WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    When I went through there is '04, a group came through in ATVs, no bolt-cutters needed, and proceeded to shoot up the area around 1am. The shelter and the road need to be completely erased.
    Gov. Clements shelter was known to be a problem well before 2004. A bunch of us congregated there mid-day, but then everyone moved on. I continued on to Clarendon shelter and tented. Had a great time at Clarendon -- some local had hauled in at least a cord or two of firewood, so we had quite the bonfire. It was mid-August 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Gov. Clements shelter was known to be a problem well before 2004.
    I was aware of that and was glad of it. Our stealth site by the river went unnoticed, but the gunfire at night was a little unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Gov. Clements shelter was known to be a problem well before 2004. A bunch of us congregated there mid-day, but then everyone moved on. I continued on to Clarendon shelter and tented. Had a great time at Clarendon -- some local had hauled in at least a cord or two of firewood, so we had quite the bonfire. It was mid-August 2002.
    2002? Terrapin I think I met you on Bromley Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    2002? Terrapin I think I met you on Bromley Mountain.
    Could be. I was there around mid-day, a sunny day. I recall crowds of thru hikers gathered at the summit; they were planning to stay the night and watch the meteor shower. I hiked down and spent the next couple of nights at Frank Sutton's place in Manchester (waiting on a maildrop...)

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Stayed there in '08. It was beautiful. Thought the big red "Staples" button was kinda cool too. In the morning, the folks gave us sodas and fresh cut melon!

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Yes, right turn at the road. The shelter is not very far off the road and is usually visible early on (if you look closely) once you're on the path toward it.
    So, finally getting back to finish up VT from my 2008 visit. At present GMC reports that the AT/LT is on the roads due to storm damage between Gov Clement and [Lower] Cold River Rd. Is the path to the shelter off of Upper Cold River Rd between Gillman Rd and the AT/LT? Is it to the north or south of the road?

Or I'll find out on Sunday,

Cosmo

Images

No one is taking the road walk detour unless there have been hard rains. The only reason the detour exists this year is because a bridge was washed away. Put on your Crocs and ford !!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Since the Gov Clement Shelter has been renovated and the access road gated, most hikers do not stop at the Secret Shelter
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Since the Gov Clement Shelter has been renovated and the access road gated, most hikers do not stop at the Secret Shelter
    I read a lot about the Secret Shelter in hikers journals, in 2008. I'm thrilled to hear that the access road has been gated and the shelter there has been renovated.

The Secret Shelter is great. Highly recommended.

I wasn't even thinking about it until I was way passed it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

That's too bad. I thought Vermont's secret shelter was quite nice when we went there, a number of years ago now.
    In fact, even the privy was nice and unique. When we were there, there was a coffee table book about outhouses in the outhouse.

further north near Madonna Peak, there's a couple nice "secret" warming huts on some side trails off the Long Trail.... hikers can use them.....a GMC trail worker was telling me about them last month

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've heard a rumor that Swan Song is no longer available? I have not seen any recent posts about it. I didn't know about it during my '12 Sobo section. I'm planning an LT E2E and would love to stay there.
    Last edited by LDog; 09-17-2018 at 07:36. Reason: to correct an auto-speell error
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    I've heard a rumor that Swan Song is no longer available? I have not seen any recent posts about it. I didn't know about it during my '12 Sobo section. I'm planning an LT E2E and would love tasty there.
    "tasty there"?

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    "tasty there"?
    "To Stay". (friggin auto-speel)
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I just went thru this area nobo and saw no sings of this place. However I did tent at gov shelter and it was a pleasant stay right before walking over killington the next morning. The water source at Gov clem shelter is flowing like a river
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Here is what the Secret Shelter looked like during my section hike in 2005. Was fairly new then. I don't remember the privy.

The guy who built it was cool. He stopped by the Clement shelter where I was resting. Invited me to his 'secret shelter.' Glad I tood him up on his offer. There was beer in the creek.

P6104099.JPG
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

AFAIK, the gate is seasonal as the road leads to private property and cannot be permanently closed.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. photon View Post
    AFAIK, the gate is seasonal as the road leads to private property and cannot be permanently closed.
    Unless maybe the property owner doesn't want it open? Or they have a key to open it when they want to access their property. The gate was closed to keep the local rift raft from driving in and partying.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++