WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Starting on Saturday, July 7th

Ok - I'm starting a westbound hike on Saturday July, 7. I don't necessarily want to hike in lock step with anyone but it would be fun to see who I might be roaming with. I plan on mailing all of my gear to some mailbox place or hotel near DIA - I'll fly in on the 6th - I'll probably hit up an outfitter for a can of fuel, a grocery for a few perishables (block of cheese maybe) and be on my way to Waterton Canyon. I've got Yogi's guide and directions by bus, light rail and the Jeffco call and ride and will do all of this as expediently as possible on the morning of the 7th. The big deal is that I only have about 20 days +/- to hike. I'm pretty fast but I am not expecting to finish on this trip - I'm thinking about 18 actual hiking days at 18 miles per day average - this is about 325 miles - we'll see how it goes but if I go slow, I'll only make it to Monarch Mountain Lodge (mile 253) - optimistically, I'll make it to Creede. If I'm really flying, I won't rule out finishing the trail but that's a long shot - I want to have fun. - I'll also build in a full day to shuttle back to DIA (by whatever means I can). Next year, I'll return to finish the trail west of where ever I stop this year. This year, my family wants me home by the end of the month. That's my plan - - like I said, I don't want to hike with you (as in, wait on you or have to catch up to you or share gear with you) but it would be fun to know who I'll be "hiking along side" and maybe drinking a beer with in Breckenridge and so forth ...... best to yall, papa d

You may want to edit your thread title (if possible) to reflect the July 7 start.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You may want to edit your thread title (if possible) to reflect the July 7 start.
    wow - you are right - not sure why I put in the 20th - not sure how to edit a thread title ??

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    wow - you are right - not sure why I put in the 20th - not sure how to edit a thread title ??
    Have the moderator do it (it is now done..)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wow, Moderator, your control and get-her-done are impressive. Like it. Bring it on...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Have the moderator do it (it is now done..)
    wow - great - thanks - took the data book with me to work today and perused it at lunch - looking forward to my trip - - hope to hike with some of you folks

Hi - I am starting on Monday 2nd July (fly in on the Sunday and staying at hotel near airport) and will be at it untill mid August. Im not fast (maybe 10 miles a day) so you will probably pass me on the way. I will be the Brit with the large red pack and currently have no walking buddy.
    Im still puzzling over how to get to the start point at the Canyon so any pointers would be great - know that the bus will nearly get me there but is a Taxi feasible for the last few miles as I am not up to speed with public transportation in the US?

Patch

Hmmm.... A hotel near the airport? Sure, it'll be convenient when you land, but IMO, on the Sunday you'll be a man on a mission. Your mission will be:

1) Hit the supermarket to buy supplies for the first stage of your hike.
    2) Hit the outfitter/gas station to buy stove fuel (you're not planning to fly with stove fuel, right?)
    3) Hit the REI store to buy any last minute bits of gear such as Aqua Mira.
    4) Hit the post office to mail a re-supply package up the trail (at 10 miles per day you'll be 11 days to Breckenridge...you're not planning to carry 11 days of food, right?)
    5) Hit the liquor store to buy a bottle of "ground softener" that you can nip from every night before bedtime.

With all of those chores to complete before your Monday departure, IMO you should select a motel that is near public transit (light rail) and near a supermarket. Without a good location, there's no chance you'll get all of those chores done. Personally, I elected to stay in the Denver Tech Centre neighbourhood which is right on a rail line. The neighbourhood is dead and boring, but the rooms are cheap and they're handy to transit. Google Maps will help you find out whether there's a grocery store near you motel.

The other advantage of staying near a transit line is that it will probably be less expensive when you want to actually hit the trail. You can take the train to the very last station on the line and then call a taxi, which will cost $3 for the transit ticket and then perhaps $20-30 for the taxi ride. If you are staying at the airport, you'll end up paying a cabbie $75 or $100 to take you to the trailhead.

