive accomodations in Helen and Hiawassee which IMO would be better (and cheaper) than spending half your time in a vehicle slackpacking.

El Sordo
    Images

Goose Creek is definitely closed. The property is for sale if anyone is interested. Pretty run down. Helen is accessible from Unicoi Gap and has bars. Hiawassee is Accessible from Unicoi Gap and Dicks Creek Gap and has inexpensive accomodations and better grocery shopping. Wolf Pen Hostel has picked up at Gooch Gap.
    Dyslexics Untie!

El Sordo
    Images

Oh, and for what it's worth, you can slackpack from Springer to Fontana. All you need is a light pack and a heavy wallet which will grow progressively lighter.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Section Hiker

+1 for Hiker Hostel. Breakfast is included in your $18 a night and is phenomenal! Beautiful, clean, comfortable place.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I can tell the slack pack is not the preferred way to go.....not looking to spend a lot of money.....just have limited time and don't want to come home crippled from sleeping on the ground.....thanks for all the info.....sounds like you can make a reservation at the hiker hostel ahead of time? What's the accessibility from unicoi? Shuttle?

El Sordo
    Images

to hiker hostel from Unicoi is a shuttle. an expensive shuttle. better to take the free shuttle into town and try to share a room with another hiker in the motel.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Another hostel in Georgia that hasn't been mentioned is Blueberry Patch Hostel. It is a short distance from Dick's Creek Gap. You can call Gary for a pickup. He also does a run into Hiawasee at least once a day. And the breakfasts are great. Stayed with them 2 nights this past April.
    Trillium

In Neel's Gap there are cabins an 1/8 mile down the hill. They are very nice. If you're going with others or can hook up with 3 others, they are very reasonable since they have a hiker rate which includes doing your laundry for you.
    Trillium

Get yourself a decent sleeping bag and pad and there's no problem sleeping on the ground in a tent preferably. (it's infinitely better than sleeping in a shelter)

Depending on your age (and the age your bones feel), you could sleep somewhat comfortably on a good pad with a good sleeping bag in a tent. You might try it. Also depending on your age and your bones, you might not be able to hike far enough to get a shuttle out at times, which would force you to sleep in a bag on the ground or in the shelter. Given the circumstances, I would recommend a really good bag and pad for insurance.

All of the shuttles I've taken in GA have been excellent, and the hostels also. Sally and Joyce are great too, and haven't been mentioned. They are located in Hiawassee, and shuttle pretty much all of GA I think. They're on time and reliable. I relied on the HH for much of the start of the trail, and Sally and Joyce for the portion closer to NC.

If you want the HH, decide on your dates and make reservations early. You won't be disappointed in accomodations or food. Food being the operative word here - think BIG breakfast. ;-) If they can't put you up, they will at least take you into town to stay at another place.

Definitely go to blueberry patch. One of the best on entire trail

From what I read the Blueberry Patch is only open for early thru hiker season and closes by May 1. We will be hiking after that. Any info on the Hiawasse Inn or maybe now its the Budget Inn in Hiawassee? One other question: Is it a good plan to stay at the Hiker Hostel the night before we leave and have them shuttle us to Springer? Just don't know if I am able to leave my vehicle at the Hiker Hostel for 4-5 days? Also will need a shuttle back there from Blue Ridge Gap after. I have emailed the Hiker Hostel to ask their opinion as well.

Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee is hiker friendly, clean, reasonable rate, laundry, breakfast. Save-a-lot store next door for resupply and Daniels Steak House AYCE is also next door, they are hiker friendly too. Joyce and Sally were my choice for a shuttle and did not disappoint, great service and great conversation. Holiday Inn Express staff has their contact info also.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Neels Gap, Mountain Crossings, now with new actual hiker owners, is now Clean, Dry and Warm. Much improved.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

THRU hikers that is...
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Elder, Who bought Mtn. Crossings?

Georganna Morton and Logan Seamon are the new owners of Mountain Crossings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++