WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

One thing you might want to do is buy the DeLorme Atlases for MT and ID, cut out the appropriate pages and carry them with you. They're helpful for making the "as you go" decisions based on fire closures, etc. They have GPS grids in case you really get lost, have a GPS, and get off the Ley maps (not all that hard to do in places). It's a good exercise to pencil in the route(s) from the Ley maps onto the DeLorme pages. State road maps might help with bailouts and end-of-hike decisions.

The only mail drop I did in MT was Benchmark. Ditto the ETA info, and call from East Glacier when you have an exact day. I did another at Brooks Lake Lodge in WY.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One thing you might want to do is buy the DeLorme Atlases for MT and ID, cut out the appropriate pages and carry them with you.
    Yes, I've read that advice in a couple of places today. Will do that. I down loaded the Ley maps for MT from http://francistapon.com today (and bought his ebook "Hike Your Own Hike: 7 life lessons from the trail", which looks like it will be an entertaining read) and after browsing a few of these maps, I can see where a larger overview will be handy. I can also see where a GPS will be handy to decide which way to go at a trail junction. Pick the wrong one and you end up at a dead end.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++