You still have lots of time to make your arrangements, but I cannot encourage you enough to spend some time using google maps, the RTD system map and hotels.com to select a motel location that will work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Busker View Post
    Hi - I am starting on Monday 2nd July (fly in on the Sunday and staying at hotel near airport) and will be at it untill mid August. Im not fast (maybe 10 miles a day) so you will probably pass me on the way. I will be the Brit with the large red pack and currently have no walking buddy.
    Im still puzzling over how to get to the start point at the Canyon so any pointers would be great - know that the bus will nearly get me there but is a Taxi feasible for the last few miles as I am not up to speed with public transportation in the US?

Patch
    From Mags' website: Here's how to get to the trailhead via public transport: -

Here's the link to the entire site:http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

Hi,
    Thanks for the directions and hotel tips, it will be pretty helpful. I have booked and paid for the hotel already so I have to live with this.
    I will hopefully be able to get the missing stuff the day before as I will be flying in on the Sunday and to be honest all I really need is the alchol for my stove (even though I dont see what the difference between taking this on the plane as opposed to the and 1/2 bottle of whisky that will be in my pack).
    I am going to take 7+ days of food with me and see how I get on - maybe I will be faster on this trail as thier doesnt seem to be so much up and down work as others I have done. Also will have spent a couple of weeks previous doing some walking so should be well prepared and hit the ground running.

Thanks

So can you average more than 10 mpd? The looming issue for you in the begininng is your ability to acclimate. If you acclimate easily, you'll reach Breckenridge in 7 days where you can resupply, slackpack over Tenmile (if you choose), and then continue on. Hope everything works for you!

I find that altitude is a bit hit and miss - I have been up to 20000 feet with no problem on one trip and then suffered on another at less then 10000. I thought their were some minor resuply points before Brekenridge and was going to use these if I ran into problems - I know their isnt much at these but probably enough for me to limp in if I am desperate?
    I should be OK at 10 mpd and have done a lot more than this at times (probably double) but just found that pushing it to hard always brings out the injuries and to be honest I have enough aches and pains to contend with without adding to them :-)

I am trying to cut the stuff I carry down to a minimum as its more fun this way but I think that going out with less then 7 days of food is not sensible.

Any tips on the trail would be handy...not being from around these parts.

Regards

Patch

Well I certainly agree not to push things, especially in the beginning. That's my philosphy as well. The only problem is that 10 mpd vis-a-vis 7 days of food means you have to resupply before Breckenridge and pre-Breck options are not impossible but limited.

This thread is an excellent discussion of supply options: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...esupply-points

The major other tip for you is water. Unlike when I thru'd last year following a wet/snowy winter, this year is much drier. Granted your early start helps things but be mindful of limited water options in Segments 16-18 and the first 7 miles of Segment 19 plus most of Segments 26-27. If you read my journal (link below), you'll see how we dealt with water on those segments. The journal will also give you a good idea of our camping locales.

Best wishes on your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Busker View Post
    I am trying to cut the stuff I carry down to a minimum as its more fun this way but I think that going out with less then 7 days of food is not sensible.

Well, IMO, you've got two basic options. First, you can pack 7 days of food, and haul 15 miles per day to end up in Breck on day 7. The first part of the trail is not super hard. You start out at about 5,000 feet in Denver and slowly work your way up to about 12,000 feet in Georgia Pass on day 6.

The second option is, if you truly expect that it will require 10 or 11 days to make it to Breck, you are best to buy a little extra food, and split your food bag into two. The first half you carry out of Denver, and the second half to mail up the trail to one of the towns near the trail, such as Bailey.

If you try to carry 11 days of food, you may be miserable because it should weigh 20-25 pounds. On the second day, you will be crossing a burned out area that has no water for 10 miles, so you'll be carrying extra water too. A day in the hot sun in segment two with the food weight and the extra water weight might be brutal (you should be expecting that the temperature for segment 2 might be 90-100 degrees F, or 33-38 degrees celsius with NO shade).

You can always try to scrabble together a re-supply in one of those small towns, but you really shouldn't expect more than gas station fare (potato chips, chocolate bars, other?).

Images

Hey man - I'll plan on catching up with you and at least camping with you one night - - I'm worried a bit about water sources on the trail - - we may all have to camel up here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    .... On the second day, you will be crossing a burned out area that has no water for 10 miles, so you'll be carrying extra water too. A day in the hot sun in segment two with the food weight and the extra water weight might be brutal (you should be expecting that the temperature for segment 2 might be 90-100 degrees F, or 33-38 degrees celsius with NO shade).

