WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default best place to send Fontana mail drop

I'm starting from Springer on April 2nd, and will be buying my resupply as I go or have my husband send items as needed. One box I am sending ahead of time is to Fontana Dam, as I have noted that this area has limited resupply options. Does anyone have any suggestions for exactly where to send a mail drop to? I'd like to avoid the post office, a) because it's closed on the weekends and b) it was closed earlier this year and is back open, for now.

Is Fontana Village a better place to mail to than the actual Fontana Dam address? Is there an outfitter or a good place to send a mail drop to? Specific info would be great.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The store in Fontana Village had a reasonable selection for resupply when I was there last year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

i also need the same drop... i looked into this site on wb, and it gave address at fontana dam,nc, 50 fontana rd. fontana dam, nc 28733-6105..... is this the post office?
    eveready

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Other than the P.O. the only place nearby that I know of that you can send a mail drop is the Hike Inn.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Mail it to the front desk at the village.

Images

sent mine to post office. they were very helpful. the day i was there the electric was off, for the whole town. they were replacing a turbine thingamajigger at the dam.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mcrainbow View Post
    Mail it to the front desk at the village.
    I'd call them first to make sure they accept packages. The AT Guide doesn't indicate they do.
    Maybe if you stay at the Inn they might. I stayed there, it was almost too nice for hiker trash
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Garlic
    Images

Another option I found quite by mistake is to resupply at Stecoah Gap, 15 trail miles from Fontana Dam. It's an easy hitch or yogi to Robbinsville, a few miles west, where there's a full grocery and restaurant. The extra 15 miles was worth it, for me, to not have to stop in Fontana. I carried enough to get me through the Smokies, then bought a few things at Standing Bear hostel for the hike to Hot Springs. Worked great and avoided Gatlinburg.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for all the tips!

300 Woods Dr Fontana Dam NC 28733, the Fontana Village Resort, will hold boxes for thru hikers (confirmed from the Resort receptionist by phone today). They are open 24 hours and you don't need to stay there.

The AWOL guide suggests the Fontana Lodge- PO Box 68, Hwy 28 North, Fontana Dam NC 28733. The Hike Inn will hold drop boxes for guests, and their address is 3204 Fontana Road, Fontana Dam.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Another option I found quite by mistake is to resupply at Stecoah Gap, 15 trail miles from Fontana Dam. It's an easy hitch or yogi to Robbinsville, a few miles west, where there's a full grocery and restaurant. The extra 15 miles was worth it, for me, to not have to stop in Fontana. I carried enough to get me through the Smokies, then bought a few things at Standing Bear hostel for the hike to Hot Springs. Worked great and avoided Gatlinburg.
    You have me convinced that this is the place to re-load. I would prob resupply at Gat unless I'm cruising.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I, too, found the store to be well supplied by AT standards. The post office is next door and there is a laudromat as well.

Images

If you stay at The Hike Inn, they will drive you to Robbinsville to resupply and grab dinner. Great folks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by mdp9 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips!

300 Woods Dr Fontana Dam NC 28733, the Fontana Village Resort, will hold boxes for thru hikers (confirmed from the Resort receptionist by phone today). They are open 24 hours and you don't need to stay there.

The AWOL guide suggests the Fontana Lodge- PO Box 68, Hwy 28 North, Fontana Dam NC 28733. The Hike Inn will hold drop boxes for guests, and their address is 3204 Fontana Road, Fontana Dam.
    I had no problems resupplying at the little store, but for those who want to take advantage of the service offered by the resort should use the following address:

Your name
    ATTN: Front Desk—Hold for A.T. Hiker
    Fontana Village Resort
    300 Woods Dr.
    Fontana Dam, NC 28733

Using the address suggested by the AWOL guide sends your package to the post office which kinda defeats the purpose of what you are trying to accomplish.

Images

I think that Robbinsville should be a designated "trail town" - yes, it is a ways off of the trail to the west but it has a grocery, pizza hut, PO, and some gas stations - what else could you want. It's a pretty easy hitch from Stecoah Gap about 8 miles to the west. A little easier that loading up at NOC or Bryson City for the trek through the smokies and more convenient than a mail drop at the visitors center desk at Fontana - - I agree that it's not perfect and is a wee bit of an adventure, but I'm going ahead and suggesting it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The store in Fontana Village had a reasonable selection for resupply when I was there last year.
    i agree. i resupplied out of that store 17 years in a row. no mail drop needed

also agree with Don and Wolf, in 2010 i mail dropped there and found the store was plenty stocked, and the place was packed with thru hikers. several years ago they must have missed a shipment of ramen and somebody started a rumor that you cant buy food there.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

++ New Posts ++