WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default iphone vs. droid razr

Weight, battery life, ease of use, best options, best camera, optional battery pack (I know apple doesn't have removable battery) As a side note, can these devices be used without service simply as music players, cameras, and data storage. Do either have removable memory card like a digital camera?
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

www.verizon.com. Use the "compare" function. Also, try calling the nice folks at Verizon, I'm sure they can help.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

Just because Apple is looking for world domination some of us (myself) did not want to spend the money. PC World recommended Motorola Atrix for ATT
    and Verizon's Galaxy Nexus.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I do not believe the RAZR has a removable battery either. Game changer for me....

Images

Once you have an iPhone you won't want any other phone. I have had countless phones from all carriers (in my area) and my iPhone has been the best so far. If the camera option is important, the iPhone 4S is the phone you want. Best camera on a phone available.

Images

IMMHO, Get the Iphone and avoid the Motorola. I have had so many problems with my Droid X Crashing and going thru multiple reboot cycles. The GPS tends to cause it to lock up. I also have discovered, along with another coworker, that when we land at cities with different time zones, it takes up to 30-45 minutes for the phone to go through reboot cycles after it freezes/locks up when turning maps on, which renders it useless when getting into a rental car. My wife has the droid2 and has many issues when typing. It seems there is always multiple keyboard strikes (known issue) "so wwhen she tyyypess a sssentttence itttt lookkkkks likkkkke thhhhhis" Very annoying. Most of my coworkers have all moved to the Iphones - 4, & 4S - All without problems - This is a daily conversation amongst the 12 of us..... Those that haven't switched yet are waiting for their Verizon plans to allow them an upgrade (as am I). I am very aggravated with the Droid and have decided against another Motorola "anything"..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Neither the iphone nor the Droid X have removable batteries. I think the Droid X has a good bit longer battery life though.

The biggest issue I have with iphone4S is lack of 4G. 4G is so much faster.

Wierd. My DroidX has been troublefree and this includes being on the road nonstop for the past 4months. Same with everyone else I know. Makes me wonder what you and your friends have done in common to your phones (perhaps a bad app).

Back to the opening question. Even without service, you can use most smartphone's camera, mp3 player, GPS, etc, as long as the app itself doesn't need a cell connection. Battery life and weight can be had by comparing phones in most online cell stores. Be aware that using the GPS will more quickly drain the battery then what is listed. Many phones take microSD cards, but the access can hidden with the battery. Ease of use or best options depends on the user and opinions will reflect that.

I vote against both the iPhone and the razr. There are better android phones out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Neither the iphone nor the Droid X have removable batteries. I think the Droid X has a good bit longer battery life though.

The biggest issue I have with iphone4S is lack of 4G. 4G is so much faster.
    I think you meant the Droid Razr. the Droid X has a removable battery.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I think you meant the Droid Razr. the Droid X has a removable battery.
    Woops, you are right.

iPhone is so much "smarter" than android devices.

Images

No fisrt hand experience with the Razr, but a coworker just bought one (he got sick of waiting for the Phone 4S over the hoiday rush) and already regrets it. His biggest grip is battery life, he says it only lasts about 1/2 a day with just moderate use (texting, litening to music, that sort of thing).

I switched from a Droid to a Iphone 4S in October and an completely satisfied. Iphone hasn't crashed or frozen once (unlike the older Droid) and the battery will easily last me all day, even with very heany use.

I think you are on the right track for your phone - a user replaceable battery is imperative if you're going to use it as you hike. I hiked with an original Droid and had 2 extra batteries. I only used the 3rd one a couple of times and often when I knew I was heading to town the next day so I'd catch a baseball game or listen to music at night in the tent.

Airplane mode is critical - the phone will kill battery trying to find a signal.

Carrier is probably more important than phone - Verizon has the best AT coverage.

I think the Razr has gorilla glass, but it is so thin that it is susceptable to being bent/stressed. A sturdier phone may be better for the rigors of backpacking.

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I vote against both the iPhone and the razr. There are better android phones out there.
    Like??? I went yesterday and they had a promotion on a Samsung Stratosphere for free with new 2 yr. contract. The rep. said Samsung has one of the best cameras on the market....for a phone. And great battery life, with removable micro sd memory card and removable battery. Anybody got one of these?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...SCH-I405LKAVZW
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Journal Entries
    Images

The software and voice recognition on Iphone is awesome - I don't want to pay for that and my Motorola Atrix is awesome and tons of free software on it... I never had any issues and Yes the battery is changeable.

Where do you guys get this stuff?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Battery powered USB charger.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

I do not have any experience with this, but it looks interesting. There are several other rechargers out there for the iPhone. Try googling for them.

Images

If you keep your phone off and only use it when you need to not as a music box, the battery will last until the next recharge. I have never had a problem with many different phones up to 12 days. What am I missing? Do people want to have the phone on all the time in case mommy calls?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

It amazes me whenever I hear people talking up their IPhone or other device and bragging that the battery lasts the entire day!

I carry a TracPhone, turn it on when I need it, battery lasts two weeks easily.

I carry a Nikon DSLR, battery lasts a week and a half minimum. Extra battery weighs about an oz and adds another week and a half. I take quite a few photos.

On the few occasions I wanted music, I carry a dedicated MP3 player whose battery lasts for several days to a week, listening about an hour or two each night.

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to a device that needs charging once a day, if you are lucky? Doesn't make any sense to me, even when at home.

No "do it all" devices for me thank you.

The biggest reason I chose an iPhone over a droid was the ass store. Apple tests every single app before putting it on the app store to be sure it is free of viruses, malware and spyware. The android apps do not go through testing. Anyone can make an app and just put it on the store. You don't know if you are getting viruses or spyware or what.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dshideler View Post
    ass store.
    Man, my wife wont let me go to the ass store.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++