You can always try to scrabble together a re-supply in one of those small towns, but you really shouldn't expect more than gas station fare (potato chips, chocolate bars, other?).
    Here's how we handled Segment 2: after camping the first night at Bear Creek, we got to the Platte River, cooked our dinners there, cameled up, and carried perhaps one extra liter of water than normal. Didn't leave the Platte (beginning of Seg. 2) until late afternoon, dry camped that night, got an early start the next morning before the heat of the day, and made it before well before noon to the Segment end where a nearby firehouse has water available.

The General Store in Jefferson, though small, has a decent deli where you can get a sandwich.

Busker, I've got at least 4 years on you and I wasn't in tip-top shape plus I had acclimation problems on Days 1 and 3. If I can make it to Breck in 8 days, you can make it in 7.

Images

I'm aiming for Breckenridge in 5 days, 4 nights - need to make it there on the 5th day in time to hit the hostel for a shower and the brew-pub for an Avalanche Beer!

20 to 25 lb of food (11 kg to us Europeans :-) ) is a wee bit excessive to my mind. Thats why I am saying 7 days and it will probably be closer to 10 lb if I can get some sandwichs, snacks and crisps on the way (so now I am sure everything will be OK) - the more I carry the less chance I have of doing it but each day I walk the load gets lighter anyhow. I always tend to pack heavy anyhow (35 lb) which is maybe why I only average 10 mpd. The water I can live with but the heat could be difficult espically if its high humidity as well.
    Maybe I will try the PO forwarding as a back up as it wouldnt hurt sending a few lb of food - but I am always a bit nervous about relying on this though.

"Hey ho, onwards and upwards apart from the downhill parts" was what my old headmaster used to say - mind you he died on Mont Blanc when he fell of.

[QUOTE=Busker;1285461The water I can live with but the heat could be difficult especially if its high humidity as well.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't become too concerned about humidity. Colorado's climate is, generally speaking, semi-arid. Statewide, average annual precipitation is only 17 inches, although some places in the San Luis Valley average 7 inches, and some mountains see 60 inches on their Western faces. It's not just a matter of rainfall, but also a matter of altitude. The sun/UV index are rather intense, so moisture tends to evaporate quickly.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Ok - I'm starting a westbound hike on Saturday July, 7. I don't necessarily want to hike in lock step with anyone but it would be fun to see who I might be roaming with. I plan on mailing all of my gear to some mailbox place or hotel near DIA - I'll fly in on the 6th - I'll probably hit up an outfitter for a can of fuel, a grocery for a few perishables (block of cheese maybe) and be on my way to Waterton Canyon. I've got Yogi's guide and directions by bus, light rail and the Jeffco call and ride and will do all of this as expediently as possible on the morning of the 7th. The big deal is that I only have about 20 days +/- to hike. I'm pretty fast but I am not expecting to finish on this trip - I'm thinking about 18 actual hiking days at 18 miles per day average - this is about 325 miles - we'll see how it goes but if I go slow, I'll only make it to Monarch Mountain Lodge (mile 253) - optimistically, I'll make it to Creede. If I'm really flying, I won't rule out finishing the trail but that's a long shot - I want to have fun. - I'll also build in a full day to shuttle back to DIA (by whatever means I can). Next year, I'll return to finish the trail west of where ever I stop this year. This year, my family wants me home by the end of the month. That's my plan - - like I said, I don't want to hike with you (as in, wait on you or have to catch up to you or share gear with you) but it would be fun to know who I'll be "hiking along side" and maybe drinking a beer with in Breckenridge and so forth ...... best to yall, papa d
    I hope you at elast get to finish section 21, it is awesome when you rise before dropping onto snow mesa and then whala....snow mesa (which is so cool). Good luck again with your hike, footing is much better there than we are used to on the east coast (except right before and after snow mesa). I believe if you can do 18 on the AT you could do 21+ out there. Altitude and weather arebthe only wild cards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++