WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Jon-e Remember Hand Warmers?

Ok perhaps a question for Zelph I have one of these inexpensive products and apparently it runs on Kerosene? Has anyone tried White Gas (Coleman) or some other Gas?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

As I recall it was lighter fluid.

Images

I have one as well. Only problem is I gt a rash where it is close to my skin, when it is burning.
    I think Jon-E fluid is Naptha which is like a very, very light form of Kerosene -. Don't use WG. you'll catch fire...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I may still have an old one somewhere! I recall lighter fluid, as well. Don't think I ever tried kerosene.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I have one as well. Only problem is I gt a rash where it is close to my skin, when it is burning.
    I think Jon-E fluid is Naptha which is like a very, very light form of Kerosene -. Don't use WG. you'll catch fire...
    I'm pretty sure lighter fluid = naptha = white gas

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had one in the mid 70's. I don't know what happened to it. I looked around in a store a while back but couldn't find them. There was a type that used solid fuel sticks I believe.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I'm pretty sure lighter fluid = naptha = white gas

I agree with the second two terms of your equation, but I think that lighter fluid is actually made from naptha. If that's true, I'm not sure whether or not it would work in one of these heaters. Might well, though, since I recall that the fuel saturated a batting of some kind in the fuel tank. Should minimize any flareups.

I've had both the Jon-e liquid fuel and the solid fuel pocket warmers (heaters) for years now, and one of these years I am actually going to try them again.

I remember having a Jon-e back in the 1950's and I used it for winter hunting trips as a way to keep my hands warm, especially with those light shooting gloves we carried.

I just looked. The Jon-e fuel can states "Excellent for lighters". It doesn't give much more information, other than "Contains VM & P. Naptha".

I would take that as a hint that lighter fluid could work, as I know kerosene won't work in a lighter - the spark isn't hot enough to get ignition (yeah, tried it years ago).

I'm not about to try white gas in either a lighter or in a Jon-e heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Nope, naptha is more like white gas than it like kerosene.

Both kero and lighter fluid have a higher flash point and burn much more slowly.

A solid fuel handwarmer is probably safer, but I'd go with a rechargeable handwarmer gel pack if I wanted to carry something extra.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I did a little Googling on the subject of naptha. According to Wiccipedia, there are different napthas. One has more carbon atoms, is heavier, and one has fewer carbon atoms and is lighter. I was only aware of the second. My father used to use it as a cheaper alternative to Coleman fuel until he found out that it gave off more dangerous vapors.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok perhaps a question for Zelph I have one of these inexpensive products and apparently it runs on Kerosene? Has anyone tried White Gas (Coleman) or some other Gas?
    Use only lighter fluid and follow directions given by Jon-e

Google for the instructions. Place a match along side the burner head as directed in the instructions.

Don't use alcohol

Don't over fill. Measure out the recommended fuel amount.

I can not over emphasize the importance of following the instructions.

I have tried other fuels............they don't work.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Spirit View Post
    I had one in the mid 70's. I don't know what happened to it. I looked around in a store a while back but couldn't find them. There was a type that used solid fuel sticks I believe.
    They are still cheap on the internet.

Thank's Zelph!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-21-2011 at 10:29. Reason: he replied
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Besides having spent a number of years in the petroleum business as well as owning a new version of those hand warmers I am certain that the best fuel is lighter fluid: cheap, readily available and easily stored/carried. Naptha is not kero or gas. In a pinch I believe it would be a close substitute for lighter fluid, it has multiple other uses: paint thinner, cleaner, etc. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GAS.

Thumbs up Bsw...

Quote Originally Posted by baddog View Post
    ... the best fuel is lighter fluid: cheap, readily available and easily stored/carried. Naptha is not kero or gas. In a pinch I believe it would be a close substitute for lighter fluid, it has multiple other uses: paint thinner, cleaner, etc. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GAS.
    I used to carry a can of Ronson's Lighter Fluid on my boy scout troop hikes to use to start campfires. Totally not in the Boy Scout Handbook, but very useful in a pinch. The scoutmaster even borrowed it one damp day to get the fire going! We called it "Boy Scout Water".

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

After unpacking from moving, I just found my Jon-e Warmer last month after 20 years. They do use lighter fluid. Filled mine and lit it...still works great. I used it the next day for hunting. If I remember from years past, it will burn you if you don't put it in it's little flannel bag and even in the bag will give you heat rash if it is against your skin.

geek

After unpacking from moving, I just found my Jon-e Warmer last month after 20 years. They do use lighter fluid. Filled mine and lit it...still works great. I used it the next day for hunting. If I remember from years past, it will burn you if you don't put it in it's little flannel bag and even in the bag will give you heat rash if it is against your skin.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post

geek
    After reading this post, (I know post is a little old), I dug out my Jon-e hand warmer. Still have original instructions, and it says: "Use only these fuels for best results, Jon-e Fluid, Energine (inflammable) cleaning fluid, regular naptha, stove and lamp (white) gasoline. Some lighter fluids will NOT work, however these give fair results: Energine lighter fluid, Zippo, Ronsonol, and Gulf."

Walmart stocks Ronsonol lighter fluid it works fine. I still use mine for winter camping, makes a great sleeping bag warmer compared to carrying a bulkier bag and hard to beat when standing around. We used to carry a few of them for winter campouts with boy scouts just in case they had inadequate sleeping bags.

They burn clean but still should be used in a ventilated area. Not sure if I would want to use one in zipped up bivy covered with snow

Quote Originally Posted by blangeb View Post
    After reading this post, (I know post is a little old), I dug out my Jon-e hand warmer. Still have original instructions, and it says: "Use only these fuels for best results, Jon-e Fluid, Energine (inflammable) cleaning fluid, regular naptha, stove and lamp (white) gasoline. Some lighter fluids will NOT work, however these give fair results: Energine lighter fluid, Zippo, Ronsonol, and Gulf."
    What about charcoal lighter. Is it more volatile than white gas?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Spirit View Post
    Zippo makes them now. you can get them off of Amazon, for example.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++