WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 1 pound shelter under $200?

I've got a LHG Solong6 that I love. Easy to setup, roomy for me and adequate for me and my son. But I think I'd like to have a minimalist shelter for fast and light solo trips. Budget is no more than $200. Bearpaw Lair looks nice. Or a smallish flat tarp and bivy, or just get a 8x10 silnylon for the versatility. Would love a hexamid tarp but with the extended beak it's over my budget. Oh so light and simple.

I just got a 5.5 x 9 tarp from Borah Gear and planning on spplementing with a bivy. Total cost around $135 and weighs roughly 15 oz.

If you are OK with a tarp and bivy, Borah Gear is the way to go.

Images

I chose to make a cuben version of the MLD Solomid to meet almost an identical set of needs that you listed.

Will I regret no getting something in cuben? Any downsides other than price? Malto, any details on your mid? I am worried about condensation with a bivy here in the southeast.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    Will I regret no getting something in cuben? Any downsides other than price? Malto, any details on your mid? I am worried about condensation with a bivy here in the southeast.
    Pit is very close to a Solomid except I did a 60/40 peak vs. the peak being in the center on the mid (50/50) Here's a picture with the bug inner installed. The shelter and inner are each about 9oz. It was made with .74 cuben
    image.jpg

Ps. I made this after spending a miserable night with both heat and bugs. This is the Achilles heal of bivies.

Would a shaped tarp like that, or a hexamid, solomid, etc provide enough coverage without using a bivy? I love my so long, and the MLD little star seems to almost the same shape minus the floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    That looks an awful lot like my Gossamer Gear The One, though a lot lighter. I think the general layout of such a tarp tent is genius and am glad to see the idea promoted.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Pit is very close to a Solomid except I did a 60/40 peak vs. the peak being in the center on the mid (50/50) Here's a picture with the bug inner installed. The shelter and inner are each about 9oz. It was made with .74 cuben
    image.jpg

Ps. I made this after spending a miserable night with both heat and bugs. This is the Achilles heal of bivies.
    Did you sew or use tape? Where did you get your pattern? I'm kind of jealous.

I have an LHG Solong 6 as well and I love it as well. If I were going to go minimalist solo for<$200, I think I would try to pick up a used Tarptent Notch - light, easy to set up and you can pitch the rainfly by itself when you don't have to worry about mosquitoes/gnats.

Journal Entries

image.jpg

Just to mention one thing I liked about the Heximid is set it up then decide which way I was going to sleep, it is not always so cut and dry.

The other thing is with the Heximid I had 'just enough' room from head to toe, if I set it up a bit off I didn't have enough room, but made do. Is there a length penalty to 60/40?

It does seem your beak is superior to the Heximid offering, giving more protection against rain.

Journal Entries
    Images

Try a tarp from Wal-mart.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I just got a 5.5 x 9 tarp from Borah Gear and planning on spplementing with a bivy. Total cost around $135 and weighs roughly 15 oz.
    I got a 6.5' x 10' tarp from BearPaw and a side zipper bivy from Borah Gear at 12oz and ~7 oz., respectively., for $175. The system kept me perfectly dry in rain.

Gatewood Cape
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I haven't tried it but I've been looking into the six moon designs wild oasis. They have them on sale right now until the end of the year for $140 and weight is 13oz.

Images

Just saw the replies....

this was my own design. I basically did all the math in excel, pretty straightforward.

Yes there is a theoretically weight penalty for a 60/40 vs 50/50 but I don't think there is in reality. Having the steeper angle at the head is more important than at the foot. I also wanted the height to be as low as possible. I can sit up but there is no additional head room. This was important more from a storm worthiness vs the weight.

Images

I use a hexamid tarp or a Borah gear Borahgami tarp. Just depends on the hike. The Borahgami when set up in the a frame position, doesn't need a Bivy. So when using this tarp I don't take the Bivy. If I need it in storm mode, no problem. The hexamid tarp with Bivy weights almost as much as the Borah gear tarp. And I have Alot more room under the Borahgami.

I have found that it is a better use of weight to go for a larger tarp and skip the bivy. More room inside for your stuff and you can use your outerwear (jacket, etc) as a half bivy or groundsheet is necessary. A flat tarp can be set up to be dry in pretty much any conditions and then you can have a view and airflow when it suits.

Images

You canget a Tarp Tent Contrail for $200, 28 oz total with stakes and tie outs. Best tent for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

++ New Posts ++