WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    But Mountain Momas never tried to be SBF, or anything other than it was. A unique Kuntry Store in rural east Tennessee.
    Maybe they decided to close when they discovered that they were actually in North Carolina!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Clearly you never stayed at Mountain Momas or your list would have been much shorter. Other than the internet you could get all that at Mountain Moma's you just had to know how to ask. Yet again someone bad mouthing a service on the AT they know nothing about.
    The atmosphere at Mt. Momma's was about as variable as the weather. And that, no doubt, accounts for the wide disparity of opinions about the place. I visited the place on a number of occasions. The first several visits were reasonably satisfactory, considering the place was not a five star resort, nor was it trying to be. In the last couple of years, however, the attitude changed. "Service with an attitude" was replaced by almost complete indifference. There was a time when you had to know how to ask. That changed.

If you were there on a cold and wet day, would you argue with some one who said Mt. Momma's was a hot and dusty place? Surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Or, just one more thread being taken down by males more interested in spraying testosterone than anything else. Happens all too often on WhiteBlaze. Threads ruined and poisoned by unnecessary displays of male egos that mistake brawn for brain and seem itching for a fight to prove it.

Rain Man

Ruined? Poisoned? I think you're on the wrong site. You may want the hearts and flowers network or you could buy some testosterone. I happen to like defending the places that have provided service and color to the trail for a very long time. MacDonald's provides fake smiles and food to the public, seems that's what people want, well you want it you got it. Again, you want bland boring posts go somewhere else.

Default Mt Mama's sign

Was it, "Me um now um what um you um want um?"
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jgt/smokeys/index.html

That's the best shot of the sign I could find.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Default My Two Cents

I have made it to Mountain Moma's the last three years while doing loop trails out of the Big Creek area. The cheeseburgers were awesome and she was always nice to us when we dropped in. The first time we got down to Big Creek late and all the sites were full. It is a long and winding drive over to the Cosby campground. The owner of Mountain Moma's was nice enough to let us pitch our tent in her front yard for a small fee with only one restriction. She did not allow alcohol on her premises. She had some problems in the past and even though we had a cooler with beer, I had no problems respecting the ladies wishes. I remember one time we were eating and she came over and sat at our table and played cards with her daughter. Some people might have thought it kind of rude but life is too short to fret over such trivial matters. We actually spent a few hours talking to her and enjoyed our visits to her establishment. I hope the new owners reopen the place but who knows. This year we are doing a loop trail out of Elkmont, so we will miss Mountain Momas. I remember her telling me that a tall thru hiker atr 4 cheeseburgers and 3 plates of fries---UNBELIEVABLE !! I was full on one serving of each.

Life is so much sweeter when the glass is half full!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner50 View Post
    Life is so much sweeter when the glass is half full!
    Depends on what the glass is half full of.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Yeah, but if your glass is half full, and they make you look at the sign to determine the price of the fries...

C'mon Jester. That was pretty lame. I'd be willing to bet your friend didn't register his disgust by walking out and leaving the fries sitting on the counter. Did he?

Default Get Over It!

Let's be blunt. I know there's all this "Don't speak ill of the dead" and all that. But get real. The place wasn't all that. It really wasn't. These people had a reputation, of many years, that was very clear: They were allegedly interested in helping hikers until their walllets were sucked inside out and to the point of death, and then held out to dry, and then they wrere remarkably uninterested in your trip.

These were not people into the hiking community...at least not when the banks were closed.

They really won't be missed.

Images

that was a jack post, the dude/bfitz wants everyone to know that jack has been using the dude/bfitz account to post. you should be able to tell from the language of jack.
    lol
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Let's be blunt.............they wrere remarkably uninterested in your trip.
    They really won't be missed.
    That is EXACTLY why they will be missed. Because they are infamous that is why it was an interesting place to stay. Like Rusty's, you just never knew what you were going to walk into. The trail can be an adventure. If you only stay at first class hotels, you'll get service and people kissing your ass, but you can get that in a car. Colorful places like Mountain Mamma's are rare and clearly a gift you never appreciated. A great many of us did.

Hiked into Mountain Mama's from Davenport Gap Shelter on my thru last year and had a fantastic cheeseburger breakfast. Pulled my resupply for Hot Springs and Mountain Momma gave us a ride back to the trail head. Very friendly people and no complaints about the service. Sorry to hear its gone!

"Feed the Mountain"

AMEN, Blue Jay!!!! Their place was also the only close establishment for hikers using the Big Creek area. She was a religious proprieter and maybe a bit thin skinned. I guess my only negative memory(other than asking where you could buy beer ) was when we tore down our tent from the area she told us we could set up, we noticed the entire area was like a huge kitty litter box . I just chalked it up as a lesson learned and enjoyed the rest of my time there. She even offered us towels and the use of their showers even though we just wanted a place to camp for the night before our hike out of Big Creek. It wasn't on the agenda but the hot shower and big breakfast in the morning before we set out gave me that warm fuzzy feeling and set the tone for a great hiking experience. Mountain Moma's WILL be missed by many.

If you only stay at first class hotels, you'll get service and people kissing your ass, but you can get that in a car.
    I can get someone to kiss my ass in a car? Do I have to buy them a drive-thru dinner first?

www.hikersupply.com

Honestly, if you missed this place, just picture eating a Mcdonalds Cheese Burger in the middle of a school house turned automobile junk yard.

They should sell the place and let some one clean it up and re-open.

www.hikersupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twofiddy View Post
    Honestly, if you missed this place, just picture eating a Mcdonalds Cheese Burger in the middle of a school house turned automobile junk yard.

They should sell the place and let some one clean it up and re-open.
    Dont get me wrong they were great people and all, but the place was a junk yard!! Reminded me of being in West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Twofiddy View Post
    Dont get me wrong they were great people and all, but the place was a junk yard!! Reminded me of being in West Virginia.
    I'm counting on all of my fingers and toes who you managed to insult with that one. They were characters and managed to do a lot with a surplus school building. They were definitely not Elmer, but they weren't as negative as the Crossmans either. They provided a service around the year. They had good resupply and always had the makings of another great trail tale. Sure, there was junk but some of that junk was antique. I've seen much worse beds (Back Door Bar in NJ comes to mind with shelving as bunks).

The closing of Mtn Mamma's was simply the closing of one era with many more to follow. I certainly enjoyed my stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    I'm counting on all of my fingers and toes who you managed to insult with that one. . .
    Everyone in West Virginia?

Nah, the western Carolinians who couldn't get a date at their family reunion.

Default closing of an era

The closing of Mtn Mamma's was simply the closing of one era with many more to follow. I certainly enjoyed my stay there.[/QUOTE]

Used to be you could tell an old timer by hearing him/her talk about having met the "Queen of England;" eventually other old timers will be heard talking about having stayed at Mountain Moma's

Images

Looks like llama trekkers have taken over or were they always there?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++