WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Serious question: Exactly how many different distinct issues particular only to those hikers under 21 years old are there? It's not like gear, itinerary, or the mechanics of hiking are any different.
    Sorry outward but even as a 16 year old i have to agree with this.

For any number of reasons, I 'd have to say this is not a good idea, at least not here at WB, where the moderators and site administrators have enough worries, without adding liability issues to the mix.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with younger hikers getting together elsewhere to talk, perhaps on facebook or somewhere similar.

Images

Just so ya all know, I'm not trying to completely knock the idea as I understand why younger hikers would want to talk amomst themselves. But I'm also trying to think outloud on some of the negative aspects of this idea as well, as there are also some pretty good reasons for NOT doing it--as have been brought up in several posts here.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

if it doesnt make sense to an old fart it prolly doesnt make sense. WB is an excellent site as is!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    For any number of reasons, I 'd have to say this is not a good idea, at least not here at WB, where the moderators and site administrators have enough worries, without adding liability issues to the mix.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with younger hikers getting together elsewhere to talk, perhaps on facebook or somewhere similar.

Yes

I also agree with Red Hat- you do have to be careful of predators out there - there are slimes amuck. Hate to think there are ones like that lurking on WB, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Meanwhile have fun here and don't take take things personally. If you really want to thru hike the AT, you'll have a better chance of succeeding by listening to the advice of those who have been there (even if they are a bit older and nastier). And look elsewhere for that age-related fellowship which I know is important. Maybe find out here who would like a forum and seek advice on where you can go to chat.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'm older but I see why college and high school aged people would want a forum to discuss things among themselves.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    I'm older but I see why college and high school aged people would want a forum to discuss things among themselves.
    Agree, so start a thread...
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

ok i understand that there is a problem with predators. but i think thats its just as easy to find a younger age kid on the regular forums. I know there are programs that allow you to anomonize your location as well as anything else out here. im goign to put this onto a poll and see what you guys say yes or no. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46632

Linesman. wouldnt you think that it would be nice to converse with people at the same age group. I understand we would talk about the same thing but it would be different becuase You can relate to what the other teens are saying

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by streakerofAT View Post
    Linesman. wouldnt you think that it would be nice to converse with people at the same age group. I understand we would talk about the same thing but it would be different becuase You can relate to what the other teens are saying
    I agree

Images

I'm not sure why you'd need a new forum on Whiteblaze to talk to folks in your own age group. I see no reason to segregate the forums any further, nor give the moderators more work to do. As has been mentioned, it could also open the blaze up to more liability due to Internet predator issues.

I'd suggest opening your own teen backpacking site up if you think the demand is there....or a Facebook club, or PMs through Whiteblaze, or a Yahoo group, etc..

Images

just created a facebook group for teens. heres the linkhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=52191855901&ref=mf

Images

If younger folks aren't able to interact with older folks on-line, what happens when they actually disconnect from the digital world and actually start walking on-trail?
    What? Me worry??

Images

Im not saying they cant. And nothing will happen if they disconnect from their digital world. I dont have a ipod and i only use a computer for hiking and stuff like that. But alot kids do think a phone is their life. yet its not. Im not saying that they wont be able to Interact with older folks.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    If younger folks aren't able to interact with older folks on-line, what happens when they actually disconnect from the digital world and actually start walking on-trail?
    Non sequitur. We have an all-female forum. It doesn't mean they can't interact with men. Or, wait...maybe it does.

Images

If I can use your own words, this seems to be exactly what you're saying ........ "Im not saying they cant. And nothing will happen if they disconnect from their digital world. I dont have a ipod and i only use a computer for hiking and stuff like that. But alot kids do think a phone is their life. yet its not. Im not saying that they wont be able to Interact with older folks."

Quote Originally Posted by outwardboundbackpack View Post
    just Created A Facebook Group For Teens. Heres The Linkhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=52191855901&ref=mf
    no We Shouldnt Becuase Most Of The Poeple Are Over 21 On Here. Its Easier To Realte To Them. This Forum Would Make It Easier To Lets Kids To Relatre To Eachother
    i Think Whiteblaze Should Create Another Category Just For Younger People. I Have Talking With Many Younger People Around My Age Up To 18 And They Feel Like They Cant Relate. I Will Help Write Things And Everything. I Am Trying To Get This Reconized So Everyone Post And Write What They Think
    Also, What Is With The Capital Letters? Some Kind Of Secret Code For The Young'uns?
    What? Me worry??

Images

The facebook is categroized as the hiking and getting to meet more people. The capital letters is just a habbit lol. I hate when i do it. i try not to but it happens

Images

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with my comment the other day about 14 year old clothing from Wal-Mart.

I was only joking around friend. I feel like we already have too many divisions in this life to go looking for more.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I hope this doesn't have anything to do with my comment the other day about 14 year old clothing from Wal-Mart.

I was only joking around friend. I feel like we already have too many divisions in this life to go looking for more.
    We can't trust anybody over 30!

That is, until you turn 30. Then we'll make it 40!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    ...What Is With The Capital Letters? Some Kind Of Secret Code For The Young'uns?
    This generation knows how to hit keys incredibly fast, but hasn't learned to spell.

Teachers are too concerned about people's self esteem to make corrections anymore

Notice those red lines under the words? It means they are misspelled.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++