WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hikin_jim View Post
    That actually is the most important thing. Decide first what your cooking style is and what you want out of a stove, and then pick the stove.

Eggs, prepared on a Jetboil:

HJ
    Many, many alcohol stoves on the market will cook eggs like that as long as you have a quality teflon coated pan, oil/margarine and know how to cook. Jetboils are only as good as the cook/chief using the equipment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Many, many alcohol stoves on the market will cook eggs like that as long as you have a quality teflon coated pan, oil/margarine and know how to cook. Jetboils are only as good as the cook/chief using the equipment.
    Oh yeah, having a picnic table makes it easy also

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Good point, a good stove doesn't make a good cook, and a good cook can do the job on a not so good stove.

Journal Entries
    Images

Used an alchol stove for the first time last weekend. Was a bit confusing mainly with the fuel count necessary. Took 2 oz's to boil 16 oz's.
    Was cold enough that the pond I went by had ice on the edges and the wind was pushing 20 mph at times. Another end that is going to take some getting used to is no sound and the fact the flame can't be seen. Had to refuel and relight once.

Journal Entries

I can't figure out why carry all these stoves that take up so much room. I used an esbit and it worked great. a tenth of the space of these stoves plus it heated water and would even boil the water. So it took a while longer. All I had was time.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I got my trail name (FarmerChef) for cooking crab chowder one night on the trail. When I go, I take my DIY penny stove and have actually prepared the above eggs from actual in the shell eggs in a nonstick pan. Just to up the ante, I dug a can of cinnamon rolls out of my pack and made 'em up like flapjacks that same morning. Mmmmm. The simmer ring on my alky allows me to cook food just like I do at home. I can even bake cakes on mine but that's a story for another time...

I've had some fun with a Jetboil Sol Al - it is very fast. But I gave it to my son. Why? Partly because it was his birthday, partly because he's always in a hurry, and partly because the Jetboil just isn't my style.

The Trangia always works. I don't have to babysit it. I can fry and simmer if I want to. It won't break because I step on it.

All I do is FB cook anymore, and the Jetboil certainly is the fastest water-boiling setup I've ever used. But speed means less to me than reliability. I own a Whitebox and a bunch of Trangias. Even though the WB is much lighter, I find myself carrying a Trangia setup most of the time. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old

Peachfuzz

Soda can hombre.

Alcohol you can get just about any where in the world but what I call gas cylinders change in just about every country - so almost impossible to buy the right standard canister for the cooker you take. After being caught out a couple of time I always now use alcohol, its no different to cook with but you do need a safty container for the fuel and its all a bit heavy - also be careful its out as the flame is not very visible and you can get a nasty burn or start a major blaze!

Quote Originally Posted by LovingCooking View Post
    I have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to try to make my own stove. There is a reason that they are sold in the stores in my opinion.
    Was this comment a joke? Please tell me, yes.

I did purchase the pan for the JetBoil. The heat exchanger works well. However, the moment you take it off the heat, the heat exchanger helps it to cool down faster.

For that reason, I use the provided adapter for my other pots and pans instead.

In this manner, the JetBoil works reasonably well for cooking. However, I limit that use to car camping or Rest Stops on a long-distance drive.

Most of the time, I use the JetBoil for boiling water for hot coffee at Rest Stops.

As I wrote earlier, I only take it backpacking if I have all lightweight or ultralightweight gear. Then, I take no other cookware, limiting all my cooking to Freezer bag Cooking.

I have used my jetboil for years and is normally better in colder conditions than my alcohol stoves. Although so far this year, due to the mild winter, i have been using the Evernew Titanium Alcohol stove.

Images

I have been using my Etowah alcohol stove for five years now, but wondered if the jet boil would be better. Then I checked the weight of each with the fuel and found that the alcohol stove was more to my liking for the weight, but the jet boil could be controlled for simmering and different cooking methods.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++